A demo of what I've been working, thanks to all who helped

Pagnatious

Reaction score
For those who couldn't access it try this.

It's hosted on a different server

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
Even better than before! Just a few suggestions/bugs:

1) Sometimes when I press a key like +/- or arrow keys and then let go, the computer thinks I'm still pressing down on the key and continues changing my orbit or zooming out/in thus I end up getting major orbital changes or zoom out way to far. (This is a recent bug and didn't occur with any previous versions as far as I can tell.)
2) Why is Saturn's SOI so big compared to, say, Jupiter's?
3) In a future version it would be cool to have the planets/ship as sprites (If they aren't already. Forgive my total lack of knowledge about Flash programming.) so that instead of just black dots, you could have little pictures of the planets. Then when you zoom out to far to see them, they could (like in Orbiter) turn into star-like pinpoints of light. On that same note, it would be cool to have a black, starry background with white orbits on it instead of black on white.

I don't mean to overload you with work or anything. These are just suggestions and not meant to be taken as anything else.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I knew it skipped for high eccentricity elliptic orbits but not hyperbolic ones. I'll look into that. Does it actually disappear or just jump off screen? If it really glitches it might appear in the top left corner. Not sure why + and - wouldn't be working.

I'll try it on another server as well.

I've no idea if it jumps out of sight or disappears. Because the + and - don't work, I can't locate the ship.

Pagnatious

Reaction score
It's currently mercury, venus, earth, mars, ceres and jupiter.

Better artwork is on the list of things to have, first it was just about getting the motion of everything working correctly. Once I get all the bugs hammered out of that I'm moving onto the rest. Not sure why it would keep reading the keys, I didn't actually change anything in the code when moving server or adding the planets...

Regards locating the ship, press the S key, if that moves to focus on the ship it's still around somewhere. I've added 9 and 0 and zoom out and in controls, try those.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You got the embedding backwards. :lol:
I think you meant:
"For those who couldn't access it, try this."

When inserting links, you have to type what you want the link to look like in the post, highlight it, then click the
createlink.gif
button, and type (or paste) what URL you want to link to. :tiphat:

Fascinating program! It's been fun whizzing around the solar system so easily (although I'm used to having numbers as well as graphics.) Can you say specifically what new speed options you added?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's currently mercury, venus, earth, mars, ceres and jupiter.

Better artwork is on the list of things to have, first it was just about getting the motion of everything working correctly. Once I get all the bugs hammered out of that I'm moving onto the rest. Not sure why it would keep reading the keys, I didn't actually change anything in the code when moving server or adding the planets...

Regards locating the ship, press the S key, if that moves to focus on the ship it's still around somewhere. I've added 9 and 0 and zoom out and in controls, try those.

Thanks! 0 and 9 work :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting. That's great work ! :thumbup:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know you know some highly eccentric orbits skip, but this one skips every orbit about 1/4 of the way from Aphelion to Perihelion and appears about 1/4 past Perihelion, on it's way to Aphelion.

Image:
Bad orbit.jpg

UFO64

Reaction score
Very cool, and rather well done.

I've always been interested in seeing someone make a 2D space game that used 'real' physics as apposed to the usual navy ships in space approach. Saddly there are few EV's out there!

This was a blast to tool around with though. What are your longer term plans for the project?

Pagnatious

Reaction score
I know you know some highly eccentric orbits skip, but this one skips every orbit about 1/4 of the way from Aphelion to Perihelion and appears about 1/4 past Perihelion, on it's way to Aphelion.

So each time it was shipping about half the orbit? That's less than cool, I had hoped to be bug free and moving onto the next phase, I'll look into that. Hmm, probably going to be a hard one to repeat to determine cause.

UFO64 said:
2D space game that used 'real' physics as apposed to the usual navy ships in space approach.

That's what I was thinking. The idea is a transport and trading game.

I may have fixed the high values of e skipping again, found a method to make educated guesses. Appears to have fixed it, but so had the last attempt. Not sure if it is the same thing that was effecting you RisingFury but we can hope. Let me know if it happens again, I'll try come up with a decent way to try replicate the conditions myself if it is still there/ recurring. Thanks

Last edited: