Update Antares 2.0 coming soon!

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
yes, instead of the "payload platform" that acted as the second to last stage, you will have the HES5, which i believe has a little more delta-V than this as well, so learners will have some room for error in this thing

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ive just improved my work, and made a new config for the Jarvis that will launch the Antares to the moon. here's a screenshot of the setup on the launchpad, basically, its the same bottom two stages (plus the SRBs), the third stage has been swapped for the HES5 which is used for the TLI and the first (maybe two) MCCs
picture.php

ill get some more shots when i do my next lunar mission beta test tomorrow (i looked at my clock, and im actually referring to today, but i need sleep), untill then, this one little screenie will have to do

thanks
-=Grover=-

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ok, progress report:

we think we've found mores of the bugs/issues with the current alpha stage, ive been looking at the user end of the Antares, things that you as an orbinaut would think "Thats a silly idea" or "this doesnt work properly". K_Jameson is working on INIs, SCNs and guidance files for most (if not all) launchers and configurations and Fausto is being a little mysterious, i think he's working on Antares coding as i feed bugs to him.

part of my testing was to see if its possible to do things the easy way, time accelerating through autopilots, leaving your capsule unatended through re-entry and so on, and its generally good, [though the autopilots get a little touchy].

earlier in this thread, i asked how easy it was to fly this thing, and what we have at the moment is only a LITTLE but harder than a DG with semi-realistic settings, mainly because of its lack of power compared to the futuristic design of the DG.

the lunar mission was a success (thanks to Kyle for suggesting the LunarTransferMFD), it is easily possible to reach lunar orbit and then perform a TEI burn, with direct (though not aimed) re-entry, after a small problem with re-entry angles, im working on the range of values that you can keep to as you plan your final approach to earth

im not just doing this for the thrill of doing TEIs, im working on a really readable manual, that can help even the inexperienced to get to the ISS at least (im seriously considering writing a separate tutorial to compliment it)

hopefully we'll have the beta out for public testing in a few months, or maybe even a few weeks, depending on how many bugs we run into and how many features we decide to add/improve.

thanks for following guys! :D
-=Grover=-

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I know this thread is about Antares, but I'll ask anyway: will the Jarvis launcher still be multistage2-based or dll-based? It lacks a real launch autopilot in its current state. I can simply change it's launch direction (and the resulting inclination) in the .ini file, but the resulting orbit shape is somewhat weird. And changing more trajectory parameters for each particular flight takes too many time. So can the autopilot course calculation be automated somehow?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
its currently running as a multistage vessel, not on a custom DLL base.

as far as i know, it is staying like this for the moment, but i do intend to raise it to the rest of the developers as soon as we clear up the initial alpha tests.

using launch azimuth selection is currently off limits to the Jarvis, but launching manually isnt too hard, and if you use LaunchMFD the initial roll is easy as well.

rest assured, we will do it if we can, but we have other things to deal with at the moment, like bugs.

more as it develops
-=Grover=-

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
using launch azimuth selection is currently off limits to the Jarvis, but launching manually isnt too hard, and if you use LaunchMFD the initial roll is easy as well.

I've been told that LaunchMFD is for SSTO vessels only and my experience with its using shows it's quite true. I have no troubles with changing azimuth in the .ini file as I've said before, my problems are rather with keeping pitch correct during flight and that's what I can't do even with LaunchMFD.

But thank you anyway.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can set it to only affect launch heading by pressing DEF before engaging, thats what i do

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
We are working on multistage autopilot stability.. the major problem with that is the video setting.. we are considering the best frame rate combination to make it ride of most of PCs!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
More Images:

ASR-3 Mission - ISS docking confirmed:

ALR-3 Mission - Lunar Orbit EVA:

ASR-2 Mission - EVA, ISS station keeping:

ALR2 Mission - Solar Panel repair:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
cool! love the industrial/angular/tough look of it. how many of the toggle switches work?

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
The release is supposed to be on the second half of February.
There are some switches that don't work.. but the most of them work!:thumbup:

---------- Post added 01-31-11 at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-30-11 at 12:17 PM ----------

This is the first Antares video trailer:

Antares SR launch

Rocket: Jarvis-L

Launch Pad: Pad J-A

Mantis

Reaction score
I can't wait Fausto! I've been a big fan since the first release. In fact, I managed my first ever fully manual rendezvous and docking with the ISS with Antares. The pictures and video have me chomping at the bit in anticipation of the new version.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Trailer 2:

Low Lunar Orbit Eva - ALR-3 Mission

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3-2uiDE2bI"]YouTube - Antares Manned Rocket 2.0 - Trailer 2[/ame]