World of 2001

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Ok thanks Sputnik, i cant await to enter the cockpit of an Orion2/3
for seeing a level 11-14 earth in orbiter 2010 :):):):):):):)!!!

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@sputnik
Whats up with Orion and Titov? U sayed it works fine now. Now its 2 weeks later and the Orbiter world awaits your ships!
Plz give me/us a private-link from a FTP or another server if u dont like to release this at orbithangar, before the complet new 2001 Update.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I've had almost no time to work on it. Real life has intruded, I'm afraid. Will get on it when I can.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
No worries. One of the best realized worlds in Orbiter. We'll wait

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Sorry for the slight bump but I just want to say that I'm glad that you are trying to get 2010 compatibility. I loved this add-on when I first played Orbiter 2 or 3 years ago then I discovered that it doesn't work in 2010. :( I can't wait (but I have too :lol: ) for the update.

Darren

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm with you. Wo2001 is by far my favorite mega-mod. It's the one reason that I havn't taken my copy of Orbiter 2006 off my computer.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
I have not mutch hope, that we will see an update this year. Sorry. Then Wo2001 doesnt work since the first 2007 Beta, which uses same basics like Orbiter 2010, normally enough time for updating it. But now 3 years later nothing is happend.

And the technology has changed too, there are far more efficient scramjet-flyer for reaching LEO and plasma-engines for space travel. Wo2001 uses technoloy from 1960s, with H2/LOX for LEO and nuclear engines for space. If you really update Wo2001 any time you should pay tribute to the new technology and insert some ships with it. Stanley Kubrik would do it. Else i use the TX5 with VC,the XRs and the Bekuo-Vasimr again. Sorry, but im a little bit angry, dont make people hope if u say that u have succesfully converted some ships, without giving us some Beta-updates of it and dont give release dates like "End of 2010" if real life has intruded u.

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
I have not mutch hope, that we will see an update this year. Sorry.
And the technology has changed too, there are far more efficient scramjet-flyer for reaching LEO and plasma-engines for space travel. Space 2001 uses technoloy from 1960s, with H2/LOX and nuclear engines. If you really update 2001 any time you should pay tribute to the new technology and insert some ships with it. Stanley Kubrik would do it.

The technology might be outdated, but I love Wo2001 because it has the only interplanetary ships I'm aware of that are designed to be spun for artificial gravity instead of having a separate spinning section. Plus, docking with the Station V is just pure win.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Sorry, but im a little bit angry, dont make people hope if u say that u have succesfully converted some ships, without giving us some Beta-updates of it and dont give release dates like "End of 2010" if real life has intruded u.

What an extraordinary comment. You're aware this is freeware, right?

We will get to it eventually, and if you liked 3.1 you'll be sure to enjoy the next iteration.

That is honestly all I can say about it from the team's position. Just personally I can say I have two add-ons to knock over before I begin work on my part of Wo2k1, and one of these is very near to completion (as shown in the dev forum). So have patience and you'll get a result! :)

Last edited:

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@80mileshigh
Oh yes, im sorry for my little bit hard comment. And ofcourse, its freeware. But realize that ten thousands of Orbinauts wait at you and the new Wo2K1!!! And in my case, its just because im sick without Wo2K1 :(.

Playing it in Orbiter 2006 is no longer an option for me, since the new Orbiter has so many nice improvments and features. The Level 8-10 Planets was nice in year 2006, but nothing for 2010. So the old one gives me no destinations for my missions, im scared about the pixely earth there.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Hold on there, Bits of 2001 work fine in Orbiter 2010. If you want to use it all then se Orbiter 2006. If you can't do without the improvements in 2010 then you can't use all of World of 2001. Thats' all there is to it.

The amount of work to fix World of 2001 might be more than the authours want to do, that is their choice.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
@garyw
The most of Wo2K1 does NOT work in 2010, incomplet bases and invisible ships without drives, Ok who like it ... And I can't do without the 2010-Improvements, i go no step backward! So i have to use compatible other ships for my missions and there are alot now!

