A hallucinogenic drug which you have in your kitchen...

FADEC

Reaction score
Paracelsus lived a few centuries before the really nasty stuff had been discovered. For example Plutonium. 1/50th of a Plutonium atom could maybe be a remedy.

True. But it doesn't really make his statement wrong. Theoretically it's always a question of the amount. We even eat quicksilver whenever we eat fish. Especially tuna fish. But if we don't eat it too often, we won't become ill.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
True. But it doesn't really make his statement wrong. Theoretically it's always a question of the amount. We even eat quicksilver whenever we eat fish. Especially tuna fish. But if we don't eat it too often, we won't become ill.

I would invert his statement: Every remedy can become a poison, if you consume too much of it. Oxygen can be toxic in large quantities, dihydrogenmonoxide should be known now.

But this does not always work in the opposite direction. I would for example not recommend eating less fish because of the fear of mercury poisoning. While mercury will stay toxic even in small quantities, the benefits for your health by eating fish (lots of the healthy omega-3 fats, only minimal amount of unhealthy fats, including the harmful kinds of omega-3 fats) will likely offset it by far.

Same with alcohol. Really small amounts are actually good for the body. But alcohol likes company. :cheers:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Paracelsus lived a few centuries before the really nasty stuff had been discovered. For example Plutonium. 1/50th of a Plutonium atom could maybe be a remedy.

hmmm..... 94/50=1.88

are you talking about a helium atom? it could be a remedy for depression, making people talk funny which elevates the mood :thumbup:

FADEC

Reaction score
I would invert his statement: Every remedy can become a poison, if you consume too much of it. Oxygen can be toxic in large quantities, dihydrogenmonoxide should be known now.

But this does not always work in the opposite direction. I would for example not recommend eating less fish because of the fear of mercury poisoning. While mercury will stay toxic even in small quantities, the benefits for your health by eating fish (lots of the healthy omega-3 fats, only minimal amount of unhealthy fats, including the harmful kinds of omega-3 fats) will likely offset it by far.

I would even recommend eating no fish. Tofu and nuts for example also contain healthy omega-3 fats, but no mercury. But it's a matter of taste. Not everybody likes Tofu, especially if not made properly. Fish indeed is rather tasty. But I know people who never ate fish. I can't really tell that they are less healthy than those who eat fish. A former workmate even never ate any fish or meat in his entire life. He was from India. So it's no surprise.

The best thing these days probably would be to eat fish and meat from the own rearing. Same for fruits and vegetables. But that's not possible for most people.

Same with alcohol. Really small amounts are actually good for the body. But alcohol likes company. :cheers:

I claim that alcohol is good for you even in larger amounts. Especially beer :lol: ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would even recommend eating no fish. Tofu and nuts for example also contain healthy omega-3 fats, but no mercury.

Not automatically - Tofu isn't as good as fish regarding the fats, and while mercury is unlikely in tofu (or other accumulating poisons), all soy products can have other really nasty contaminations, depending on the origin.

FADEC

Reaction score
Not automatically - Tofu isn't as good as fish regarding the fats, and while mercury is unlikely in tofu (or other accumulating poisons), all soy products can have other really nasty contaminations, depending on the origin.

Well, everything can have nasty contaminations, depending on the origin ;)

Especially most of our supermarket meat (antibiotics just as one example).

There is a noticable lobby against soy products for a few years, claiming that soy is (generally) unhealthy and causes cancer. And it really works, altough the claims are mostly nonscientific nonsense. Because people blindly believe everything. But the scientific conclusions always did and still do look different. Especially cancer research as related to soy consumption for humans. Small animals in laboratory experiments simply don't count, and are not considered therefore. That a dog can be seriously harmed by chocolate does no mean that chocolate does harm humans. That a wildcat can be seriously harmed by soybeans does no mean that tofu and soy milk does harm humans.

The valid health concerns regarding soy are basically related to medical products (highly enriched), not to soy as a food. It's often mistaken in the media. Not only the German Cancer Aid recommends soy food as part of a healthy nutrition more than ever. And the latest meta-analysis once again revealed that soy does not cause but prevent cancer (http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/6/1575.abstract).

One another common misconception these days is that if one eats no soy, one is not or less affected by genetically modified soy. In fact 90% of the worlds soy crop is used for factory farming. This certainly also contains most of the genetically modified soy, which just adds to the antibiotics in the meat and ends up on our plates. Not to mention that soy meanwhile is in lots of foods these days anyway. And you have no chance to verify the origin of all the soy.

Especially if you eat meat and other animal products you are more affected by soy with unknown origin than a vegan who eats no soy products at all :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I don't recommend soy milk. Strongly. It is harmful. At least for me. :lol:

FADEC

Reaction score
I don't recommend soy milk. Strongly. It is harmful. At least for me. :lol:

Yeah. A friend of mine also reports that soy milk is harmful for him :lol:

Luckily I have a high tolerance for soy milk. It would be worse if otherwise, since I suffer from a lactose intolerance. There still would be almond milk. But I never tasted it though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. A friend of mine also reports that soy milk is harmful for him :lol:

Luckily I have a high tolerance for soy milk. It would be worse if otherwise, since I suffer from a lactose intolerance. There still would be almond milk. But I never tasted it though.

I strangely have no problems with soy oil, but soy milk gives my digestion a GPF. :lol:

FADEC

Reaction score
I strangely have no problems with soy oil, but soy milk gives my digestion a GPF. :lol:

Never tried soy oil. I basically use rape oil and olive oil.

But it's strange how the body reacts. I can't eat only one hazelnut without allergic reactions for example. But if it is processed I have no problems.

Last edited:

toddhisattva

Reaction score

Yes, that's why it should be used in a medical radiation source that lets just the right amount of the poison out.

Speaking of kitchen mellow, I have found satisfyingly potent kava at HEB, a Texas grocery chain. I do not understand how anybody could put it in milk. I am not brave. Ugh, I just had the idea of putting kava in egg nog. The *idea* has an aftertaste....

Erowid has a report about Stilton cheese. Supposed to be mind-bleu-ing.