Apollo Maneuvers and Procedures

ASCII

Reaction score
I am looking for more resources on the Apollo 11 Mission.
I already have access to the flight plans, press kits, and mission reports.

I am looking for more information on the attitudes and maneuvers that were used for the TD&E and LM undocking.

The flight plans talk about an SPS burn that was done when the CSM/LM was ejected from the S-IVB. How do I know which direction, and how much?

I also know that a certain inertial attitude is required for successful undocking of the LM before landing. I am looking for details on this.

What do the other AMSOers use out there?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Look for the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal on the NASA homepage. (ALSJ, google is your friend)

It contains the checklists of some missions and flight plans. As well as detailled descriptions of the maneuvers during flight.

ASCII

Reaction score
All good sites, but I still can't find the information I am looking for.
The flight plans state that the S-IVB goes into ORB rate, within 20 seconds of TLI. Does it stay in this attitude all the way through ejection?

Apparently, after ejection, the CSM fires the SPS to decrease deltaV by 19.7fps. But there is no indication as to the direction. Thrusting without changing attitude would smash them right back into the S-IVB.

ASCII

Reaction score
All good sites, but I still can't find the information I am looking for.
The flight plans state that the S-IVB goes into ORB rate, within 20 seconds of TLI. Does it stay in this attitude all the way through ejection?

Apparently, after ejection, the CSM fires the SPS to decrease deltaV by 19.7fps. But there is no indication as to the direction. Thrusting without changing attitude would smash them right back into the S-IVB.

Am I just looking for details that are no quite relevant to the simulation?

Last edited:

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
I dont recall them doing a SPS burn, the SPS is actually used very little in the flight, to do a burn to make you get away from the S4B that will be used by the RCS not SPS.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean all the way through the TLI burn? My understanding was that the TLI burn was done in a static direction (IMFD has a option for this type of burn).

Otherwise, if you mean extraction, the extraction was done with inertial rates nulled (ie, not at orb rate) to make it easier to line the CM up with the LM. The attitude for this was selected so that the sun would be behind the CM to best illuminate the docking target.

ASCII

Reaction score
Ah, very interesting.
Yes that makes sense.
I guess i'm just trying to make sense of the flight plans.

the flight plan I am using says this after TLI:

AT SECO: SIV-B INERTIAL
AT SECO +20 SEC: SIV-B TO
LOCAL HORIZONTAL ORB RATE,
GEADS DOWN
But doesn't reference any other attitudes until after the TD&E.

AS far as the SPS burn is concerned, I don't see it referenced in any other mission except Apollo 11, so it is possible that they did away with it after that mission.

The Mission Report states that:
Translunar Injection
The S-IVB J-2 engine will be reignited during the second parking orbit (first opportunity)
to inject the SV combination into a translunar trajectory. The second opportunity for
TLI will occur on the third parking orbit. The TLI burn will be biased for a small overburn
to compensate for the Service Propulsion System (SPS)evasive maneuver that will
be performed after ejection of the LM/CSM from the S-IVB/IU/SLA.
At approximately 1 hour 45 minutes after TLI_ a spacecraft evasive maneuver will be
performed using the SPS to decrease the probability of S-IVB recontact, to avoid ice
particles expected to be expelled by the S-IVB during LOX dump, and to provide an
early SPS confidence burn. This SPS burn will be performed in a direction and of a
duration and magnitude that will compensate for the TLI bias mentioned before. The
evasive maneuver will place the docked spacecraft_ as shown in Figure 12_ on a free
return circumlunar trajectory. A free return to earth

These questions are mainly for interest, whether I put them into practice in AMSO remains to be said.

ASCII

Reaction score
I found the site I was talking about with all the good info.
It was John Dunn's Apollo Tutorial in html that has since been taken down from the internet.

Any idea how I find this excellent tutorial?

ASCII

Reaction score
Ok, so I think Apollo by the numbers is what I need.

SO apollo btn states that:

CSM separated from S-IVB

Space- Fixed Flight Path angle is
45degrees

and Space Fixed Heading Angle is
93 degrees

So how does this translate to Orbiter?

Is this degrees of the positive velocity vector? If that is the case, can I just use attitude mfd to set my attitude based on this?

ANy help by a physics guru would be appreciated....