Question Your Favorite Movies

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In random order (the only order I can do at 0830 on a saturday), some well known movies I like:

Apollo 13
Pirates of the Caribbean (the original)
Full Metal Jacket
Charlie Wilson's War
Enemy at the Gates
Goodbye Lenin
Love Actually
Gladiator
Oceans 11

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
In Order,
Apollo 13,
All 6 of the Star wars movies.
Titanic,
The Right Stuff,
The Astronaut farmer,
Harry Potter 1.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hehehehe...Want to know a secret...I was in Glory.....

A re-enactor, I assume?

I once talked to a Revolutionary War re-enactor who was in The Patriot with Mel Gibson. He said he played both sides, American and Brits. He said if you watch carefully, you can see him firing a shot on one side, and then getting hit on the other.:)

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A re-enactor, I assume?

No really... I was in the Army then and they came to the base and "volunteered" us to be in it. For three days we marched, and marched, and marched.....we must of marched 100 miles. But it was fun and afterwards we were all given free tickets to the movie when it came out. ;)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
No really... I was in the Army then and they came to the base and "volunteered" us to be in it. For three days we marched, and marched, and marched.....we must of marched 100 miles. But it was fun and afterwards we were all given free tickets to the movie when it came out. ;)

Yeah, leave it to the Army to make you feel grateful for a $6 movie ticket aftermaking you do a 3-day force march!:rofl:

He should have a go at the Olympics.

The Self-Shooting Biathalon?

SpaceCowboy

Reaction score
I really like the 1986 movie Space Camp, and all 3 Pirate movies. I'll probably like the 4th one too.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My favorite movie is probably The Adventures of Pluto Nash.
Nah, just kidding. :p :rofl:

I'll have to think of my favorite movies. I've seen so many crap ones I've blocked most references to movies out of my mind. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hehehehe...Want to know a secret...I was in Glory.....

I had the lucky chance to watch the movie yesterday night, from 0:35 on... but I did not see you there. In which scene did you appear? :rofl:

But yeah, really a great movie, though it has the a bit those of senseless Hollywood moments inside it, which turned "The last Samurai" in just 20 minutes from an, until this point, really great movie, into awful popcorn cinema.

The best war movies are IMHO still "Saving Private Ryan" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

Reaction score
mine are:

Apollo 13 (my second copy i wore the first one out :))
Fight Club
Gone In 60 Second
Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (because now its just looks so bad its funny)

i love so many others but these are my favorite

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Urwumpe said:
The best war movies are IMHO still "Saving Private Ryan" and "Letters from Iwo Jima".

I haven't seen Letters, yet, and I though SPR was okay. The ending was very Spielberg/Hollywood popcorn, though. The way he portrays German soldiers just didn't look right to me. The ones on the beech seemed realistic (weren't they mostly non-Germans in real life?), but the ones at the end lined up like ducks in a shooting gallery, and the ending with the tank on the bridge was way too Hollywood. The first 20 minutes were the most amazing combat scene ever filmed, though.

My favorite war movie might be Full Metal Jacket, but to me it's not really a war movie per se; it's a Kubrick exploration of human nature in a war setting. A lot of people have told me that they didn't understand why it looks like two different movies, the boot camp half and the Vietnam half, and that they only like the boot camp half. But that's the whole point of the movie. Kubrick is explaining the two side of man. Every character had a duality, as explained by Joker in the hilarious scene with the obnoxious colonel. Gunnery Sgt. Hartman was a fearless drill instructor who lost his nerve when Pyle had the rifle in the toilet. Pyle was a dumb, harmless kid who turned into a psycho. Cowboy was a loyal friend squad leader who was going to abandon his two men when the sniper attacked. Animal-Mother was a racist jerk who risked everything and charged in to rescue his black friend. And in the end, even Joker had a duality. He went from happy-go-lucky Joker to a cold-blooded killer.

Plus the surreal madness of the Battle of Hue City, with the Surfin' Bird music whiel the tanks shell the town, and the insane helicopter door gunner. Great movie.

BTW, does anyone else find it funny that Adam Baldwin seems to play the exact same character in Firefly as he did in Full Metal Jacket 15 years earlier?

Warning: foul language!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I haven't seen Letters, yet, and I though SPR was okay. The ending was very Spielberg/Hollywood popcorn, though. The way he portrays German soldiers just didn't look right to me. The ones on the beech seemed realistic (weren't they mostly non-Germans in real life?), but the ones at the end lined up like ducks in a shooting gallery, and the ending with the tank on the bridge was way too Hollywood. The first 20 minutes were the most amazing combat scene ever filmed, though.

I thought they are portrait OK, as he did not display them (all) as monsters. Also the ending was not too unrealistic... after all, the US soldiers also ended quickly as targets though they plotted the trap.

I mean, honestly, even "Das Boot" did not have a perfect demographic crew of a German submarine, though their composition was pretty well done.

Moonwalker

Reaction score

What about Band of Brothers?

I don't know about Letters from Iwo Jima. But other than Saving Private Ryan, the story of Band of Brothers really happened and the characters exist. That makes it the second best war movie beside Schindlers List. But only in my point of view of course ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What about Band of Brothers?

It's a miniseries. Otherwise I would have had to include "From The Earth to the Moon" and "Terminator:SCC" into my favorites. ;)

"Letters from Iwo Jima" BTW also happened, though I am not sure where reality starts and fictions begins. It is based on two collection of letters from that island, one from the real General Kuribayashi ("Picture letters from the Commander in Chief"). The commanders are real, most minor soldiers not.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, Band of Brothers is technically a miniseries, not a movie, so it doesn't really fit in here, but I agree with its quality. I thought it was much better than Saving Private Ryan. Better flow to the story, better casting, better script writing and all.

Das Boot and Platoon are also great war movies. The latter is the only thing Oliver Stone has ever done right.

Spicer

Reaction score
I really only have one. It has everything that a movie should have...Action, love, wise sayings, comedy...even though it wasn't on purpose

Road House!

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, hey, Spicer, your main man Swayze is back in his new TV show. I hope he wins his battle against cancer.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Das Boot
Alien
Magnificent seven
World's fastest Indian
Pulp Fiction

There is lot more,but these are few.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey, here's an interesting article about what they author names the 20 greatest sequels of all time.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/article5614273.ece

I could argue against some of them, of course, but it brought up a few movies I definitely loved. Aliens, T2, and Godfather II, not to mention Wrath of Khan, which was the best Trek movie.

Watching the trailer for Aliens takes me back to high school when I remember first hearing that a sequal to Alien was about to be released. Wow, now that was a much-anticipated flick! And it didn't disappoint. The night I saw it with my friends, it was pouring rain outside, just like the movie, and when me and my friend got into my car to go home, we both checked the back seat first, to make sure we didn't end up like the dropship pilot and crew chief. What an awesome movie that was.