Question Android IMU app

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently joined the Android world with a new s7 phone.

I found out that there is quite a bunch of sensors on it and that there are some apps that shows sensor values etc.

What I can't find is an app that also make the integration to give you current velocity, position etc without using GPS data. Does anybody if there is already an app like that? if not any help on the introduction of android app programming will be welcome :thumbup:

:cheers:
Fred

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Position without GPS is going to be hard, but velocity using gyroscopes is relatively easy. I don't know if there is an app for that though.

Welcome to the Android world!

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know of any ready made app, but looking through robotics papers I've seen people have done experiments tracking movement of people walking, using accelerometers. So it should be possible in principle. (Not very accurate though as drift is inevitable.)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Download an app called Tasker and have a play with the various sensors. You can access the accelerometer, but it's very battery-intensive. . However, doing things triggered on proximity to specific named cell-towers ... super easy.

Welcome to the dark side! Android is a cool platform, and Samsung makes awesome phones.