70's TV show including great big eyeball?

Staiduk

Reaction score
Hi all - this is a really weird one. There is an image in my head; one which I am sure is part of a TV show from the '70's but I'm at a loss to identify it. I'm sure I saw it on our old Zenith barely-colour TV when I was three feet tall and it made a major impact. As far as I can remember it was a show about a detective investigating paranormal phenomena, or something.
Anyway the image is of a trenchcoat-and-fedora clad classic PD in a darkened room. Classic noir except what the floor contained - a giant eyeball ten feet across. I know I've seen this image before but can't identify it. I know there are plenty of 70's fans here; so can anyone identify this image? It's driving me slightly nuts. :)
Thanks!

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
"The Night Stalker"

I think it was "Kolchak, the Night Stalker" starring Darrin McGavin. The episode most likely was "The Energy Eater" an episode about the american native bear spirit legend the matchemonedo but has since been combined with another episode with new narration and has been effectively removed from syndication.

Last edited:

Staiduk

Reaction score
Oooo the 70s?Id have to say Doctor Who.

Maybe...but I have reservations. I lived for the Tom Baker version in my youth; I'm not famailiar with the earlier versions but that doesn't feel right. I only saw a few moments - if memory serves - before I was hustled off to bed but there was much more of a Bogart feel. :)

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
The very old introduction of Twilight Zone had a large eyeball. Rod Serling must have been tourtured like Steven King.

Staiduk

Reaction score
Is this the eye?

Hi, thanks for the info, folks. Sorry; that doesn't look like the eye, it looked like a living one. Remember this was an image I'd seen for a few seconds 40+ years ago. I've tried Googling 'Kolchak' - it looks to be the right show - but couldn't find that moment as an image. Still that clears up a mystery - thanks!

ETA: It might be out of syndication but you can always trust Youtube. :) I can confirm that that eye is not the image I saw; unless time has altered my memory so much. But more importantly I have a new favourite TV show - I loved The X-Files but for sheer spooky fun 'Kolchak' blows that show right out of the water. MAN what a good show! Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Capt. might have hit on something there...
the-twilight-zone-eye-rob-hans.jpg

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination..."

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Yep that's the eye I was remembering, (shows age) not so life like but close. Not bad for a late 60's show that was syndacated into the early 70's.

Who's Wheatley?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
A Character from the Valve game Portal 2.
Wheatley_model.jpg

Code:
[SPOILER ALERT!] At the end of the game he is...

...Ejected into space.

Staiduk

Reaction score
...and easily the best and funniest 'bad guy' in modern gaming.

...But to answer the actual question; the original Twilight Zone eyeball - whose opening is far spookier than the still frame - was not the image I remember. I really wish I had any drawing ability at all - I'd sketch the scene for you. (Edit - I can't draw but I have MS Paint - I'll try it. Not that I'll produce anything worthwhile but I might be able to reproduce the image enough to twig a memory.)

Last edited: