Your Time Travel Plans (Not Tourism)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well... in that case, your best bet is to study from Ray Mears, set traps for small animals, and avoid megafauna...

Oh, you mean, like, survive after being trapped in medeval times? Why would you want to even go to the middle ages? The politics were feudalistic, the most developed nations on Earth were worse than Africa is today, and the streets were covered in... waste created by the transportation infrastructure.

How fun. :(

E

ex-orbinaut

The "past", you say. Okay, ALLLLLLLLL the way back, just to satisfy a small and rather insignificant curiosity. Would I ever get there?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I'd read up on Bayes' theorem and Aramaic. Then, I'd go to the Middle East, early CE era. Using 21st century rationalism, I'd convince the followers of a certain underground judaistic cult that instead of preaching the death of their leader as the second coming of god, they need to spread rational inquiry and the scientific method throughout the Roman empire.

Dambuster

Reaction score
I'd go to the Eastern Roman (aka Byzantine) Empire. The two time periods I'd visit would be during its heyday (during the reign of Justinian) and then shortly before its fall (AD 1453). Before going, I'd certainly study a lot of Greek, and also learn about the culture of the place.

And aside from that...I'd have to visit and perhaps document many other weird and wonderful places...amongst them would be what is now Greece, probably around the time of the Athenian democracy, perhaps the Roman Republic (preferably Rome itself, but I'm not sure how well a foreigner would fare!), the capital of China at some point, Angkor Wat, and Baghdad to see the House of Wisdom. Mucho time-traveller fuel would be required.

EDIT: and of course, maybe some clever diplomacy to protect Constantinople from the Ottomans - I've always wondered what the world would be like if Constantinople were still Constantinople today!

EDIT2: And I'd love to see the construction of the Hagia Sophia. Whilst I'm on the topic, it would be nice to get a few snapshots of

Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You'd have to protect Constantinople from crusaders, too... Unless I become a polyglot, would not want to go anywhere past 200 years. Living in the Past is a great song but a tricky pastime, with no modern dentistry, no flush toilets and a pressing need to learn cleaning horses instead of fixing the car.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not to sound like a killjoy, but the OP specified:

- no tourism
- no going around changing history

The topic is about surviving and possibly lead a prosperous life in a time period in the past. I take it in a realistic perspective, like I cannot learn ancient languages in one night or learn a whole new set of skills.

It's like moving to another country and make your fortune there. Instead of choosing a country, you choose a time period and explain why and how you're going to make it there (or, rather, then).

Since there's the possibility of carrying some limited equipment, can anyone elaborate on what you would carry?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A prosperous life: if one cannot have it now with the benefit of loads of background information, high chances that in an unknown epoch one would not have been able to either (note the tense :) ).

Emigration into the past: if I haven't emigrated Russia before when so many people fled for the promise of better chow, why should I do that now?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I'd read up on Bayes' theorem and Aramaic. Then, I'd go to the Middle East, early CE era. Using 21st century rationalism, I'd convince the followers of a certain underground judaistic cult that instead of preaching the death of their leader as the second coming of god, they need to spread rational inquiry and the scientific method throughout the Roman empire.

And then live there right? How you you survive the turmoil around the decisions you make in this universe? For years?

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

I'd go to the Eastern Roman (aka Byzantine) Empire. The two time periods I'd visit would be during its heyday (during the reign of Justinian) and then shortly before its fall (AD 1453). Before going, I'd certainly study a lot of Greek, and also learn about the culture of the place.

And aside from that...I'd have to visit and perhaps document many other weird and wonderful places...amongst them would be what is now Greece, probably around the time of the Athenian democracy, perhaps the Roman Republic (preferably Rome itself, but I'm not sure how well a foreigner would fare!), the capital of China at some point, Angkor Wat, and Baghdad to see the House of Wisdom. Mucho time-traveller fuel would be required.

EDIT: and of course, maybe some clever diplomacy to protect Constantinople from the Ottomans - I've always wondered what the world would be like if Constantinople were still Constantinople today!

EDIT2: And I'd love to see the construction of the Hagia Sophia. Whilst I'm on the topic, it would be nice to get a few snapshots of

No Tourism please. Folks do look at the OP I want you to explain how you will LIVE in the era you specify being able to bring what you can carry.

I am actually stunned that nobody is mentioning specific patents they would sell or build and how that effects things going forward.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Not to sound like a killjoy, but the OP specified:

- no tourism
- no going around changing history

The topic is about surviving and possibly lead a prosperous life in a time period in the past. I take it in a realistic perspective, like I cannot learn ancient languages in one night or learn a whole new set of skills.

It's like moving to another country and make your fortune there. Instead of choosing a country, you choose a time period and explain why and how you're going to make it there (or, rather, then).

Since there's the possibility of carrying some limited equipment, can anyone elaborate on what you would carry?

You can change history in YOUR fictional history but other than you vanishing from the current you do no changes no vanishing yourself or causing paradoxes due to the quantum theory.

