And so begins the Great Adventure...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ugh. Back to school again?

Oh, wait. Today's the first day of the A&P program. :)

It took a little longer than I would have liked (due to class sizes and a lottery system to get in in the fall), but today I start my training to become an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. :woohoo:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, cool! Are you thinking of specializing in an airframe in particular? (I mean I know it's a bit early to think of such things, but I was curious.)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Actually, I was eyeing powerplant or avionics.

Fun stuff right off the bat, though: We're doing a complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and reassembly of a Continental A65 engine that's older than everyone in the class. :)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Aaaand we've got it largely disassembled. All four cylinders have been removed, the crankcase has been split, and the crankshaft and all four connecting rods are currently the only things still on the stand. For a motor, it's surprisingly slight on parts. :blink: You could probably put it on your kitchen table.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Awesome, congrats!!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! I knew a fellow in that very field. He worked extremely hard (16-hour days during an Orion wing replacement) but was veeery well paid for it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool. I recommend avionics as well. Electronics are fun and the knowledge transfers well.