You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
... When your best psychotherapists is running Orbiter looking for strange angles of the celestial bodies from a DG and taking screenshots while listening to Wagner.

Sent from my Deltaglider using Potatolk.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While I was on vacation I had a dream right before I woke up that seemed to involve something to do with a manual Apollo reentry. The camera was rotating around with the rotation of the capsule, and I felt this distinct urge to press F2. I kid you not...

paradineai

Capt. P. W. Gilliland U.S.M.C.
Reaction score
...when you draw up plans to put thrusters on anything
...when you spend 5 hours working on a moon base instead of that big Calculus project! (yes, I'm doing that right now :p)

well I know im addicted then cause I spent 36 hrs strait on orbiter going fromlaunch to orbit gathering supplies then to moon building base on moon then back to earth to home base just to set up for next mission (I use VSA spreadsheets for more realism) :hailprobe: :coffee:

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
... When you caught yourself thinking about how to change Windows startup sound to `Welcome aboard commander. All Vanguard systems nominal`

Sent from my Deltaglider using Potatolk.

Already did it.

right-click on desktop>Personalize>Sounds>Browse (for newer OSes, like 7)

right-click on desktop>properties>(second tab, I think)>sounds>browse (for XP-like systems, I don't have an XP machine here to check right now)

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
Already did it.

right-click on desktop>Personalize>Sounds>Browse (for newer OSes, like 7)

right-click on desktop>properties>(second tab, I think)>sounds>browse (for XP-like systems, I don't have an XP machine here to check right now)

A week after posting it, I thought who cares, and went to Control Panel>Sounds & Hadware>Sound>Sounds and changed it (WinVista Home Basic) :lol:

But I think it's too optimistic that sound for the startup: it still needs more than 10 minutes to be usable after hearing it.

Anyway... welcome aboard, commander... :hailprobe:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
...when you got to the habit of simulating future real life space launch around the world in Orbiter if possible. :p (latest example is on my Twitter account today!)

Oh and you know you know you're a space geek when you follow real life spaceflight events (rocket launches, EVAs and others) multiple times late into the night:

Shuttle launch at 2:20 am? Check (STS-132)
Atlas V launches at 2 am? Check (at least twice)
Falcon 9 at 2:45 am? Check (the maiden flight, I'll forever remember this one)
Antares maiden flight at 5 am? Check (up for ALL three attempts!)
Manned Soyuz launches at 4 am? Check (all three launches this year)
Proton launches at 2-5 am? Check (multiple times, including the last two)
Ariane 5 launches at 5-6 am? Check (multiple times)
Overnight EVAs? Check (both American and Russian ones)

Oh and I have already scheduled a "contingency toilet break" during sleep time at 2 am here on November 19....you know what will happen then. :p

Haven't tried skipping lessons at school to see a launch though...... ;)

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
  • When you worry that you won't be able to steer your car without an APU button.
  • You now expect all airplanes to be equipped a set of hover engines
  • You bought an expensive telescope because your last one couldn't make out Brighton Moon Base

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Need to get work done, noise is bothering me.

Put on headphones, start aircond.wav in winamp & loop it indefinitely.

Ahh, thats better :cool:

Keatah

Reaction score
I looped a 1hr recording of NCC-1701D's warp engines at cruise speed. Perfect ambiance.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Symptoms of serious addiction

Symptoms of addiction Orbiter, by Dr. Sigmund Freud:

-when you write in this post
-when you nod your head, the most of the symptoms described in the post
-when you thank a aperiodic traveller for creating the CTRL + Z for Orbiter:thumbup:
-when in real life the time passes slowly and you search the T button in a mental keyboard (me a couple of times has occurred)
-when coincidentally, when your name starts with the same initial letters like the Orbiter founder (MS):hmm:
-when you do not explain why not NASA builds a DG IV or XR2 Ravenstar
-when you think of religion, remember the Probe:hailprobe:
-when you get up praise the probe
-when you think the USSR has created the probe, and the probe created the universe
-when you create an account in a forum of Orbiter in Spanish in addition to the traditional Orbiter forum:coffee:
-when you see videos of Orbiter and believe they are cinematics productions
-when you want to buy a super computer Cray overpriced, just to install Orbiter
-when you download the first version of Orbiter (a relic) and you get excited to see that the primitive Delta Glider was actually a XR5
-when thinking about space companies like SpaceX not name it, but speak about Spacetech Corp, Rings Corp, Altea Aerospace
-when you designed a ship in SketchUp but you can not convert it to Orbiter MSH, and throw yourself to mourn inconsolably:cry:
-when you laments there is not a version of Orbiter for UNIX systems
-when you accelerate your car trying to take off, and the onboard computer to tell you "Wheels Up":cool:
-when you think with your car you can go through another (thinking there is no collision detection) and you hit a truck and die:goodnight:
-when you die by the above cause, you want to return to the Orbiter Launchpad and restart the scenario:facepalm:
-when you think that the laws of the universe are the sacred source code of Orbiter
-when you think that Orbiter it's a parallel universe (like the movie Source Code) and that at any time a DeltaGlider may appear on your home:huh:

If you have all these symptoms (like me), or just one of them, you definitely maybe start a therapy of 20 years with a psychiatrist.
uwl2gmdlbpe54y76g.jpg

vchamp

Reaction score
You are addicted to Orbiter if:
1) you create a 3d app for Android to enjoy familiar views where possible at any time

2) you read orbiter-forum.com each day for several years even though you don't post anything

Qapla

Reaction score
When you learn how to use transX and succeed.
When you go to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee and pretend the kettle is a deltaglider docking with ISS.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When you're watching the Doctor Who episode "The Waters of Mars" and you recognize the unmistakable sound of Orbiter's proximity radar.

Last edited:

Piper

Orbiting Space Addict
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
When you learn you are going to lose your mobile patroller position at your job due to cutbacks and are going to be stuck sitting behind a desk, and the first thing you think of is "Well, at least I'll have time to catch up on all those Orbiter addons I've been wanting to work on."

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
When you happen to look at the moon more than you ever did before.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
you seriously want to build a lunar module treehouse in your backyard, then your realize that the lunar module is half the size of the barn. However, this only further motivates you, because that is so cool, and now you only want to build it even more, no matter the cost

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This is for our Italian-speaking members...

You're listening to Cesare Cremonini's "Logico #1" and at the words "Tracciare un’orbita nell’atmosfera" (tracing an orbit through the atmosphere) your mind conjures up two MFDs and starts making up all sorts of trajectories for (but not limited to): aerobraking, skip re-entry, plane change and whatever.

And then you sit down and try them. ALL of them.

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I thought I would kick off this M6 classic up here.

• You make a scale size DG out of LEGO (guilty as charged)
    [*]you press T on the computer when impatient

.....guilty.....guilty as charged...DUDE, seriously, LIFE should have a "T" button -_-

---------- Post added at 04:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

When you download a time calculator and MJD date converter for your phone