Gaming 0x10c

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Pronounced...well, nobody actually knows how you should pronounce it at this point.

Article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-hardcore-space-simulator-as-next-project.ars

Possibly the nerdiest backstory for a video game ever:
In a parallel universe where the space race never ended, space travel was gaining popularity amongst corporations and rich individuals.
In 1988, a brand new deep sleep cell was released, compatible with all popular 16 bit computers. Unfortunately, it used big endian, whereas the DCPU-16 specifications called for little endian. This led to a severe bug in the included drivers, causing a requested sleep of0x0000 0000 0000 0001 years to last for 0x0001 0000 0000 0000 years.
It's now the year 281 474 976 712 644 AD, and the first lost people are starting to wake up to a universe on the brink of extinction, with all remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy.

The description makes it sound like a pretty massive undertaking:
The game is still very early in development, but here is a list of things we hope to include:

• Hard science fiction.
  • Lots of engineering.
  • Fully working computer system.
  • Space battles against the AI or other players.
  • Abandoned ships full of loot.
  • Duct tape!
  • Seamlessly landing on planets.
  • Advanced economy system.
  • Random encounters.
  • Mining, trading, and looting.
  • Single and multi player connected via the multiverse.
Sounds like a lot for such a small dev crew to do. My guess? We'll be flying pixelated ugly spaceships around a pixelated ugly universe, but it won't matter, because we'll all be playing emulated Angry Birds on our little in-game computers while we're flying around.

The programming aspect sounds like the most interesting part.

Wally

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here, since I couldn't find any other appropriate place to do so...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hardcore space simulator my ass. It'll be another Star Wars physics game. Notch can't tell his head from his ass when it comes to Math and Physics and he admitted so himself.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
So the only joke about "Mars Effect" was the name. I'd like to say I suspected it from the beginning, but I was honestly too busy contemplating the potential awesomness lost to a trivial joke.

I certainly hope this turns out every bit as awesome as it sounds, and not another autism-enabling time waster like Minecraft.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's probably no secret by now that I hate minecraft. I just hope this awesome sounding game doesn't turn out like it did (abandoned by notch and left to another team to rot)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hold no hopes for this game. As Risingfury already said, Notch and friends know nothing of, well, the workings of reality. The description makes it seem incredibly awesome, but the developers will stand in their own way when it comes to making this what they intend. Sounds more to me like Notch tried out KSP, clicked around related topics and settled on wanting to make some sort of nerdy space game.

I certainly hope this turns out every bit as awesome as it sounds, and not another autism-enabling time waster like Minecraft.
:blackeye:

But the funny part is I can't wholeheartedly disagree with you there.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Pronounced...well, nobody actually knows how you should pronounce it at this point.

Ten-C Hex
Hex Ten-C
or
Ten-C
would all be valid.

As would:
One Hundred and C Hex, Hex One Hundred and C, One Hundred and C
One Oh C Hex...
One Zero C Hex...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ten-C Hex
Hex Ten-C
or
Ten-C
would all be valid.

As would:
One Oh C Hex...
One Zero C Hex...
In the logo, the "c" on the website is actually superscripted.

Not sure if that's significant, though...

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Ten-C Hex
Hex Ten-C
or
Ten-C
would all be valid.

As would:
One Oh C Hex...
One Zero C Hex...

Assuming "0x10c" means a number, it's "one hundred and C". If you have to clarify the base, it's "base ten thousand binary". "hexadecimal" shows bias towards the ape-digit system, which some people call "base-ten" or "decimal" despite the fact that every integer base has ten as the first two-digit number.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If it isn't decimal base, it can't be called "one hundred and C". Personally, I prefer it this way: "one-oh-see".

Jarod

Reaction score
This project doesn't start well, the most advanced thing at this stage is a 16 bit emulator that could have been replaced by any kind of interface.
And people seems to be more excited by this 16 bit emulator than the game in itself.

MattBaker

Reaction score
You want sales, so you try to make physics, spaceflight and hard science fiction clear to the uninterested, "dumb masses". If you stick to this concept and make it real, good luck Notch, so many had failed in that mission, I'm not sure if you will, too.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

can you please quote whatever it is? Twitter isn't letting me see that.

I'm starting to regret the decision to go with hard science fiction. A lot of interesting gameplay elements are hard to explain well..

Just think of Orbiter and explaining someone what an orbit is, periapsis and apoapsis, inclination, transfer orbits or slingshots, what propellant is used for what, what does a nuclear reactor has to do with propulsion. That's hard enough, not to mention future science-fiction-things.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Regret leads to despair, Despair leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, and Hate, leads to Rejection.[/yoda]
In other news, the comments over at GameZone have come up with the best pronunciation so far: zero X-is-ten-C > Zero Existence. They also came up with another suggestion, but that one isn't family friendly.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In the logo, the "c" on the website is actually superscripted.

Not sure if that's significant, though...

It is: 0x10^c = 16^12 = 0x1000000000000 = 2^48 = 281,474,976,712,644 (base 10).

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

I consider "both" a fairly likely outcome.

Last edited: