A personal drama

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thursday evening, a friend of mine collapsed right under my eyes as we were playing a theater play. His legs failed and he fell on the person in front of him. Then he quickly rolled on his side, got up, walked several steps breathing loudly, and tried to continue the play. I was like the other actors almost paralysed, not knowing if we had to stop or if he just needed some time to recover. Then our theater teacher went in and stopped the play. There were 150 people watching, and we were on a parking lot, on the roof of a supermarket. The Sun just set, it was night, but the temperature was around 36°C (the asphalt was radiating a lot of heat).

Then my friend was quickly laid down, and then he stopped to breath and his heart failed. I shouted "Medic !". What was really a good thing is that there were 2 professional nurses and 3 people well-trained in first-aid. They immediately reacted and began reanimation attempts. That lasted 15 minutes and was really scary. All I could do is to drive the spectators out of the parking, to clean the path for the incoming ambulance. My friend was areactive, was only gasping intermittently, with no carotidian or femoral pulse and dilated pupils. That was really scary.

The ambulance finally arrived, with the firemen paramedics and the police right behind (its usual here to have those three corps on emergencies). They shocked the victim no less than 8 times. After 10 more scary minutes, they loaded him in the ambulance and went to the hospital.

With 2 other friends (including one of the nurses), I went to the emergencies 2 hours later (the nurse said it was useless before). So we were there around 2:30 AM. He was just out of the emergencies, where he made 4 additionnal cardiac arrests, in the "de-shocking" service. At 3:00 AM we saw the anesthesist, a cardiologist, and a panel of interns and nurses, which was quite surprising given the early hour. They asked us a lot of question on how he fell, if there was any clues or symptoms, etc... There were absolutely no symptoms, and he was in full health and in a good mood several minutes before the accident.

We saw him, he was in an artificial coma, and stabilized, with a tube to breath and drugs to help to heart. Around 70 BPM, seemed quite normal, despite some periodic anomalies. He seemed in good condition. The medics scanned his brain and noticed nothing suspicious. They were then more focused on a heart problem.

Next day (Friday) they made examinations of the heart ; coronary vessels were in good condition, but there was something with one of the ventricles. They still are investigating, could be anything like a malformation (1 case in his family). I saw him that day, he was in intensive care, with like 10 drugs being injected in his body, and ice bags over the body. His temperature was downed to 32°C and his heartbeat dropped to 45 BPM. Medics said it was done to "hibernate" the brain and prevend additionnal damage. Of course the unknown at this point was "how much his brain has been deprived of Dioxygen" ? He was reanimated nearly instantly on the parking lot, but the medics said that even a good hand heart massage doesn't replace a functional heart in terms of organs blood irrigation.

Yesterday (Saturday) they began to "re-heat" him and lower the sedative drugs to get him out of the artificial coma. Which was successsfully achieved in the afternoon. The heart went up to 80 BPM and the body temperature to 37°C. I couldn't see him because he was "agitated". Some friends could, however, and he was reactive to speech, moving the head or the eyelids. Which means there is a minimal brain activity, a huge relief ; my fear was he would stay braindead.

Today (Sunday) he is expected to fully wake up and rise to consciousness. Im going to the hospital this evening, to see him if possible and if not, get the latest news of the day.

I think the worst is behind us. But what's sure is that he is goings to take heart drugs all his life and will probably have months of revalidation to recover all his abilities.

I hope things are going to end well, can't wait this evening.

:hailprobe:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I certainly hope everything turns out well. I'm very sorry that this happened to you and him.

Last edited:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Scary to hear. My best wishes to your friend.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thinking about you guys; that's tough !

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds awful, best wishes to your friend.

N.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I hope that everything goes smoothly from here on out.

I know how stressful having someone close to you in the hospital can be. A little over a year ago, I lost my grandfather. Those were a terrifying few days.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Sorry to hear that! :( Hang in there, mate!

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Me deep thoughts goes to the family, friends and the person self. And I wishes that he recover completely without have any damage from this terrible event.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Indded - I hope he gets better.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I saw him this evening, and they were unable to extubate him because he is fighting the breathing machine with his intercostal muscles. Also he tried to rise from the bed and rip the perfusions off, so they had to attach him.

Its somehow more disturbing to see him fight in a semi-conscious state than when he was in artificial coma, but I guess its a good sign that he reacts. More time is required, and he (and his body) have to understand that fighting the machine is not in their best interest.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I saw him this evening, and they were unable to extubate him because he is fighting the breathing machine with his intercostal muscles. Also he tried to rise from the bed and rip the perfusions off, so they had to attach him.

Personally, I'm glad that he a) was in the right place, at the right time, and b) got the help he needed right away. The company I just ended my contracted employment through, we had a coworker who had a heart attack late at night. He was woken up by the pre-attack symptoms; his wife drove him to the hospital, and he crashed right on the bed.

He made it, of course, and he's back to work now, but he described the same exact scenario this guy is going through -- wanting the tubes and everything else sticking in him out RIGHT now.

Best wishes to you and your friend, mate. I have a feeling he'll pull through all of this.

diogom

Reaction score
My best wishes to you and your friend, hope all goes well!

:hailprobe:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Hope all is well, good luck to you and your friend! :cheers:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I'm going to play the devil's advocate role in this thread. (and probably be regarded as an emotionless A**hole)
1. Why is this a "personal" drama? It was your friend that collapsed into a coma and if anyone can name this as "personal" it's him (if and when he comes back) and his family.
2. Some of the answers on this thread were: "I'll pray for you" or "My thoughts go out to you" and such. Sure, I'll do NOTHING and THAT's going to help?
3.Start a paypal account to pay for the poor man's medical bills. But you don't really have to, 'cause they'll be paid by the nation's insurance company.
3.If you really want to help, go to your nearest hospital and donate some blood. If you want to take this a step further, take the blood exams-pay it for yourself- and donate plasma. It will not go to the recipient you want, but it WILL help a lot of other people.

Just my 1 and a 1/2 euro.