OHM World of 2001 v3.11

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I have a 10-key number keyboard. That having been prefaced, pressing the asterisk (*) key idles the main engine thrust for me.

I tried the "*" key on the numpad to idle the engines. The engines jump right back up to max after the press. Holding "*" down will stop them like the minus thrust key, but that isn't much of a solution. I think this is a autopilot acting badly and not a idiot user fumbling the controls. That said, could someone try the scenario I mentioned, "Aeroflot booster on final approach"? See if the autopilot starts immediately, and if you could kill the engines by pressing "O"? I'd like to see if I am fumbling something somewhere, and if someone more competent than me has the same problem; well, at least user error is out.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I tried the "*" key on the numpad to idle the engines. The engines jump right back up to max after the press. Holding "*" down will stop them like the minus thrust key, but that isn't much of a solution. I think this is a autopilot acting badly and not a idiot user fumbling the controls. That said, could someone try the scenario I mentioned, "Aeroflot booster on final approach"? See if the autopilot starts immediately, and if you could kill the engines by pressing "O"? I'd like to see if I am fumbling something somewhere, and if someone more competent than me has the same problem; well, at least user error is out.

Ahh. :p Where my head was at, at the time, was assuming (read: interpreting) the autopilot had properly cleared the controls back to the user.

In which case, I'm even more over my head than I thought I was. :blush:

Thanks for your patience; it's the thought that counts, right?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I tried seeing if I could live with the problems I described above. Since the autopilots only effect Titov Vs with boosters or droptanks attached, and the boosters themselves, I think I can live with it. While I can't leave the boosters around after landing them, and can't save during ascent, it's not bad enough to make me stop using them. While they won't be making the Wednesday night run to Station V anymore, they are going to help make me a Moon ship. Or a space station, haven't figured out which yet.

While this autopilot problem annoys me, I have to give my thanks to to the authors and contributors of World of 2001. While I've been more interested in prying out the Titovs for my own use and haven't spent much time immersing myself in the rest of the Wo2001, I have looked at the scope of this addon and been wowed. Plus, not that it is really that flattering, but I am taking the Titovs out to work in my general Orbiteering install. I have a lot thank you people for, and so many to thank too.:tiphat:

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of an odd issue. When I bring Space Station V into a scenario via scenario editor.. the station renders fine and looks great.. but..
.. it doesn't show up on the vessel list in the simulator and thus you can't select it as a ship or see it to dock with it.
Anyone else have this issue? The other ships seem to come over fine.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Browsing through the manual reveals that Station V is not focus-enabled by intention. You can change that though. Go into your Config\Vessels\2001 folder and find the config files for the various Station Vs. There is a line in the configs that should say "EnableFocus = FALSE" Change FALSE to TRUE and save it. Now you have a focus enabled Station V.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
If (big IF) I do some VCs or interiors for the different vessels, would someone code them into the current add-on? I have some references so it's doable. It will be quantity over quality but enjoyable I think....
Nevertheless, the pilot position is not logical on some vessels, with regard to the displays. Some changes would be needed.
4247021054_bf9f71e180_z.jpg

I can add the VCs myself but only for sc3 vessels.

Any thoughts? Is it worth considering?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If (big IF) I do some VCs or interiors for the different vessels, would someone code them into the current add-on? I have some references so it's doable. It will be quantity over quality but enjoyable I think....
I can add the VCs myself but only for sc3 vessels.

Any thoughts?

Same big IF here, but I already attempted modelling VC meshes for them and would love to add VCs to the vessels and (space) stations. But I want to focus on SSU in the next months.

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
Browsing through the manual reveals that Station V is not focus-enabled by intention. You can change that though. Go into your Config\Vessels\2001 folder and find the config files for the various Station Vs. There is a line in the configs that should say "EnableFocus = FALSE" Change FALSE to TRUE and save it. Now you have a focus enabled Station V.

Outstanding. Thanks! Odd that they didn't enable that. How are you supposed to dock with it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Outstanding. Thanks! Odd that they didn't enable that. How are you supposed to dock with it?

Careful. ;)

I usually do it like that: align with rotation axis and wait for spinning up until the very last moment. It isn't that hard actually, but the rotation in the final approach means you can't reach quickly to errors in rotation, you can only translate your vessel effectively.

