General Question XR-1 Re-entery?

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Hi, im trying to re-enter the XR-1.
its looking good, (at pitch 50) and then, the airframe overheats and i get a left/right wing breach.
im level, im not banking, why is this happening?
(V/S= -500 M/S)
:beathead:

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
(V/S= -500 M/S)
That's too much. Try a different re-entry angle. When orbiting fire the retro engines a bit before and for less time so you won't go straight deep into the atmosphere but you will do a smoother and longer descent.

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Thanks

Ok, thanks ill try that later.
:cheers:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
See my last thread entitled: "XR2 reentry request" linked in my signature!!! There are great suggestions. These suggestions also work well with the XR1,++++++++++ I've tried them.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, a vertical speed of -500 m/s is waaaaaaaaaay to much. When landing from an Earth orbit, lower your PeA to about the surface of the Earth (PeA 0). Also, try a lower pitch, like 40 deg.

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Also, a vertical speed of -500 m/s is waaaaaaaaaay to much. When landing from an Earth orbit, lower your PeA to about the surface of the Earth (PeA 0). Also, try a lower pitch, like 40 deg.

It only says PET i dont see PeA?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The optimal reentry angle is -1.25° in 120 km altitude for DeltaGlider class vehicles - this means just -170 m/s V/S in 120 km altitude. Also 50° AOA is a bit high, you have more lift at 40°, 50° AOA is used if you want to fly like a barn door - no useful lift, lots of drag.

Keep wings level until vertical speed reaches zero for the first time, then aim for about -50 V/S or better -16 m/s² ACC affording to Surface MFD. The acceleration is a better factor to pilot to, since it is directly related to dynamic pressure and heating.

theshhh

2 year orbiter player
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. not with aerobrake mfd and basesync mfd i can get a good re-enter any time.
:cheers:
(now, to actually LAND at the base :lol: )

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
(now, to actually LAND at the base :lol: )
To save you some days of failed attempts, don't try to directrly land on the landing strip, especially if you notice that your altitude is still high and the runway is very close, but do this instead:
schema-atterrissage-grand.jpg