I just don't want it to be violent such as you saying your actions cause a war or a dam to break. This topic is a fun but serious topic about YOUR survival in a new world the changes you make ought to further impact how you survive. (Such as only one big lotto win before contamination ruins the rest of your list)

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

A prosperous life: if one cannot have it now with the benefit of loads of background information, high chances that in an unknown epoch one would not have been able to either (note the tense :) ).

Emigration into the past: if I haven't emigrated Russia before when so many people fled for the promise of better chow, why should I do that now?

The OP explained that this is not really YOU but your fictional self. No reasons needed just say where and how.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty cool to study up/become experienced ocean navigator tall ship admiral. Then go back to the age of European oceanic exploration. The main thing you are bringing back in time is knowledge which you can choose to keep a secret for yourself and landing yourself lots of jobs or work for some king/queen (to get a sweet ship). another thing you could bring back and keep secret is a modern durable compass (weatherproof military pocket compass or larger naval one in a locked box) and some good charts, of course some of the details would be different but on the larger scale you could get to wherever you wanted with ease. Also bringing back some knowledge of long term health and nutrition for the crews would be great, or learning how to make some kind of citric acid powder with rudimentary equipment as a vitamin supplement or how to distill rubbing alcohol for first aid. These are things you could "invent" or discover and use on your voyages becoming a very successful explorer without letting on to your real origin. Some other things I would bring for my own pleasure would be a Space Pen with 100 spare cartridges and a few large journals with modern archival paper...waterproof paper maybe? I would keep these with my personal belongings and write in private. I also might sneak an LED headlamp into my bag with a few sets of rechargeable batteries and a solar powered charger. who knows maybe with enough determination, skill, and luck the Native American/European diplomacy issues could be dealt with in a more positive way than the eventual wars that ensued. If not feeling very extravagant or overly confident one could ignore the whole political aspect and just pursue wealth and a large estate, or settle in a lonesome part of the Americas to retire from the sea.

EDIT: I'll be honest I would probably also bring a first aid kit for myself ONLY with some modern medicines in it, a good pocket knife of highest quality, and a pistol with a box of bullets for use in a VERY dire situation so that I could enjoy my life in the past for as long as I could. I would only bring one box as a mental note to myself that it was for dire self defense only.

Last edited:

Jer95

Surface base designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Jul 1969, KSC - Apollo 11 launch
Sep 11, 2001 - Prevent planes crashing in NYC and DC
Dec 31, 2012 - To see if world is in ruins or not
Aug 21, 2017 - Watch solar eclipse in Oregon
Apr 1981 - STS-1 Launch
Jan 2003 - Notify mission control that Shuttle Columbia's wing has been damaged

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Jul 1969, KSC - Apollo 11 launch
Sep 11, 2001 - Prevent planes crashing in NYC and DC
Dec 31, 2012 - To see if world is in ruins or not
Aug 21, 2017 - Watch solar eclipse in Oregon
Apr 1981 - STS-1 Launch
Jan 2003 - Notify mission control that Shuttle Columbia's wing has been damaged

:facepalm:

No time tourism. Pick a date and explain how you will live. What you would bring.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

I think it would be pretty cool to study up/become experienced ocean navigator tall ship admiral. Then go back to the age of European oceanic exploration. The main thing you are bringing back in time is knowledge which you can choose to keep a secret for yourself and landing yourself lots of jobs or work for some king/queen (to get a sweet ship). another thing you could bring back and keep secret is a modern durable compass (weatherproof military pocket compass or larger naval one in a locked box) and some good charts, of course some of the details would be different but on the larger scale you could get to wherever you wanted with ease. Also bringing back some knowledge of long term health and nutrition for the crews would be great, or learning how to make some kind of citric acid powder with rudimentary equipment as a vitamin supplement or how to distill rubbing alcohol for first aid. These are things you could "invent" or discover and use on your voyages becoming a very successful explorer without letting on to your real origin. Some other things I would bring for my own pleasure would be a Space Pen with 100 spare cartridges and a few large journals with modern archival paper...waterproof paper maybe? I would keep these with my personal belongings and write in private. I also might sneak an LED headlamp into my bag with a few sets of rechargeable batteries and a solar powered charger. who knows maybe with enough determination, skill, and luck the Native American/European diplomacy issues could be dealt with in a more positive way than the eventual wars that ensued. If not feeling very extravagant or overly confident one could ignore the whole political aspect and just pursue wealth and a large estate, or settle in a lonesome part of the Americas to retire from the sea.

EDIT: I'll be honest I would probably also bring a first aid kit for myself ONLY with some modern medicines in it, a good pocket knife of highest quality, and a pistol with a box of bullets for use in a VERY dire situation so that I could enjoy my life in the past for as long as I could. I would only bring one box as a mental note to myself that it was for dire self defense only.

I refer you to the Salem witch trials. If anyone discovered you with some of this technology you would likely have a mutiny on your hands in your universe no?

