Question Where are you on the global fat scale?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Seems I'm somewhere close to

If he makes a film equal to that:

N.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh?
How does BMI tell between 10 kg of fat and 10 kg of muscle?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Huh?
How does BMI tell between 10 kg of fat and 10 kg of muscle?

It doesn't, hence the problem.

The Danish wikipedia article describes it as "an indicator for over- or underweight in groups, but shouldn't be used for exact measurement on individuals."

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd say it's up to your appreciation, and the advice of your local medic. ;)

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I'm not going to say what my BMI is...but let's put it this way - if i go to the gym every day for a few years... I may get back to a healthy weight....

The problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for your body type either. I'm a curvy girl (yay me) so a BMI of 22 would look fine on my sister (who is not at all curvy) but I'd look like I was anorexic.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
177cm tall and 53kg. I score a 17 bmi, most like the average citizen of the Congo.

That's what happens when you work long hours and only have an opportunity to eat once or twice a day, if at all. I thought this wasn't supposed to happen to people in NA...? :(

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not going to say what my BMI is...but let's put it this way - if i go to the gym every day for a few years... I may get back to a healthy weight....

The problem with BMI is that it doesn't account for your body type either. I'm a curvy girl (yay me) so a BMI of 22 would look fine on my sister (who is not at all curvy) but I'd look like I was anorexic.

Indeed. I checked the bmi of others, and it suggests people lose weight to a totally unhealthy degree. And I don't think it properly accounts for all heights.

fort

Reaction score
Here:

bmi 20
a lower BMI than 97% of males aged 60-69 in your country
a lower BMI than 85% of males aged 60-69 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 46,933,945 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

I'm most like someone from Eritrea :blink:

...and there
Taille 168 cm Poids 56 kg IMC 19.8 corpulence normale :p

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
I am just about over the edge...25 bmi. Maybe in a few more days.

MattBaker

Reaction score
You're most like someone from DR Congo

Should I take this as a heavy insult?

Whatever, I could eat twice as much as everyone else and can't gain weight (60 kg at 185 cm:shifty:)...

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Whatever, I could eat twice as much as everyone else and can't gain weight (60 kg at 185 cm:shifty:)...

Were your blood fat levels checked recently? If not, I'd recommend doing so.

I had that mode running from adolescence to around 30, and now I'm fighting high blood fat levels, although my BMI is around 22. Doctor said my body can't properly convert fat from food into "usual" fat cells, so I can eat much but don't gain weight. Instead, my liver has to handle the fat and eventually dumps it into the blood. You can guess that that's not healthy...

IMHO, doctors, trainers or body-coaches that use the BMI as single yardstick for weight goals should be avoided at all costs, as they can do more harm to people than McDonald's.
Also, I see the current "body-cult" as pretty dangerous. Weight and shape is only one aspect of a healthy body, but is treated as the be-all-end-all in society.

Oh well, at least at Facebook they can do the Photoshop diet. Just like the real models do...

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Your numbers

Obesity Index
19bmi
BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is

National
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 97% of males aged 15-29 in your country

Global
Below average
You have a lower BMI than 81% of males aged 15-29 in the world

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 57,041,004 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

You're most like someone from Somalia

I knew I'd be about there, Zatnikitelman beat me by 1 :p

Whatever, I could eat twice as much as everyone else and can't gain weight
High metabolism, same here :)

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I'm 5'10, weighing 169 pounds.

BMI is 24, in the lowest 26% of the US, but highest 30% of the world. Kiss me I'm Irish.

I never really liked the BMI index to be honest. Sure, I'm a little rounded in the middle, but most of my weigh comes from muscle I gained in the marching band and working out on my own. Furthermore, I have no health issues, normal cholesterol, and am in a healthy weight range according to my doc. Just because this thing thinks I'm nearly overweight doesn't mean I'm unhealthy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BMI of 28 here... Now, you could say that I am fat... Hell, I am saying this about myself. But my ideal weight has still a BMI of 24.

According to my coarse body analysis scale, I have 24% fat and 51% water. I might claim to have heavy bones, but in reality, it is a fair amount of muscles hidden below the fat.

Hmm...Qatar...

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The only thing this has been good for has been for me to discover what the demonym of Sierra Leone is.