X³: REUNION

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Hello :) who on this forum plays X3 The Reunion ?
And if you do play it what mod's do you use?

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used to play it, but I got bored easily with its lack of realism and inability ever to go planetside. I used all the addons I could get my hands on, but since most of them were cheats, it soon got boring. There's one kind of universal cheat (I don't remember the name) which you could use to create anything. That was kind of cool for experimenting.

Much prefer Orbiter - it feels real.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
i only play x3 because it has combat in it Using the iron disrupters is fun It destroys the target ship's shields

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm too old for shoot-em-ups. Frankly I always tried to avoid combat in X3 and similar.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
you can Go planet side in X3 there is a mod but I forgot the name

Belisarius

Addon Developer
Reaction score
In Frontier I seem to remember launching from a planet into space, but I can't ever remember landing on a planet, though I might have.

In Freelancer they had the cheesiest thing possible, a kind of tunnel in orbit that took you down to the spaceport. Obviously an excuse not to put some kind of credible reentry.

In X3 they solved the problem by never letting you go near a planet.

All rubbish, really. Those are the only ones I know, and my memory of Frontier is fading fast as you can see.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
But the fact is no thing is better then orbiter :)
( Apart From one of nasa's vertical motion simulators :) ! )

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?

bujin

Reaction score
I'm too old for shoot-em-ups. Frankly I always tried to avoid combat in X3 and similar.

Aye, I'm like that too. I'm more of an explorer than a fighter.

I spent most of my time in Frontier building up the funds so I could go explore further into the galaxy!

Can't wait for Elite 4! If it ever gets finished, that is...

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have tried only X2. Space looks like some colored greasy mess and ships consitently move in it they are floating in that mess and submerged planets are scary giant boulders, and some weird bubles and dirt float by when ship speeds up. Standar space shooter environment :)
What was special is it's comfortable economic simulation. It was very visual, easy to grasp and fun. More of like First-person settlers. Shootouts were fun too. Great game all in all.

Oh and it is also about space which is great, too :) Only few top games care about space now.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have X2, X3 wouldn't run on my machine anyways, and apart from Graphics I guess it's pretty much the same.

What should I say... They did a nice job at offering you all the oportunities you could wish for, except one: feeling like being in space. After a few days I fealt like flying from shelf to shelf in an interstellar Walmart. I never saw a spacegame with less space feeling. It's actually that what made me find Orbiter (I went looking for something real).

When it comes to freeform Spacegames, Frontiers just is the only thing that can give you a mild feeling of "space". All frontiers lacked was control. It got boring because you didn't have enough control over the ship for not using the autopilot, and using the autopilot it was just getting from place to place at max timeacceleration.

I still fire up FrontierGL every now and then none the less... nothing's quite like watching your ship lift from the planet at 20 Gs.

TheMinister

Reaction score
I really never got to grips with that game, or X2. I just found the tutorials completely unitelligable- it was sort of like... "here's how you fly your ship, now make some burgers"

Just plain WTF there. I kinda prefer complex games with simple control systems, like EVE online, or maybe the Freelancer interface (but not economy).

Master of Blades

Reaction score
EVE Online is pirdy much THE sheit (in a good kind of way), playing it currently, enjoying it (even though the servers are down... stupid expansion). It's pretty much an MMO for those of us who do not possess the lack of brains/intelligence of a 10-year old, required to play other (read WoW) Mumorpugers. It has a nice economics system and a political scene that scares the crap out of me (yes, in-game politics).