@Wo2K1-Team
But on the other side, I dont want to miss VC's anymore, in Wo2K1 they all have none or only rudimentary VC's. Ofcourse is Wo2K1 a nice addon, but it lives from the background story from the movie/book and to have all these vessels complet with only one install.
Its a kind of parallel universe, with the frozen spirit of the 1960's.
The most people do fear the installation spends for a working interplanetary travel system.
But if you looking around today for even ships, you will find for all your needings/cases same or better ones, with working VC's, based on actual/near term technologys and some other improvements. Ofcourse its near impossible to do that in Wo2K1 too, its alot of hard work, to mutch. So for me now, it doesnt matter if we dont see the update for orbiter 2010, when real life has intruded you. Set prioritys, live your lifes or release the update when you have time for it. But when you release it, do it with a big ban, with more than only a pure 2010-compatibility-fix!!

Last edited:

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did I see an update to World of Colliers? Could there be an update to World of 2001 v3.1 in the offing????:yes:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I've been working through the issues one by one, but Wo2k1 has had a LOT of issues. As of right now, the stations' special docking code is all messed up. That's the big one still outstanding. I make no promises; could be soon, could be quite a while. Stomping bugs knows no schedule.

BenSisko

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Its great just to know you're working on WO 2001. I love this add on and the rich environment you've created. Take your time, I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

Thanks!

RAF92_Moser

Reaction score
BUG REPORT: CTD "Quick! Catch! Docked.scn"

Scenario CTD upon launch.

Removing line:

DOCKINFO 0:0,Pavonis Clipper

Code:
Komarov:2001/Komarov-bis
  STATUS Orbiting Sun
  RPOS -194795375134.57 8086428233.04 155678375674.27
  RVEL -27885.592 1218.819 -6650.648
  AROT 44.51 84.04 167.71
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.647
  DOCKINFO 0:0,Pavonis Clipper
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  XPDR 0
  GEAR 1 1.0000
  DOORS 3 0.0000
  ENGINEDOORS 1 1.0000
  HAB 1 1.0000
  MALF 2
END
Seems to fix the problem for now.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Hey Sputnik.

Just wanted to share a tale of the flight I had this morning.

I wanted to mess around with quick transfers using IMFD so I loaded a scenario with the Endeavour and soon had a plan for a short hop to mars. I had not used Wo2001 in a long while so I had forgotten just how LONG these burns take.

Arriving at Mars I wanted to try something else so after a long burn into a very high Ecc orbit. I decided to mess with aerobraking into Orbit. I know this is pointless considering the High Isp and fuel I had available. Yet it was fun controlling it for the twenty or so orbits it took.

Next I decided as I was near the plane. I would land on Phobos Base. This was actually easier than I thought due to the thrust of the RCS being just right to make a very nice controlled decent. Landed right on the wires. And fueled.

Returned the earth the same way. Except by accident I started an EVA. I was about to go back in but decided to tour the outside of my ship. I know it is just physics but there is something just amazing about doing an EVA knowing you are going at such amazing speed towards earth. Yet watching the ship slowly drift by.

After burning back into Earth (IMFD went nuts at this point so I had to mostly use OrbitMFD and aiming. I had enough fuel to do an off plane transfer to Station V. However it seems I suck at docking with rotating stations. No matter how many times I tried. I could not line it up without risking a collision. So I "cheated" and used scn edit (Sorry :hailprobe: )

I was about to quit and call it a day when I noticed the Orion docked. I decided as I was in position that I would do reentry and landing. This proved to be tricky as aerobrake did not yet have the profile for Orion. I decided to set the final point far into the Atlantic and do a phased drop of AoA to minimize bounce. However I soon noticed how far off it was as I had eaten all that extra reserve by about 55K. To compensate I floated at about 50k for a while. The best I could make was the west coast of FL so I went to activate the engines when I noticed for some reason the Jet engine fuel was empty (I know I did not activate them on accident so I "fueled" with Scn edit)

Flying over the cape. I deactivated the engines and flew into heading alignment. This is where things got really smooth as with only Trim management I glided down to a picture perfect landing. One of my best Orbiter experiences yet!

Thanks! :tiphat: