Idea 60's Moon Probes (Ranger, Lunar Orbiter, and Surveyor)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm setting up a scenario file to test it but I don't know what callout to use to get the vessel.

The class name? Surveyor\Surveyor (it's in a sub folder to keep all of the add-on cfgs neatly organized.) I suggest you create one via the scenario editor just to get the right parameters set up.

:cheers:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Okay, I'll try that.

---------- Post added 08-29-13 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-28-13 at 11:51 PM ----------

I tested it using the trajectory from Luna 9. It does need some work. The flames for the vernier engines don't match the engine bells. The legs of the lander need to be folded up when the retro engine is still attached, I believe. The RCS is very weak, like Voyager weak, it makes performing maneuvers very hard.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Here's a cool NASA film from 1965 talking about the Lunar Orbiter Program.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT9Cpxa-V70"]The Lunar Orbiter: A Spacecraft to Advance Lunar Exploration 1965 NASA Boeing 7min - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Strange how Martins forgot to consider how inputs could be done :shrug:.

As far as I know the Orbiter core commands are there, but they don't get converted into Lua events... Perhaps some custom dll may be able to do that, I don't know.

For the launch vehicle, I think Velcro has Atlas + Centaur, so go for it.

Don't know if this is the ARM you are talking about, but perhaps these images will help:
http://historicspacecraft.com/Probes_Lunar.html
Surveyor_Motor_CMSI_RK_2008_1.jpg

Now, I tested the Surveyor 2.0 and as I trusted the spacecraft separated from the 2 circular parts... Don't know it's because I reused a situation from Ranger 7 or some keypress, but it did separate.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try that.

---------- Post added 08-29-13 at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-28-13 at 11:51 PM ----------

I tested it using the trajectory from Luna 9. It does need some work. The flames for the vernier engines don't match the engine bells. The legs of the lander need to be folded up when the retro engine is still attached, I believe. The RCS is very weak, like Voyager weak, it makes performing maneuvers very hard.

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Here's a cool NASA film from 1965 talking about the Lunar Orbiter Program.

The Lunar Orbiter: A Spacecraft to Advance Lunar Exploration 1965 NASA Boeing 7min - YouTube

Not a great deal that I can do about weak thrusters, it was the 60s remember ;).

If you can find me a picture of the landed legs configuration, that would be great. I may have to do some research on complex animations to do that however. I'll fix the vernier exhausts, thanks for pointing that out.

As far as I know the Orbiter core commands are there, but they don't get converted into Lua events... Perhaps some custom dll may be able to do that, I don't know.

For the launch vehicle, I think Velcro has Atlas + Centaur, so go for it.

Don't know if this is the ARM you are talking about, but perhaps these images will help:
http://historicspacecraft.com/Probes_Lunar.html
Surveyor_Motor_CMSI_RK_2008_1.jpg

Now, I tested the Surveyor 2.0 and as I trusted the spacecraft separated from the 2 circular parts... Don't know it's because I reused a situation from Ranger 7 or some keypress, but it did separate.

AMR, it was called. I believe it was the terminal guidance radar, shot out of the main retro right before ignition. The pic you posted is an excellent one of the main retro, but the AMR is inside, so not much help unfortunately.

Good link by the way :)

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
For specific hardware, you may find something by searching the manufacturer's site and / or publications. The hard part is to track down what company did what and if they are still in business. :thumbup:

Richieb

Reaction score
If you look at this mission report on page 11 there is a photograph of Surveyor 3 before encapsulation with legs folded,

www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/Surveyor-III-MIssionRpt1967028267.pdf

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I apologize for bumping such an old thread but I think that it would be a good idea to revisit this project with the advent of Multistage2015. I've also learned more about Surveyor and how it was sent towards the Moon. The landing legs were deployed after separation from the Centaur, not after Retro Jettison.

Multistage2015 can handle the launch auto pilots for missions that went into an Earth parking orbit. A simple Multistage2015 pitch program for the first stage of flight coupled with IMFD for the rest of the launch sequence can be used for missions that did a direct ascent.

I would also really like to see the successful Rangers and the Lunar Orbiters implemented as well.