IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Troubled singer Amy Winehouse has been found dead in her North London home, Sky News is reporting. The Daily Miror reports that police have confirmed the passing.

The Grammy-winning singer, best known for her hit song, "Rehab," died of an apparent drug overdose. She's battled drug addiction for years, having most recently checked back into rehabilitation in May.

Earlier in the day, Winehouse's manager, Tim Gatt, tweeted a statement saying that she was withdrawing from all of her upcoming performances, writing, "Amy Winehouse is withdrawing from all scheduled performances. Everyone involved wishes to do everything they can to help her return to her best and she will be given as long as it takes for this to happen."

Winehouse has had previous near-death experiences, including one her ex-husband, Blake Fielder-Civil, described in detail back in 2009.

"I knelt over her as she kept on fitting. But then suddenly she just passed out and stopped breathing," he told The Sun (via NME). It was the most frightening thing I had ever seen. I felt sure I was watching her die right in front of me. I didn't know what to do or how to save her. I held her to me - and I thought she was dying in my arms. But somehow I managed to open her mouth and breathe air down her throat."

In January, 2010, she pled guilty to assaulting a theater stage manager.

Source

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can't she a bit more creative, now she copied really everything from Janis Joplin. Only the bad manners had been her own...

EDIT: She even died at the same age as Janis. Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A young person has died; show some flippen respect Urwumpe ( If you are capable of doing so).

Apollon

Reaction score
Never liked her music, or her style, but anyway as Yoda said, young person died, RIP.

halcyon

Reaction score
Can't she a bit more creative, now she copied really everything from Janis Joplin. Only the bad manners had been her own...

EDIT: She even died at the same age as Janis. Embarrassing.

Wow do you have a heart?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A young person has died; show some flippen respect Urwumpe ( If you are capable of doing so).

Do you really deserve respect for dieing? Doesn't the way you lived have something to do with it?

I'm capable to be sad by someone dieing, even if I don't like them, or what they stood for. But you need to do more then die to get my respect.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

What first of all died was a young talented singer which ruined her career with drug abuse and really bad manners. She had it coming. I am not even sure that she regrets it.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not to be disrespectful, but considering Winehouse's history, this news was not exactly a shock to me... :(

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Cattle die, kinsmen die,
One day you yourself must die.
I know one thing that never dies:
The dead man's reputation.
--Havamal

The translation is butchered, but its true. I never heard her music, so all I know her as is a drugged up woman. I do not mourn her passing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Not to be disrespectful, but considering Winehouse's history, this news was not exactly a shock to me... :(

I agree. It is a shame, when you consider some of her early songs. But it isn't really a surprise, she's been battling drug addiction for years. I don't want to appear blunt and insensitive, but Amy Winehouse as sort of been an accident waiting to happen.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Its sad and a shame. It is not a surprise, not at all, but that does not make it any less sad. Wasn't a fan of hers either, but her life was tragedy, and now so is the ending of it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't want to appear blunt and insensitive, but Amy Winehouse as sort of been an accident waiting to happen.

Even her father called her past years a slow and painful death before, so I wouldn't really be surprised when it happened. She did choose her own fate.

Sadly, she is also one of the many evidences, that drugs don't make you a better artist. It is opposite. Drugs make good artists nothing else but professional drug addicts (like Steven Tyler called his past, before getting clean and making good music again)

I just don't feel like I share the admiration that others have of her. She wasn't really a great singer, I am not even sure if she was a good one. She was good in selling herself, even when she was already nothing else but a chemical laboratory. But in terms of singing...if Amy Winehouse was good, what was then Janis Joplin (who wasn't a technically a good singer as well, but who sang with way more heart as Winehouse)? And by which words can you describe the singing of Tarja Turonen?

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
These artists in their twenties are still relatively young and impressionable. How much is the music industry to blame I wonder? "Not feeling so good Amy? Never mind that, where's that new album we contracted you to make? World tour? Ker-ching....$$$$$$$$$$$....".

She was a talented singer, even though her music is not to everyone's taste. She should join the ranks of Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain et al.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
She was a talented singer, even though her music is not to everyone's taste. She should join the ranks of Hendrix, Joplin, Cobain et al.

I would rate people like Hendrix or Buddy Holly different to Winehouse or even Joplin. The first already managed to revolutionize music in a very short time (Buddy Holly had been known for just 1.5 years before he died, Hendrix just for three years), while the latter had been memorable as great entertainers.

What will be left after Winehouse? did she change music by reviving the soul music of the 70s? Not really.

FADEC

Reaction score
So the Club 27 has got a new member.

Interesting. Seems like 27 is a kind of physical and psychical barrier to handle excessive stress and drug use inside the show/music business. Just recently Joey Kelly said in a German talkshow that such a success is unhealthy in the long run. He actually is lucky that for him and his familiy it's over (they played in front of a quarter million of people in Vienna).

But Amy Winehouse is a special example anyway. I agree with Urwumpe. She did choose her own fate and she didn't even seem to care at all. I mean, just watch her. If I would get up in the morning and look into the mirror I would get mortal fear. But she was so beautiful before. I feel sorry that she became a victim of the showbiz. But on the other hand it also depends on the personality. Not everybody perishes in the showbiz (she didn't care obviously). Look at the Rolling Stones. It's living legends despite sex, drugs and rock'n'roll decades ago. They tread the boards since the Project Mercury era. How amazing is that? And they still have power...

And do people seriously rate Hendrix and Joplin etc. to Winehouse? Sorry but this is completely ridiculous IMHO.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am pretty sure, if you would forbid Mick Jagger to go on stage almost every week, he would die quickly. The Rolling Stones had been the first open air concert I attended and it was just awesome epic. You know that they are just doing their show, like they did their shows already for years, but they are already so good that it, that it is pure distilled entertainment.

Maybe, you also just have to know your energy... Freddy Mercury also died pretty young, but even as deadly ill, he managed to sing "The show must go on" and "I want it all". Some people burn out maybe, others are really a nuclear fire inside like real stars...(pun intended)

Last edited:

FADEC

Reaction score
I am pretty sure, if you would forbid Mick Jagger to go on stage almost every week, he would die quickly.

Well, a rolling stone gathers no moss.

How perfect fits that? :lol:

That's the key if one wants to become old and still be healthy and have lots of fun. Do what you want to do. Never stop. Retirement is a terrible thing and actually makes no sense.

The Rolling Stones had been the first open air concert I attended and it was just awesome epic. You know that they are just doing their show, like they did their shows already for years, but they are already so good that it, that it is pure distilled entertainment.

I never was on a Stones concert sadly (but my father was in the 1970's). But I can imagine how epic it would be. If I remember correctly they sold more than 4 million concert tickets from 2005 to 2007. And there was more than a million people in Rio de Janeiro. There must be a very good reason for such a success. I admire this band. Also because they are down-to-earth despite all the success. Whenever I watch Jagger in interviews I also think he is a very smart person (not a miracle actually if one looks into his biography).

Last edited: