Question Adding Virtual Cockpit to existing spacecraft

woodnboats

Reaction score
OK, I have a much loved spacecraft (Drake's Rolling Stone, from the Heinlein novel). I would love to add a virtual cockpit to it (assuming it's possible and all right with Drake), but I haven't a clue as to how to get started.
Could any of you folks be kind enough to point me in the direction to start?
At this point, all I know is that it is based on Vinka's Spacecraft3.dll.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kirk Messinger

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Since it based on spacecraft3 you are in luck...at least partially. You'll need to do a few things first. First, if you plan to release it get permission (would be nice ven if you are not going to release it) next you'll need a 3D modeling program to build a 3d virtual cockpit. Some image editing software to make bitmaps to texture your VC, and lastly implement it through the SC3 ini file. SC3 VCs are limited though. You can look around, create a left and right MFD and HUD. You can't do advanced things like interactive buttons for the MFDs though. If the craft was dll based you would need the source files, so that is one advantage to SC3.

woodnboats

Reaction score
Thanks, CigDriver.

I'm in contact w/ the designer of Rolling Stone, and I'm sure he'd grant permission. Do I need Vinka's as well?

I have 3D Studio Max, and Animator, but I haven't used them in quite a while. Can SketchUp be used to model for Orbitor?

And I'm still a long way from knowing how to start. Are there any tutorials available?

Thanks again,

Kirk Messinger

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You do not need Vinka's permission beyond what is stated in his download. His SC3 is designed to help people create ships.

If there is a way to convert whatever sketchup outputs to orbiter's msh format then it will work.:) I know that the free version of SU is limited in what formats it can export, but there might be a way.

I'm not sure on tutorials, a search here might reveal some. I would get the orbiter sdk and have a look at the document about modeling. SC3 comes with a sdk so look through that, it has the information on how to get everything working.