You know you're addicted to Orbiter when...

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I tried to undock our Corsica before pulling out of my parking-space on campus Friday.

This is a first for me.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I have often confused FSX with Orbiter.
  • pressing T to make things go faster
  • holding down the right mouse button to scroll
  • pressing K to open the main exit
  • pressing J with my new B-52 with dummy X-15
I think Orbiter may be starting to have an effect on my brain:crazy:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
When the teacher calls roll attendance you when She calls your name you say "Roger"
When the only thing you talk about in class is your Delta V speed on your trip to Jupiter
When you start your car you say "Go for Auto Sequence start."
When you cry when Orbiter crashes.
When you mistake FSX for orbiter and click T to increase time warp (Guilty)

Chipstone306

Reaction score
I am also guilty of

trying to hit the T button to make my ambulance go faster
looking for the mdf on my onboard computer
watching missions on nasa tv and yelling THATS NOT HOW YOU DO IT!

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
watching missions on nasa tv and yelling THATS NOT HOW YOU DO IT!
Oh yea, big time guilty there :p Maybe NASA should start using Orbiter...

...when you forget that flight sim planes need lift and arbitrarily pitch up the nose to 90 degrees in a Boeing 737!
...when you plan to learn C++ just to make Orbiter addons
...when you have more programs in your TI-83+ for Orbiter than for anything else

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...when you forget that flight sim planes need lift and arbitrarily pitch up the nose to 90 degrees in a Boeing 737!
I've tried using YS Flight Simulation System 2000's Concorde to get into orbit, but I forgot 2 things: 1. The concorde has air breathing engines

2. YSFlight doesn't model orbital flight!

Dark_Fox

Reaction score
You know you are addicted to orbiter when....

you happenstance across this thread and nod "guilty" to more then one of the statements (guilty, on all but the legos and driving ones)

you orbiter install takes up more room than windows, filled mostly with spacecraft.dll ships you've made and used once (GUILTY as charged, on my old win 98 pc)

you send an official letter to NASA proposing they replace the shuttle with the delta glider

you try to use CVEL to hook you luggage on the roof of your car

you actually try to fly formations with yourself (guilty)

you run through an entire MARS DIRECT mission without getting out of your chair

you get panicked when damaging your DGIV's nose cone (guilty)

worse you try and find a way to fix it

you hand make NYC as a surface base

you do orbital calcs in your head faster then NASA folks do (NOT guilty, i can't even do a rendevous with the ISS, without getting lost :()

You make a flying Shoe (guilty)

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Here are a few I am guilty of:

Hitting the "T" key during bootup (about a minute with my lenovo)
On the on ramp to the high way, accelerating to 65 (or 80 :lol:) as fast as I can without power-skidding, and letting go of the gas petal at 65, feeling that "head over heels feeling" and calling out "MECO, Houston"

Watching the spedometer for more than 3 seconds during an acceleration to try and determine the g-load, and almost hitting another car (I promise I will be more careful in the future).

Banging my head against the wall behind me in English class to feel heavy g-load on my brain for a split second (OK, my english class is REALLY boring)

Striking up space shuttle conversations with my Calculus and Physics teachers.

Hearing the words "Talyor Polynomial translations" come out of my calculus teacher's mouth and thinking "beep, rotation."

Buying a $60 dollar throttle quadrant from saitek to have main, hover, and retro throttles (pretty good buy, though).

Attempting to learn C++ just to make orbiter addons (Sad attempt, really).

Going fast in reverse, and then slamming on the brakes to feel some eyeballs in G's (in my driveway, of course :p)

Attempting to create orbiter for the TI-83 plus (again, sad attempt)

On Golaith (roller coaster), pretending I am holding I joystick and flying a DGIV.

Last edited:

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yes, actually. The only problem I have is during the very beginning of each scenario. When I slide a throttle forward, sometimes it "recognizes" other axes being slid. For example, sometimes, when I slide the main engine forward at the start of a scenario, the hover thrusters go on full. A very easy fix is to slide all three levers to about 10%, and then back to 0 %. This fix works every time, and you dont have to worry about anything anymore (until you load another scenario). This phenomenon is completely random, but not a big deal. Also, when you load multiple scenarios without closing the launchpad, the effect happens almost 0% of the time. It's usually the first scenario you load in a session. I use fly by wire MFD (available at orbithangar) to configure it. The handles at the top of each throttle are interchangable, and it comes with several varieties. Personally, I use the long, black handle for Main, the blue for hover, and the red for retro. It has 6 buttons to, and I use Joy to Key and configure those buttons for the six navmodes. Definitely recommend.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
... When instead of going to the appropiate website to get your traveling schedule for bus and train, you open orbiter and fiddle with transx wondering why there isn't your destination in the list.

... When you try to aerobrake your bicycle around the corner (yup, that one hurt), edit: actualy the aerobrake worked, but the office buildings gravity wasn't enough...

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
...when your at school you press t

I am at school now, and ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt... :lol:

...its not working...

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm at home sick, but unfortunately, I am getting better.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :lol:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
When you jump up and down continuesly to simulate a brief second of zero G (It's 0.5 seconds of pure enjoyment)

V8Li

Reaction score
For the first time in my life I've watched the night sky and saw the ecliptic by drawing a line from the visible planets. Having the Polaris too I knew my "heading", thanks to Orbitersim and the long, boring flights to the Moon :)