It is possible to use the precession of many vessels to slowly change your rotation axis, but I would not recommend this without autopilot... it is slow and pretty hard without stars to use as reference.

Last edited:

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
So you do this visually? Without docking MFD?

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Same big IF here, but I already attempted modelling VC meshes for them and would love to add VCs to the vessels and (space) stations. But I want to focus on SSU in the next months.

I would love to somehow put the Arrow VC and functionality into other vessles.. discovery perhaps.

I like the Arrow.. but it just didn't seem like the overall design would be something they would design. The wings.. seem to serve no purpose except perhaps for communications pods.. and I would think the attachments for cargo would be on the bottom so they could be dropped.. rather on the top.

That said.. the Arrow is probably one of the best addon vessels out there. I love the look of the VC and the functionality. It wouldn't take much work to tweak it into something we might actually expect to see.

So I do like your idea of a simple hack for bringing in VC's from other vessels to increase the cool factor of well meshed vessels without a VC.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So you do this visually? Without docking MFD?

No, with Docking MFD, but I use stars as reference when I change my rotation axis in a spinning vessel.

I would love to somehow put the Arrow VC and functionality into other vessles.. discovery perhaps.

I would be strongly against it... it simply doesn't fit into the universe of 2001. I would prefer the VCs to be like people thought of our time in the 1960s. Which would be in some aspects less advanced as we are today, in some cases a bit ahead of what we are today.

The cockpit design of the Aries vehicle does not look that realistic, but if you assume a third crew member sitting between the two visible pilots, it would work out to be at least logical within the context.

What I wanted to see in the cockpits is also:

• Some kind of HAL precursor in the cockpits of the western vehicles.
  • A more Russian look of the cockpits of the eastern vehicles, maybe inspired by the advanced technology seen first in the N1-program spacecraft and later applied on the space stations and the TMA spacecraft.

Pale Hearse

Reaction score

No, with Docking MFD, but I use stars as reference when I change my rotation axis in a spinning vessel.

How did you get the station V docking port to come up? When I pull up the list, it does not show as a vessel I can target.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How did you get the station V docking port to come up? When I pull up the list, it does not show as a vessel I can target.

Did you use the CTRL+I dialog?

Pale Hearse

Reaction score
Did you use the CTRL+I dialog?

That worked. It seems what's going on is that the station actually renumbers the port you are docked to in a similar fashion to the way that Scenario editor does and simply moves your ship to an adjacent dock.

I actually did an experiment and used a competent docking auto pilot to have a Ravenstar dock with port 3 instead of port 2. That worked great.. and it was quite cool to watch this from the outside.

Now.. my problem is that I am SERIOUSLY jonesing for an UMMU enabled station V!

I absolutely love the real world concept of this station.. and it's visually STUNNING to see and use once you get the hang of approach and the various auto pilots to assist your docking. I have also become VERY adept at docking with a rotating station fully manually.

Anyone working on a UMMU capable Station V?

Luke Reichelt

Reaction score
Just wondering, but has anyone ever considered creating repaints for the Orion III spaceplane? I mean, it shouldn't be too difficult, considering that the vessel is re-skinnable, much like the DGIV. By the way, here are some of my own ideas for some repaints:

Air Canada
KLM
Royal Canadian Air Force
Royal Australian Air Force
Varig
Alitalia

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Downloaded long ago and LOVING IT!!! Although cockpit needs work :) :) :)

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I am SERIOUSLY jonesing for an UMMU enabled station V!
Anyone working on a UMMU capable Station V?

ME TOO!!! Having no UMMU is rather lonely. And not just Station V; All bases.

And maybe UCGO??

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3509"]UMMUFA v.2.0[/ame]
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9825&highlight=ummufb

Dusting off some cobwebs here... I remember a project that would extend UMMU support to bases. Haven't tried it myself, but I think I might give it ago later tonight.
And UMMUFA of course, works with anything that has a docking port. But if it's too high off the ground, your MMU guy might die if he falls too far when landed.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The moonbus has a EVA guy. The Discovery and Leonov and pods were UCGO and UMMU. But that is other add on