Project Attack Vector Tactical Project: assistance?

StevoPistolero

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am working on modeling the fleet of ships from Attack Vector: Tactical, a realistic space combat board game. I am going to model and texture the ships. I know a little coding and will strive to make custom DLLs for the vessels, based on the flight performance characteristics in the AVT rule books.

My most ambitious challenge is to take some of the space combat rules and code them into an MFD, creating a space combat MFD, which I don't think anyone has really pulled off before. I know this is doable because, well, it is a table top game, so purely statistically driven space combat. No missiles launching or mesh creation and deletion, no explosions, just text. Given a distance to a target and a given weapon class results in damage points when fired. Damage points are allocated using die rolls to tell you which components are damaged or destroyed on the enemy vessel. Conceivably you could have the enemy fire back and give you damage reports. The only parameters I need are, at a minimum, ship's distance, maybe mass, and the orientation of the target ship relative to the player's ship. and the rest would all be random number generation and tables.

I would like to mock-up the combat module in another language first (I do know some coding) but I do not know C++ or the orbiter API well enough to write the MFD. There are no tutorials on MFD creation to speak of, apart from a few code examples which may or may not have documentation.

Is anyone else interested in helping me develop this project? Even just a basic MFD that reports the distance to another vessel would really help get me started.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about making a single generic DLL for all AVT vessels, that implements the space combat mechanics? You can then also just plug mostly board game data into the configuration files and also later add visual damage effects.

Gendo

Reaction score
I haven't watched all of this guy's MDF making videos, but it might help with that. The 5 part Bomb MFD tutorials may be the most helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/computerex/videos

Every time I come back to trying to comprehend the Visual Studio stuff I get a headache again. lol

Last edited: