A hallucinogenic drug which you have in your kitchen...

FADEC

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a phone call to a friend. He went to the hospital for nine days last month, including a stay at the intensive care unit for two days.

The reason was that he woke up in the morning and felt rather strange. His arms were numb and he thought that there is Sellotape around his fingers. He watched his hands almost continuosly and so his wife started to worry. He was drinking 3 bottles of water within a short period of time. Then he collapsed. And whenever he came around he talked nonsense and watched his hands.

In the hospital the doctors didn't know what's going on. He didn't answer any questions. He just always repeated what they said and asked. It might sound funny, but they thought that this might be a case for the psychiatry. During the first night he drank 3 liters of water, but did exude 9 liters. There also was an 80 years old man in the same intensive care unit. He accidentally had the same name as my friend. So my friend thought that he is the old man, and that he is watching himself (out-of-body experience), lying in the intensive care unit for decades :rofl:

The next day he was fine again. The doctors looked for everything within the following 7 days. But they didn't find any cause.

When his sister was in the hospital for a visit, they talked about the meal which my friend and his wife had in the evening before he went to the hospital. It was a pumpkin soup. Nothing unusual. They talked about the ingredients, which was of course pumpkin, ginger, nutmeg and other things. Then his sister asked how much nutmeg they put into the soup, since nutmeg can cause a state of intoxication. It was one table spoon, which equals about 9 gram. They talked to the doctors, but they just laughed and said that this is nonsense. So he left the hospital without any results.

Meanwhile it turned out that the idea ragarding nutmeg wasn't nonsense at all. It is reported that 4 gram already can cause a state of intoxication. My friend emptied three plates of the pumpkin soup while his wife emptied only one. Remember that there was 9 gram of nutmeg in the soup. And I guess that cooking might increase the "effects".

I've never heard of it before :blink:

And no, it's not recommendable to try it. Hands off!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/large-doses-nutmeg-hallucinogenic-high/story?id=12347815#.UJKluoYuc8o

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Thats...well...expect Nutmeg stock to go up.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes that is widely known, but reportedly horrible, uncomfortable experience

FADEC

Reaction score
yes that is widely known,

I'm really surprised that I never heard of it before. The doctors also didn't know anything, which surprises me all the more. But even my father didn't hear anything of it before. He studied food technology.

Good that I only use a pinch for mashed potatoes.

but reportedly horrible, uncomfortable experience

Yes. My friend said it was horrible. Especially if you don't know what's going on.

People who "enjoy" this deliberately either are careles or stupid. Probably both.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Nutmeg and Datura a.k.a. Jimson Weed are definitely those "don't touch unless you've seriously Stopped Caring" psychedelics. I won't link to the archives on Erowid for possible NSFW reasons but just google "datura/nutmeg trip report" and be astonished.

But I do find it fascinating what different chemicals can do to consciousness by acting on the brain. Also take a look at reports for Salvia divinorum, another really potent and potentially harrowing plant, which has the interesting property that people who take it often report a trip where it's their entire life up until then that's the hallucination, and the surreal hallucination is fundamental reality, which they just sobered up into; the old "...or am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man" thing, or Abbott's Mr. Square (no pun intended) getting a ride off Flatland.
And as far as we know, it only acts on one specific receptor type. I think we'll learn a lot about consciousness if we can figure out exactly what that pathway is doing.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I had no idea you could get high off of nutmeg, I'll have to try it.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score

computer_stare.jpg

Last edited:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
You really do not have to try it. A sufficient dose can last more than 24 hours and every trip report I've seen makes it sound very unpleasant. I'm all for allowing people the freedom to alter their brain chemistry in a safe environment, but I'd highly suggest you know what you're going to be getting into before you hurt yourself/others.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh my God. I just consumed atleast 5 grams of nutmeg! I'm gonna go nuts! :p

But seriously. I didn't know this. Great tip for the future. :thumbup:

SE

FADEC

Reaction score
If your toast starts wondering about you, you have your answer.

Except if he would live in Soviet Russia. Because in Soviet Russia, toast makes you. Even if it's a French one :lol:

I had no idea it was Darwin Award Week.:facepalm:

I had no idea what or who Darwin Award is.

Thanks for mentioning it :)

You really do not have to try it. A sufficient dose can last more than 24 hours and every trip report I've seen makes it sound very unpleasant. I'm all for allowing people the freedom to alter their brain chemistry in a safe environment, but I'd highly suggest you know what you're going to be getting into before you hurt yourself/others.

:hesaid:

If you love yourself you won't try it.

As insanity has mentioned, it's very unpleasant. It is being down rather than being high. My friend now can tell you that too. He ended up in the hospital, suffering from a severe loss of fluid, just because he ate pumpkin soup with (too much) nutmeg.

There are "better" drugs. Drink beer. It has less aftereffects. Not to mention that it's probably already disgusting to eat several grams of pure nutmeg.

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I suppose now that it's in the news I will have to stock up on it since some politicians and bureaucrats will be banning it soon.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I suppose now that it's in the news I will have to stock up on it since some politicians and bureaucrats will be banning it soon.

Just like they tried to ban apples and milk from school lunches back in the day?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I see you've mastered the cinnamon challenge... may I offer you something more...interesting?
Darwin 2012!

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Found a glass with two whole nuts in it in the kitchen. But no, I don't want to die with 20 years, or worse, win a Darwin award. :p

BTW, there absolutely no warning about the effects on that glass :shifty:.

FADEC

Reaction score
there absolutely no warning about the effects on that glass :shifty:.

Why should there be warnings? Nutmeg is used in small quantities for most recipes anyway.

If there would be warnings, there would be warnings on a lot of things in your kitchen. You can do very stupid things with salt for example, if you want. Or just eat raw potatoes to feel really bad. Good luck. But all these foods have one thing in common: you won't eat them pure/raw since it doesn't taste in large quantities.

Water might be an exception though. If you drink a lot within a short period of time, you can lose consciousness.

Remember Paracelsus:

Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Remember Paracelsus:

Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy.

Paracelsus lived a few centuries before the really nasty stuff had been discovered. For example Plutonium. 1/50th of a Plutonium atom could maybe be a remedy.