News A Russian Suggests Using Shuttles for Flights to the Moon

Radu094

Donator
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey, I completely forgot about that Dream Chaser.... Do they have any timetable for the first intended manned tests?

hribek

Reaction score
Only possible if you launch directly to the moon without coasting phase (parking orbit). The SSME is not restartable and making it restartable isn't a easy task, it is possible but requires serious engineering work.

There be additional performance loss since the nozzle bell has to be designed for ambient pressure at sea level. Dedicated in-space propulsion is better on so many levels.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Except: Having two sets of engines increases complexity, mass, and cost. ;)

Krikkit

Reaction score
Reminds me of
http://www.homerhickam.com/books/moon.shtml
I haven't read it yet, though I enjoyed his other books, this one seemed too outlandish.

Anyway, moon aside, what about permanently docking a shuttle to the ISS? Has a serious study ever been done regarding this?

Fill the cargo bay with Spacehab and whatever else you need to retrofit a shuttle for long duration stay (ie: Solar panels). Launch with a crew of two, have them return by some other means (Orion, Dragon, Soyuz). And when it comes time to de-orbit the station they could perhaps do a robotic landing to see if they can slavage the shuttle as a museum piece (as unpractical as that may be).