Something tells me short of sinking every fictional ship that approaches the fictional Americas for the next few centuries I doubt the situation with Natives could be affected much. That is my opinion based on how people even today react to someone who isn't Caucasian.

From my understanding as well real life onboard ships in the age of sail is too disgusting to show on TV. You would literally find places where crew just go without any care of how dangerous fecal matter is to the health of the crew. Rot everywhere. Not a very pleasant place to be in my opinion.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I refer you to the Salem witch trials. If anyone discovered you with some of this technology you would likely have a mutiny on your hands in your universe no?

Something tells me short of sinking every fictional ship that approaches the fictional Americas for the next few centuries I doubt the situation with Natives could be affected much. That is my opinion based on how people even today react to someone who isn't Caucasian.

From my understanding as well real life onboard ships in the age of sail is too disgusting to show on TV. You would literally find places where crew just go without any care of how dangerous fecal matter is to the health of the crew. Rot everywhere. Not a very pleasant place to be in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

for the witches i wouldn't hire puritans. also as a captain i don't think they would necessarily question your equipment so much

for sinking all the ships.... true dat, i accept your proposition for possibly the only way to do this

for the disgusting-ness, I feel that this could be a matter of running your ship differently.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Running your ship differently? How? They already faced Catoninetails and even things as horrid as locking them in the cargo area with only a small light hole to attract bugs. Unless you had somthing like the agonizer from Mirror darkly I doubt they would change their habits much.

I disagree about questioning also. Because on the close quarters you know rumors of dark magic or some unholy bs would fly. Run into a storm they blame you. Someone falls ill they will think its you. You cant explain LED technology or most of what else you bring.

I am not trying to ruin dreams or anything. I just think many have the completely wrong idea of what the age of sail was like. Its not captain jack sparrow and a crew of happy pirates or clean decks and seas with dolphins following. It was a disgusting, hard, short for many life. Taken for many as a choice between the ship or prison.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, as far near-term go-backs, I'd bring a laptop for "proof of future citizenship" and data storage, go back to the mid 70's and get myself hired as a consultant for DEC (bringing back information on their future designs as well as their business mistakes to help). I'd tell them that microcomputers are the wave of the future and that they have till 1981 to beat the IBM PC to market with a better design, and give advice based on what happened in my home timeline to help.

As far as far term, I'd go back far enough to find out the earliest point at which the Earth was inhabitable. Then I'd take a bunch of people with me to that time to found a colony using modern technology during that time period, using contemporary flora and fauna for agriculture if at all possible.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
alright i retract everything I said. the idea is completely impossible. the discussion is moot.
why bother bringing back inventions or even discussing this? do you have any ideas that are more creative, complex or even viable by the rules set forth? criticism is empty and worthless unless you also offer through discussion solutions to the points you are countering.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

but to answer your questions:

I would change their habits in the following ways

1.to start with i would not hire street urchins and drunks. If you're "hiring" people by going down to the local bar, tossing some coins at the jerk in the corner and drugging his friend so he wakes up in the bottom of a boat at sea, this is no way to find quality men. My crew would be naval military, or at least respectable men expecting respectable pay. for the crew member who was rebellious or crapping on my ship this i would follow tradition of course, beat them and keel hauled, or hanged as a strong lesson to the rest. monetary bonus and honor to those following my rules, torture and disgrace for those who don't :thumbup:

I said from the beginning that my equipment could be kept as much of a secret as needed. No one but the first mate or officers would be allowed into the cabin. Besides, at those time a compass is not considered black magic or witchcraft. people were very familiar with the idea of a compass. a modern navigating compass would not look that weird to them as there is nothing so remarkably different about them except they don't look fancy. I would just say i bought it from the finest compass maker of an exotic land. As for my headlamp, I would only wear it while wearing a big black cloak, and when someone saw me with it I would aim the light at their face, blinding them. Then I would shock them with a tazer and put everything away, as they were regaining their senses I would explain to them that I found them there on the deck and he looked like he had taken a tumble.

QUOTE: "I am not trying to ruin dreams or anything. I just think many have the completely wrong idea of what the age of sail was like. Its not captain jack sparrow and a crew of happy pirates or clean decks and seas with dolphins following. It was a disgusting, hard, short for many life. Taken for many as a choice between the ship or prison."

do you think i'm a 12 year old with no concept of reality? I have no response to this because it would only be negative

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I think one who could go back in time and apply to the past some sound military and economic practices of this day would go pretty far - and draw attention but that's inevitable. One could find himself a couple of good smiths, teach them about rifled barrels when everybody was toying around with smoothbores, come up with the centerfire cartridge, and the apply modern, WW2-era tactics and practices and become the greatest mercenary leader ever. Of course, he would have to spend some good time recruiting worthy partners.

By the way, what does your timexpat starter kit include? I'd say gold would be mandatory. Gold has been valuable through practically all the ages. Big value for mass, too.