Which ISS?

-Pv-

Reaction score
Which of the current ISS projects is the most complete, full featured, stable and has not been abandoned by the developer(s)?

Some of these (or parts of them) have been included with various other add-ons. I'm looking for something reasonably complete I can build scenarios on and operate as a crew.

-Pv-

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you want completeness, you should go for Donamy's ISS A2Z: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5633"]US ISS A to Z v.3[/ame]

-Pv-

Reaction score
It is that post which prompted me to ask the question. Having spent years spinning my wheels on Shuttle Fleet, I'm open to ideas.

-Pv-

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is that post which prompted me to ask the question. Having spent years spinning my wheels on Shuttle Fleet, I'm open to ideas.

-Pv-
What exactly are you looking for in an ISS add-on? All the elements that are currently on the real ISS is in Donamy's ISS A2Z add-on. He has done a fantastic job keeping it up to date, even beyond STS-135.

-Pv-

Reaction score
So far, unwinding the layered dependencies and locating them is turning into a headache.

I have SF 4.8. Will this work in place of SF 4.5 specified in the documentation? If so, is any other SF Service Pack required for 4.8 (the 4.5 being unavailable?)
-Pv-

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So far, unwinding the layered dependencies and locating them is turning into a headache.

I have SF 4.8. Will this work in place of SF 4.5 specified in the documentation? If so, is any other SF Service Pack required for 4.8 (the 4.5 being unavailable?)
-Pv-
I haven't used SF in a very long time (being a SSU developer has something to do with it), but I think that the scenarios will work just fine with Shuttle Fleet 4.8, unless the documentation states otherwise.

-Pv-

Reaction score
I attempted to get this package running on a dedicated folder using shuttlefleet 4.8 and there are a large number of missing meshes despite installing all of ISS 3.2 and AtoZ. I'm suspecting the missing meshes are in the SF4.5 package which are unavailable to me, so looks like this is a bust.

None of these many meshes are in the packages of "required" add-ons per the docs. The SF 4.8 docs did not mention prerequisite add-ons so it looks like it's intended to be complete within itself.

INSTALLATION ISSUES
--------------------------------------
G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Config\Vessels\ISSR\Fregat.cfg
MISSING MESH r7_SZ\Fregat.msh.

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Config\Spacecraft\OBSS.ini
MISSING MESH STS-118payloads\OBSS.msh.

etc...

What other ISS package is available and currently supported which does not depend on add-ons which have been removed from distribution?
-Pv-

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thorton's ISS 3.2 has it's own dependent add-ons. It needs Shuttle Fleet, not vice-versa. The missing fregat mesh should be in one of those (most likely this on, not on main computer so can't be sure) [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4545"]Soyuz FG/U v1.2[/ame]

I was fairly sure that Shuttle Fleet included the OBSS? Either that or there was something at the 'hangar that included it as part of ISSU or something, I'll keep looking.
Like maybe this one? [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4214"]STS-118 payload[/ame]

The best place to find all things related to Thorton's ISS is the related thread here http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6365#post73286 there's many questions asked and answered if your willing to sort through it (and it's highly worth it).

-Pv-

Reaction score
A problem I'm having is "ISS Fleet 4.5" is indeed available on Simviation, but the ISS 3.2 doc specifically calls for:

#3 Shuttle Fleet V4.5 (by David413)
#4 Shuttle Fleet V4.5 Service Pack 1

I'm not finding these.

Are you suggesting the ISS Fleet as an alternative to the ISS 3.2 and AtoZ combo?

-Pv-

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
ISS 3.2 should work just fine with Shuttle Fleet V4.8, or whatever version is on Simvation now. I assume that the V4.8 fixed whatever the V4.5 Service Pack addressed.

I was just making sure that you understand that there are Three separate ISS add-ons
1) ISS Fleet V4.5 (David413)
2) International Space Station v.3.2 (Thorton)
3) ISS AtoZ (Donamy)

Whether you use an alternative of one over the others or use them all or use none is up to you. My main concern is that people stop calling Thorton's add-on "ISS FLEET" because that is confusing.

What scenario are you trying to launch? Which add-on did it come from? I know for sure that the shuttle launch missions that come with Thorton's International Space Station V 3.2 works fine with Shuttle Fleet V4.8. Try one of Thorton's scenarios and see if it works.

My guess is that ISS AtoZ has some undocumented dependencies. The STS-118 payload thing makes sense because both it and ISS AtoZ are from Donamy. It's easy for that sort of thing to slip through the cracks. The Fregat is almost cetainy what PhantomCruiser said. It is also possible that you have the mesh, but in a different folder. Search your Orbiter directory for the missing meshes.

-Pv-

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm still trying to sort out the dependencies.

I have not referred to the Thorton package by ISS Fleet. I only mentioned ISS Fleet in the above post because it was suggested I downloaded it although I was actually looking for Shuttle Fleet 4.5.

This is my understanding:
The Thorton ISS 3.2 provide the Russion Only Packagage.
The AtoZ package ADDS the US and other partner modules to the Thorton Package.

The ISS Fleet seems to be a unified ISS and Shuttle Fleet Combo.

Inform me if I am wrong.

-Pv-

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Sorry about the ISS Fleet issue.

My understanding:

Thorton's ISS 3.2 provides the entire ISS (both Russian and US segment), but only up to a circa 2007 configuration.

