A question about developing.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Cobalt.

I'll start off by saying I'm a miserable pilot in Orbiter, and LEO is about all I'm good for. Math was never my strong point, though I have a mediocre understanding of the physics involved.

I'm intrigued by the idea of developing addons, but there's a slight setback. I haven't the faintest clue what I'd be doing, as far as code, flight models, modeling objects themselves, etc. Just a quick self-glance suggests my strength, once I learned/taught myself how/bumbled my way to success would be modeling objects. Textures, maybe. Anything else, I'd probably be bad at it.

I guess the question is, how many of the developers here do every single bit of the development from modeling to textural work to coding, or are there more collaborative efforts? And if you do collaborate, how'd you find the people you collaborate with?

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is plenty of info here to start you off in the right direction on your own but if you'd like to take part in a group developement project for beginner coders, I suggest you check out the RagTag Fleet Forum as we are currently doing just that.

Cobalt

Reaction score
What kind of coding? My knowledge of coding is a mighty primitive understanding of BASIC.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
There's nothing wrong with learning as you go, either.

Get creative - come up with something you want to do, and begin. What addon would you really like to see for Orbiter? That's the one you should make.

Try to figure each step out as you go, and when you get stuck, come here and ask questions. Set your own personal bar as high as you can, and you'll probably find that the learning process and outcome is really rewarding. Patience is the key. If it's worth doing, it's worth taking the time to do it well. Addon development doesn't lend itself to instant gratification.

Experiment with as many aspects of Orbiter as you can. The documentation provided, as well as studying the .cfg and .ini files in the config directory will teach you a lot. It's exciting to see a model you've built actually inhabiting the Orbiter environment, and all the keys to doing so are at your disposal.

And if and when people express interest in your progress, don't be afraid to ask those individuals if they'd be willing to collaborate. If you can work well with others, this kind of project can be the most rewarding of all. It's amazing what can happen when people with different talents and skills bring their strengths together.

Cobalt

Reaction score
The minute I started posting around here, I had an idea. One that's probably been done before, but I'd at least like to try it. I downloaded ar81's tutorials about using anim8or, and threw together some lame little objects that'll never see the light of day as anything other than a test.

I appreciate the advice, from both of you! If I make anything that seems worthwhile, I'll post about it.

-Cobalt

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
The best way to have a good starting point for newbies is to follow this tutorial I made in the old forums about how to create a base with one landing pad.
http://www.orbitersim.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=4531
The good thing is that you only need notepad, and you could see what you did if you load any scenario.

Then I would follow this tutorial to create bases
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2733"]Tutorial: How to create surface bases[/ame]

After I had edited some bases using notepad, I would download this tool to create bases. It is not the easiest tool of all time and it requires knowledge on manually editing bases, so you understand what you are doing.
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2796"]Surface base wizard 1.3b[/ame]
I would read the manual so I could start to have more advanced practice.

Then I would start learning about editing scenarios, then I would go for 3D modelling and creation of spacecraft...

The first 10 addons you make might not be masterpieces, do not worry.
This was my first crappy addon. By the time I thought it was a masterpiece because I dedicated LOTS of effort to it and it went beyond what I thought that I could do. (poor little me, hehe)

shuttlepbmeshreplacement8ju.jpg

Time passed and it became this.
So as you see, no one as born an expert.

shuttlepbreplacementv118nc.jpg

spbmk49ch.jpg

polytest017wk.jpg

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@ar81 - Thanks for posting those links. I've been wanting to put my programming degree to use in Orbiter (or put it to use period - I'm working as a desktop tech) but could never find a starting point that did not leave me confused and just plain frustrated. This will give me somewhere to start that I think will lead me somewhere.

Thanks again!

Regards,
n122vu

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Try simpler things first: Surface bases
Then move to more complex things: Editing scenarios
Then move to even more complex things: Make a spacecraft using Vinka addon
Then the challenge: Make a vessel with its own DLL module.
Then the uber-challenge: Make MFDs involving complex math

Last edited:

Cobalt

Reaction score
Try simpler things first: Surface bases
Good advice, I'm gonna start on this for now.
Then move to more complex things: Editing scenarios
I've been doing that off and on, but not very seriously.
Then move to even more complex things: Make a spacecraft using Vinka addon
Then the challenge: Make a vessel with its own DLL module.
All in due time, I hope.
Then the uber-challenge: Make MFDs involving complex math
Never gonna happen, I'm nowhere close to the required math skills.

But I did want to thank you for the tutorials linked further up in the forum, they helped quite a lot when it came to using Anim8or. Off to start trying surface base creation.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Never gonna happen, I'm nowhere close to the required math skills.

But I did want to thank you for the tutorials linked further up in the forum, they helped quite a lot when it came to using Anim8or. Off to start trying surface base creation.

In time math will look more and more appealing. I used to hate math, until I had to create Mesh Wizard. Then I learned many interesting things. There will be a time when the only challenge left will be math, and you will defeat your dislike and go for it.

Start slowly and in time you will make great things.
I made Surface Base Wizard because I tried to challenge myself and I wanted to make a huge city. I was using notepad and when I had 2000 objects it was impossible to visualize, so I made that program.

The result of that challenge that gave birth to that tool is Alysimia base
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3089"]Alysimia city v0.1 (under construction)[/ame]
I bet you will be able to improve that in time.
I have no doubt. Do not let yourself to be impressed by the size of the city. It is just many objects together, put with lots of patience.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Within an hour or two of starting the project, I finished my first base. Modeled very loosely on a real airport in eastern North Carolina. It's blisteringly simple, but, so is the real place. I think the Orbiter version is more complex. I might screen-shot it if anyone's interested enough.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Looks a bit heavy on the polys ar. plenty of hidden backfaces you could delete, you don't need to have a model composed of closed meshes. Also, your panels would be better off being textured on.

Cobalt

Reaction score
DG on one of six pads.
picture.php

DG Takeoff.
picture.php

Scaled back view.
picture.php

I'm happy with it. Reminds me of home.