Why Liberal Arts and Humanities are superior disciplines to technical fields

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
All natural sciences and technical fields do is develop tools. They're merely means to an end, not an end in themselves.

But the liberal arts and humanities ARE the end in themselves. The liberal arts and humanities deal with what it means to be a human being, what it means to live.. They're what really matter.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
And as such, everyone practicing them can come to the conclusion that the advancement of the technical fields is of the utmost importance.

I fail to see the point or goal behind your thread...

Ark

Reaction score
Right, we'd be so much better off if we all sat around the cave talking about life.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
The later has never built a civilization, cured polio, made penicillin, crossed oceans, or answered the really interesting questions.

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Well that's a pretty bold statement. I feel it requires thoughtful critique though.

I was an art major, and still am an artist (have been since I was little). I can say that going to art school to get an art degree is probably one of the most useless things you can do. About the only thing you can do with that degree is become an art teacher.

This is not to say that arts are useless; they are truly important parts of life, and yes they do help us explore what it means to be human. But the arts are largely self-serving, and are certainly not more valuable than technical fields. (I'm also a programmer.)

For example, when did the arts develop an artificial heart or a machine to breathe for a person, to keep them alive? When did the arts and humanities construct a nationwide transportation system, setting up the infrastructure for commerce and development? When did the arts cure diseases, provide systems to purify water, or put GPS satellites into orbit that help rescue crews save lost and injured people?

Saying that "all" the technical fields do is create tools really undervalues those tools. Without tools, what would we be? Picking berries for food? What about the tools such as paintbrushes and canvas, chisels and saws, and the many other tools used to create art? We'd still be smearing colored paste onto rocks if it wasn't for the people who create those things.

Engineers, developers, technicians, and manufacturers give us a world in which we have the time and the freedom to express ourselves. Even if that means that the tools are "just a means to an end" that doesn't make the people who develop those tools any less valuable. If anything, it makes them more valuable. They drive progress and industry. They drive commerce and innovation.

And if you've ever seen good code, well... that's an art in itself.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's an odd statement to make in a space flight forum.

I can only see two reasons for it.

1. Absolute failure in science and technical fields.
2. Trolling.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All natural sciences and technical fields do is develop tools. They're merely means to an end, not an end in themselves.

But the liberal arts and humanities ARE the end in themselves. The liberal arts and humanities deal with what it means to be a human being, what it means to live.. They're what really matter.
General education and philosophical babble with no practical means of contributing to society or entering a productive workforce. Except for teaching more philosophical babble to others, or writing a book for bored people in coffee shops to read.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Begin Trolling in 3...2...1..Now that I am studying engineering I learned that everything you see around you that is not natural owes its existence to engineers. The computer you are using to read this, the table it is sitting on, the box it came in, and the ink used to paint it all come from that thing that doesn't really mater. Trolling complete.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

2. Trolling.

IMO, option #2 seems to be more likely.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Would that really be difficult to believe? A third of this forum still believes global warming doesn't happen and we could probably find a few that think evolution of life did not and does not happen...

vonneuman said:
Begin Trolling in 3...2...1..Now that I am studying engineering I learned that everything you see around you that is not natural owes its existence to engineers. The computer you are using to read this, the table it is sitting on, the box it came in, and the ink used to paint it all come from that thing that doesn't really mater. Trolling complete.

Trolling? This is a fair point.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well, "Liberal Arts" covers quite a broad range, from Linguistics and Modern and Languages (my field of study), to Literary Criticism and Sociology. Even within the field of Liberal arts, some of the subjects are more "toolish" than others.

I do agree that alot of the subjects covered in Lib Arts are, at the end, more important than the ones in the "tool" fields, and that sometimes we overvalue what we've built with the tool fields, but the problem with Liberal Arts education is that many of the things it deals with are things better *lived* than studied.

Kurt M. Weber

Reaction score
Begin Trolling in 3...2...1..Now that I am studying engineering I learned that everything you see around you that is not natural owes its existence to engineers. The computer you are using to read this, the table it is sitting on, the box it came in, and the ink used to paint it all come from that thing that doesn't really mater.

Where did I say they didn't matter?

It's not that they "don't matter" or that they're "not important"; it's just that they're not good in and of themselves.

What use is a communications device, if you have no ideas to send back and forth across it? And if the only ideas you have to send back and forth are those relating to further improvements on communication devices, well, that seems a bit pointless, doesn't it?

That's not to say that ideas for improving communication are useless--only that improving communication simply for the sake of being able to develop further improvements in communication is a bit circular. Improvements to communication only acquire a value outside themselves if they're used to transmit ideas about living; about acquiring a better, more fulfilling life; about achieving the full potential of the human spirit and acquiring a fuller understanding of the human essence. That is the role of the humanities and the liberal arts; technical fields merely develop the tools that facilitate communicating such ideas. They're not useless, but they're also not an end in themselves--and to focus on them to the exclusion of the higher concepts that they must serve is, I believe, a grave and tragic error.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

2. Trolling.

Hardly the case, for either.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

For example, when did the arts develop an artificial heart or a machine to breathe for a person, to keep them alive?
What is the use of remaining alive, if the remainder of that life is empty and devoid of beauty, enjoyment, and fulfillment? This is exactly an example of how science and technology merely provide the means, while the study of the liberal arts and humanities provides the end.

ultimately When did the arts and humanities construct a nationwide transportation system, setting up the infrastructure for commerce and development? When did the arts cure diseases, provide systems to purify water, or put GPS satellites into orbit that help rescue crews save lost and injured people?

Essentially, the same point applies.

Without tools, what would we be? Picking berries for food? What about the tools such as paintbrushes and canvas, chisels and saws, and the many other tools used to create art? We'd still be smearing colored paste onto rocks if it wasn't for the people who create those things.
And again, that's just it--they're the tools. They're important, and quite useful--and I've never denied that--but they're not what really matter. In the end, it's human life (emphasis on the "human"--not just mere biological survival, but utilizing and appreciating the full extent of man's unique capacities) that matters.

What some people seem to not realize is that I'm far from a technical incompetent. I was initially majoring in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering at Purdue University, and performing excellently, when I had a late epiphany about what really mattered. I still enjoy computer programming and electronics design (especially radio and radio astronomy) as a hobby. But I realize where they must lie in the hierarchy--as merely a means to the proper end of moral and spiritual fulfillment that comes only from appreciation and understanding of art, of philosophy, of literature, of music, of history, of love, and of beauty--in other words, of REAL PEOPLE.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I've got a bachelors degree from the College of Liberal Arts (Political Science) but it would be silly to argue that my degree is somehow worth more than the degrees of physicists and doctors. All disciplines are important, and without the work of many hard-sciences we would know nearly nothing about the physical world that we exist in. How can we even understand the self if we can't understand why things happen the way they do?

I also take serious objection to the assessment that my degree is an end, instead of a mean. Learning is, by definition a mean, its what we do with the knowledge that is an end.