Bug XR series hover autopilot causes vessel to immediately reach escape velocity

Matrix Aran

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but I've managed to reproduce this on both the XR2 and XR5 on a clean install. It first cropped up while I was talking with a friend and half fooling around with an XR5 on the runway while I tried to not really listen to him. The steps to reproduce it are rather simple.

Load up any earth based scenario, I've tried one at wide awake, but the ready for takeoff to ISS will also easily do it.

Open hover doors

Apply full hover thrust, full main engines.

Accelerate down the runway, wait for the rotate callout and pull up as you would on a normal takeoff.

Cut off the main engine throttle so as not to snap the landing gear or hover doors. You should be 1000 or so feet of the ground by now and in stable enough flight for the next thirty seconds or so.

Switch on the decent hold autopilot with the default settings.

While still active switch the hover autopilot to auto-land. You will now be somewhere in lost in space, definitely not in any orbit though.

This bug can only be reproduced on earth, and I suspect only occurs in a situation where there's insufficient hover thrust for the planet the craft is currently on or above.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Its your install. I do hover stops like that on earth all the time after warping in with RWarpMFD. You just have to make sure to empty the scrams so you aren't too heavy.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
This bug can only be reproduced on earth, and I suspect only occurs in a situation where there's insufficient hover thrust for the planet the craft is currently on or above.

Yes, you are too heavy and this is a known orbiter issue where a bounce will fling you out into interstellar space.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I get the same, but I see no bounce. The ship get send into space from way above earth surface. I also get a CTD with D3D9. As the same CTD with orbiter with D7. But to actually get send into space I have to switch between external view and virtual cockpit. Then I press autoland. Well, is it's a known Orbiter bug, was it fixed in the beta?

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've reproduced the bug here -- good catch. I'll see if I fix it for the next patch release.

EDIT:
OK, this is now fixed. I'll see if I can get an XR patch release out within the next few days -- it's about time for one anyway. :)

EDIT #2:
This fix is included in the new XR patch releases; details here.

Last edited:

Matrix Aran

Reaction score
I'm glad you managed to reproduce it, I'm sorry if I forgot to mention the camera shift between external and cockpit. I had thought I'd tested a run where I stayed exclusively in cockpit but obviously I flipped impulsively somewhere in ever run.