Newer modules, etc. have been added mostly to the US/European/Japanese segment in real life and ISS AtoZ covers the updates.

ISS FLEET, AFAIK, is another unrelated add-on from the maker of Shuttle Fleet. I think it requires Shuttle Fleet and is meant to be used with Shuttle Fleet.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dan is very meticulous about maintaining hi shuttle fleet, so 4.8 supersedes earlier versions. ISS 3.2 will work A-OK with the 'Fleet 4.8. It requires the 'fleet, and makes it do some pretty cool things... Max-Q effect, contrails, a zillion (it would seem) attachment points, it's all good. The LC-39 launch sequence is pretty amazing all by itself.

Really you will have a hard time finding something more visually complicated than ISS 3.2, together with Don's A to Z. You can build the ISS from mission 1 and end up with a highly detailed true-to-life version of what's flying up there as I type this out.

-Pv-

Reaction score
^^^

With PC's thoughts in mind, I will make more attempts to get the ISS 3.2, SF 4.8, and AtoZ combo working. Why these packages and the dependencies they document don't seem to provide the OBSS yet is still a mystery(assuming there isn't something needed in SF 4.5.) If nothing else, perhaps someone else who needs to walk this journey after me will have some guidance as the story unfolds.

-Pv-

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

I tried again to assemble this configuration from a raw Orbiter 2010 and the following files:

ISS_v3.2_07.09.10.rar
Proton_LV_R2.2_01.09.10.rar
Soyuz_FG(U)_v1.2_25.10.10.rar
ShuttleFleetV4.8R2.zip
ISS_A2Z_v3.zip

I get the same errors:

INSTALLATION ISSUES
--------------------------------------
G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Config\Spacecraft\OBSS.ini
MISSING MESH STS-118payloads\OBSS.msh.

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Config\Spacecraft\OBSS_MPMs.ini
MISSING MESH "STS-118payloads\OBSS_MPMs".msh.

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Config\Base.cfg
MISSING TEXTURE Cape21.dds.

MISSING TEXTURE STSEdwrun1.dds.

MISSING TEXTURE STSRoof03.dds.

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\ISS AtoZ with new arrays.scn
MISSING CFG FILE Z1CMG.cfg. (Do not use this scenario)

I'm ignoring these for now:

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Attach the DM.scn
MISSING CFG FILE Skylab.cfg. (Do not use this scenario)

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Attach the DM.scn
MISSING CFG FILE DM.cfg. (Do not use this scenario)

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Columbia Docking.scn

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Columbia Docking.scn

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Rescue 1979.scn

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Rescue 1979.scn

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Rescue Launch Scenario.scn

G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\Skylab V4.8\Skylab Rescue Launch Scenario.scn

-Pv-

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
About your OBSS problem.
If you are using the SFleet and ISSR 3.2 by Thorton you have two different choices:

1) Using the OBSS-MPM that comes with Fleet

2) Using the ISSR 3.2 OBSS-MPM

David413 uses the Ultra OBSS-MPM for his Fleet. IF you want to use this one you'll need to download it separetly (it is not included in the Fleet addon) just read page 21 of the SF 4.8 manual:

"First, to add the Ultra_OBSS and Ultra_MPMs you must download them in the STS-122
payload package for the Space Shuttle Ultra by Donamy. It is available from Orbit
Hangar"

here is where you find it:

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3236"]http://http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3236[/ame]

read also the manual instructions on how to modify the Shuttle attachments in order to make it work with the Fleet.

If you want to use the ISSR OBSS then you are already set: the OBSS-MPM are attached to the ShuttleBay.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thank you! I couldn't for the life of me remember where I'd gotten Don's OBSS (although I guess we could have just asked him, I'll give myself a facepalm for that...).

Anyway, the missing Skylab issues... If you want to clear those out, get the Skylab (also from David413, creator of Shuttle Fleet). It isn't essential, and tbh I like the visual of usonian's version a bit more. David's is more functionality and historical recreation of events and usonian is more of a what if Columbia had not been delayed.

Maybe check out Skylab-B, sort of another what-if. Skylab with a steroid injection.

-Pv-

Reaction score
AT this point I'm not creating any scenarios. I'm just trying to use the ones which came with the installed packages. It's not helpful that these packages include scenarios which are not supported with the modules which the documented packages don't include.

I'll try the STS122 and see what happens.
-Pv-

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

Nothing changed when I over-wrote files in the installation with STS122 files.

I get the same reports from the diagnostic program.

For now, I just deleted the skylab scenarios. Not interested in them. I'll deal with them later.

At this point, only trying to get the scenarios created by the ISS3.2, AtoZ, SF4.8, and STS122ultra + expansion pack installations to not report errors.
I am getting some of the ISS scenarios folder to run.

-Pv-

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
G:\Orbiter2010 SF\Scenarios\ISS AtoZ with new arrays.scn
MISSING CFG FILE Z1CMG.cfg. (Do not use this scenario)

and regarding this, download CMG2 and you should be alright

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5351"]CMG v2.0[/ame]

If you have other issues I strongly suggest to have a look at the ISS AtoZ addon thread here:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=26673&highlight=ISS+ATOZ

most of the problems users had so far have been reported there.

Good luck and enjoy your ISS missions!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can always PM me. :hello: