Question Why do pilots hold each other's hands to throttle up for takeoff?

Screamer7

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but is it not to prevent the pilot in a event of "commit to take off" situation, to actually try to throttle down again? This is especially true in the event of engine failure, where the pilots are tempting to abort the take off after the commit to take off situation occurred.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but is it not to prevent the pilot in a event of "commit to take off" situation, to actually try to throttle down again? This is especially true in the event of engine failure, where the pilots are tempting to abort the take off after the commit to take off situation occurred.

I would have thought it was the opposite scenario. After the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster"]Tenerife collision[/ame] it was considered important that any member of the flight crew could call abort take-off. Once V1 is reached no pilot should be thinking of aborting the take-off anyway.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
C3PO is correct, that is why at 'V1' the PF should move his hand FROM the throttle otherwise the automatic reaction in the event of a problem may well be to slam the throttles closed which could cause more of a disaster than committing to the take off.

In fact, there are two key speeds '80 knots' and 'v1'.

Most SOPs only allow for either pilot to abort take off below 80kts. Above 80 and below V1 its normally only a very serious problem that will abort the takeoff - engine fire, hydraulic issues, etc.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
But you could potentially save a life! :)

-RODION

Perhaps you don't understand me.
I could, but again, its owned by a university, and I only flew in it once and never will again. And by calling their aerospace department to suggest that addition would not do much. Even if it was added, you can only expect that pilots will do what they will with checklists. Not all are "By the Book" pilots.

FADEC

Reaction score
I actually had my 737th post in this thread :lol: Thanks to ky for pointing it out :thumbup:

And since we're discussing procedures here, a little 737th post present...

Blanco_seven_seven

Reaction score
Thanks

Safety. You NEVER take your hand from the throttle during lift-off and this applies to both pilots.

Thanks, a simple question. It happens all the time in the movies, on B17 etc and I always wondered why. It does look very romantic. I thought it maybe that:

a. The throttles were too heavy, the B17 is not a fly by wire!
b. The two pilots are deeply in love
c. The four sets of throttle also air paired to four variable pitch props
d. The engines also need other adjustments at the same time, eg. mixture?

Anyways, Hello and Happy VE Day everyone and I for one am grateful for the best part of the world we don’t have to tape our windows up tonight so the aren’t shattered by continual nightmarish air raids on any side. People we so tough in those days, I can’t even begin to imagine. Lest we forget!

B