Question 3D Programs?

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Hullo hullo, I've been contemplating on learning 3D designing, and have checked out some different 3D programs. I have pretty much boiled down my options to two different programs: XSI or 3ds Max.

I currently run XSI mod tool in a vain attempt at creating something that doesn't make you throw up when looking at it, and I'm told that the "proper" XSI is very similar in interface etc. So I'm starting to understand what's what in the XSI interface etc. It's easy to use but still offers some advanced options.

On the other hand, my mate runs 3DS Max (or more specifically, 3DS Max Design 2009), and it appears to have many advanced features, something called "modifiers" (that allows your for example to twist the middle of a cylinder x ammount of degrees), an extensive material library (whereas in XSI mod tool I have to make the materials myself), comprehensive documentation and tutorials and easy rendering (something I missed in XSI M-T).

I'm at loss here, I don't know which one to go for, do you guys have any experience with either of them, can you reccomend something?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hullo hullo, I've been contemplating on learning 3D designing, and have checked out some different 3D programs. I have pretty much boiled down my options to two different programs: XSI or 3ds Max.

I currently run XSI mod tool in a vain attempt at creating something that doesn't make you throw up when looking at it, and I'm told that the "proper" XSI is very similar in interface etc. So I'm starting to understand what's what in the XSI interface etc. It's easy to use but still offers some advanced options.

On the other hand, my mate runs 3DS Max (or more specifically, 3DS Max Design 2009), and it appears to have many advanced features, something called "modifiers" (that allows your for example to twist the middle of a cylinder x ammount of degrees), an extensive material library (whereas in XSI mod tool I have to make the materials myself), comprehensive documentation and tutorials and easy rendering (something I missed in XSI M-T).

I'm at loss here, I don't know which one to go for, do you guys have any experience with either of them, can you reccomend something?

If you have no money, get Wings3D.

If you have (lots of) money, go with 3DS Max.

EtherDragon

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you're just getting started and you have some money - get AC3D available at http://www.inivis.com/ It's about $80, but you can try it, full featured for free for 30 days.

There is even a .mesh export plugin available for it, which makes Orbiter modding a lot easier.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you have (lots of) money, go with 3DS Max.
Or you can simply go get the little brother of 3DS MAX, GMAX: http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

It doesn't have the really advanced stuff that 3DS MAX does(like rendering and it is a bit old) but it has everything else. And there's an msh export script: http://www.nestadlinn.de/orbiter/downloads/max2msh12.zip

Just follow the instructions included with the script and you should have no troubles exporting from GMAX to Orbiter.

I have been using GMAX for the past 3 years now and it really is a great 3D modelling tool.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
You can do a lot with Google Sketchup. I'm trained in CAD solids 3D, not artist mesh 3D, so I'm pretty ignorant about the 3D Max side of the fence.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I would have to recommend you to use these. My list is based on personal experience. From first to last:

A) Wings3d It has a very minimalistic and easy interface. I do not believe you can export immediately to Orbiter's .msh format but you are easily able to export it to .3ds for which there are many utilities to do so.

B)Anim8or Honestly, the only reason I'm including this one is because many people on this forum use it. I found it a little difficult to work with.

C)Blender It has to be said, and a lot of people groan at this one for it's interface. I am here to tell you this, if you haven't used 3dsMax/Maya/other similar interfaces, it is definitely very manageable and valuable. Use the 3d Noob to Pro guide to get you through the interface quickly. Remember, you do not need to know everything about blender, I have only used maybe a (1/16) of the features--including time spent playing around with particles for no other reason than they look cool :lol:. And it is, in my opinion, on par with much of what your 3ds Max friends can do.

These programs are about 7MB, 5MB, and 9MB in order. Much smaller packages than most, and are capable of a lot. Frankly the best thing about the small sizes are how much easier it is to download them all and give them a try.

I have not included any other packages like GMax because I found it difficult ot use. Feel free to give it a whirl though. My problem with these sort of programs is that it feels to me as though I'm manipulating an Excel Document, which hinders my capabilities. I actually started with Anim8or, then moved to Maya PLE, and then found comfort with Blender (But am currently enjoying Wings3d very much). If you feel much more numerically inclined, Try Anim8or, and then GMax.

And finally, all of these programs are capable of doing very good and very bad works. It is completely up to which size brush fits your style best.

P.S. Not sure if it needs to be said, but with the exception of 3dsMax/Maya. The above all are free downloads.

Best of luck!:thumbup:

Addendum: I was rereading your initial post. Realize that 3d is a highly complicated field where there are many specialties. Lighting, Composition, Modeling to name a few well-known ones. Some of the packages listed do not have very good tools for some of these purposes.

Bottom Line: Download them all. Tell us what you think. We'll help out where we can ;)

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I would have to recommend you to use these. My list is based on personal experience. From first to last:

A) Wings3d It has a very minimalistic and easy interface. I do not believe you can export immediately to Orbiter's .msh format but you are easily able to export it to .3ds for which there are many utilities to do so.

A .msh exporter is available for Wings. See this thread for the link.

It still has some issues, so I haven't widely released it yet, but I may be doing so soon.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like to give a plug for AC3D, well worth the $80.00 bucks, it's ease and speed at applying textures and materials is second to none, IMHO.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll second the call for Wings3d. From what I've been able to do, it's a VERY capable modeler that can do everything Anim8or can do plus much else. It also offers numeric entry which I love also having a CAD-based-background. Complex shapes are easy with Wings3d compared to other modelers I've tried. The only thing is that you can't arbitrarily delete stuff like vertexes, edges, faces etc. due to the unique way Wings3d is programmed. However, once you work your way around the interface, ypu'll figure out how to get around this.
Texturing however is something I'm only just getting started in with Wings (don't worry, Hielor, I read what you posted this morning, I just haven't had time to apply it yet) so I'm not fully aware of how well it works, but it looks much more powerful than Anim8or's system.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It also offers numeric entry which I love also having a CAD-based-background.
That's one of the best parts. If I want to be ultra-precise I can be. If I want to just drag things around until they look good, I can do that too. It's especially helpful for doing things like replicating an object in a hexagon pattern, if you do a little math on your own. Just eyeing it would take forever to get right, but doing it by the numbers makes it easy.

The only thing is that you can't arbitrarily delete stuff like vertexes, edges, faces etc. due to the unique way Wings3d is programmed. However, once you work your way around the interface, ypu'll figure out how to get around this.
Wings3D uses the "winged edge" modeling paradigm--that is, each edge must always be attached to two polygons (wings), no more no less.

You can't always randomly delete things, yes, but that's keeping you from getting into an invalid state. There are also very few instances where you would want a single polygon floating around that isn't attached to anything, and forcing all edges to be attached to two polygons ensures that you don't end up with random bugs in Orbiter like "hmmm, why can I see the solar array from one side of the model and not the other?" -- yes Vash I'm looking at you. It does take some getting used to, though, especially when you want to make a hollow or open object.

I think it's a good limitation in the long run, since it probably encourages good modelling practices (like always having two sides to your model).

Texturing however is something I'm only just getting started in with Wings (don't worry, Hielor, I read what you posted this morning, I just haven't had time to apply it yet) so I'm not fully aware of how well it works, but it looks much more powerful than Anim8or's system.
No worries. Get to it when you get a chance. There's probably also some better tutorials for the current version out there than what I gave you. I've considered that maybe I should put a few pages on the wiki of information about Wings, to help people in switching.