Internet Windows 7 wifi problem

luki1997a

Reaction score
Hello:tiphat:
Like in title- I've a problem with wifi in windows 7:
I'm very often losing signal althought its desktop computer, and very often the signal strenght depends on quality of the internet connection(e.g. if somebody is downloading something on another computer connected to the same network the signal decerases). I haven't got this problem on Windows XP installed on the same computer. I've almost always have this network visible in XP but rare on 7.

Any suggestions?

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Well maybe the router or the adapter software isn't compatible with windows 7.Maybe it's only compatible with 2000/XP/Vista, so look in the manual that you got with the adapter,if you have one on the computer.

redneck

Reaction score
Depending on you make and model of router you could try new firmware. I have a linksys WRT54g router but I use this custom firmware. Caution!!! read read read the directions as this will make your router unusable if not done correctly
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index
I did this method and am very pleased how it unlocked the potential of my router

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
It's a driver issue for sure,
1. You may have the latest driver and need to roll-back to a previous version.
2. You may have a MS driver and need to swith to a vendor provided driver
3. You may need to use a third party, or built in "Compatable" driver (caution: in-stability possible)
4. You may need to replace the card you have with something different, not necessarily newer, just different.
5. If you're desktop is in range of a socket(300ft), go Cat 5e, it's far faster then any wireless system out there!

Bottom line, Wireless connections will always be flakey, because you are using the atmosphere for a wire. The only substitute for wire, is Fiber. IMHO.