Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcvs101

Rock'n Roll'naut
Reaction score
This is looking to be one of the best (if not the best) ship around orbiter... great work!

Edit:
Why not adding a kind of "seat belt sign" like the one in the DGIV (so that passengers and pilot wear spacesuits when needed), it might be useful for controlling emergencies (like loss of atmospheric pressure)

Sorry for my poor english but i think that i have explained the point.

Last edited:

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
This looks just amazing! But i guess it will not looking so in orbiter, its the grafic/render engine of the development programm that makes it looking so realistic/awesome.
But ofcourse this ship would be a big win for DG-fans, in every case.
So hurry up Coolhand, you have cool hands! Maybe he wants us to surprise to christmas with it ?????

But I think im more dreaming.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
at this point in the "Devving" do you guys know all the featuers that youre gonna put into the MK2? aside from those in the MK1 what have you added to the recipie (and you dont need to mention the achingly beautiful models)
i think there have been some good suggestions on this thread, and i genuinely believe this is gonna be the best ship that orbiter has seen yet

good luck guys :D
-=Grover=-

jmiller

Reaction score
A pleasure to fly currently... An anxiety attack looking forward to the the Mk2 :)
I know I will be screaming like a little girl the moment I find its available!

Any plans on what you might work on afterwords?

I had attempted to design a larger non-atmospheric vessel capable of pushing to the outer planets using some kind of ion-drive tech, with a vessel like the Ravenstar in dock/tow (to basically be used as a small planetary shuttle craft). But, real life woes always precede. Anyone know of a current ship possibly constructed like this?

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
A pleasure to fly currently... An anxiety attack looking forward to the the Mk2 :)
I know I will be screaming like a little girl the moment I find its available!

Any plans on what you might work on afterwords?

I had attempted to design a larger non-atmospheric vessel capable of pushing to the outer planets using some kind of ion-drive tech, with a vessel like the Ravenstar in dock/tow (to basically be used as a small planetary shuttle craft). But, real life woes always precede. Anyone know of a current ship possibly constructed like this?

What I do now is to hook up an XR2 to the TX. I am also experimenting if I can jury rig a JATO system to the XR2 and 5 to reduce fuel usage during the initial climb to scram altitude.

Next week on multiplayer we're going to see if we can use an Arrow freighter as a "capital ship" for interplanetary ops :) UGCO's Arrow does have a docking bay perfectly suited for DGs and the two small XRs.

jmiller

Reaction score
What I do now is to hook up an XR2 to the TX. I am also experimenting if I can jury rig a JATO system to the XR2 and 5 to reduce fuel usage during the initial climb to scram altitude.

Next week on multiplayer we're going to see if we can use an Arrow freighter as a "capital ship" for interplanetary ops :) UGCO's Arrow does have a docking bay perfectly suited for DGs and the two small XRs.

The arrow huh? Thanks! I will proceed to seek and download :)

White Wolf

Reaction score
yeah, this thread has been more than a little silent. but that could actually be a good thing.

@Carmen A: what multiplayer are you using? i cant get any of them to work.

EDIT: Facepalm! it's in your sig.

Last edited:

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
yeah, this thread has been more than a little silent. but that could actually be a good thing.

@Carmen A: what multiplayer are you using? i cant get any of them to work.

EDIT: Facepalm! it's in your sig.

Wolf, this is the OMP for 2010P1.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19901

The UDP port might take some fiddling with but once that's done it runs very smoothly. Do contact Face, Delta or the regular players if you need help connecting.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Did someone say you could add furry dice in the XR2 in the cfg file :D

XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg:

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Enable or disable the fuzzy dice in the VC 
#
#   0 = fuzzy dice disabled  (default)
#   1 = fuzzy dice enabled
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EnableFuzzyDice=0

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
OMG

does this mean i should stick UGCO into my OMP install.

ontopic: thank you very much coolhand, you've ruined any chance of me getting a good nights sleep waiting for this thing, i've just sat here for several hours reading the entire of the last 60-odd pages of XR2MK2 dev pics. Words cannot describe how much I want to get my hands on this ship.

on a related note, any estimates on the cost of building a working, full size XR2?

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
UGCO does work well in multiplayer because it's an "all in one" package. Besides you can drive cars and pose them with your ships.

The Arrow needs some editing if you want to operate it in atmosphere (hover thrust, specifically).

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Universal Cargo is a great addon pack as it's very well polished. The download link is here:

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/index.php?disp=d

Oh, anyone heard from the XR2 Mk2 team? This thread seems a little... silent :D

urrr nope, there's no team on the XR series, it's just doug, the coder, and a modeler, which in XR2 case is Coolhand, our TS here.

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
In which case, totally awesome job, as the XR2 looks more like a commercially packaged product than a DIY spaceship :) ... and that can be said of the MK1 without active VC.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
which just stand as the testament to Doug's ingenuity isn't it? ;) and of course coolhand's model is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen, with the only other that for me, is on par, is the Delphinus of ACIII

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Not only the model looks good but the XR2 flies incredibly well too.

The ability to maintain high AoA flight is very useful not just for flying like a Su35 at an airshow, but it can be used to do some crazy aerobraking maneuvers during re-entry as well.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Ok people exciting XR2 news.... The XR2 received a third place for its WIP thread on SCIFI meshes, "Meshies Awards" (best of 2010)

behind a, err, half finished, unpainted Millennium Falcon and a somewhat more interesting WIP that's been running for even longer than even this particular immense thread.... I'll be honest I really didn't expect any of them other than the one which got first place to end up in the top 3.:)

If I only I'd bothered to rig the entries and votes eh?

Anyway, my thanks to anyone who voted for the XR2 over there, I didn't mention it in here, or to anyone from here or anywhere else, content to quietly observe as I find myself doing more and more often these days.

I didn't want to cause an influx of Orbiter forum-eers or anyone else over there to influence things.

Since its really such a Star Trek / Star Wars oriented site, and has little to do with real time models, people tend to be modelled detail junkies over there.

So this was actually quite an achievement for a video game model and I hope testament to its appealing design that i've worked really hard on, which has a lot to do with Doug for inspiring me with his coding and vision with the XR's, orbiter forum members and the orbiter specific designs which preceded it... This model would not have existed at all, but for the likes of the delta gliders and the XR1 mod, Orbiter itself and the community.

Did i just make an award speech? And to think I didn't even really win anything.... Still it was worth a mention, nice to feel slightly special, 3rd special at least. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.