What's your definition of the experiences?

SpaceShuttleFan

Inflatable Module
Reaction score
By experiences, I mean the Experience: Beginner/Intermediate/advanced/Expert tags under your avatar. What do you think defines those? (e.g. First docking, lunar transfer, Mars, outer solar system)

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
They mean whatever the user makes out of them. For me, 'Beginner' means 'Just started', 'Intermediate' means being able to do basic maneuvers like going to orbit, docking, maybe a trip to the Moon, 'Advanced' means being able to fly to another planet (whether it's Mars or Neptune doesn't matter, the technique is the same), and 'Expert' means being able to set up all kinds of crazy TransX plans.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Yep, I changed mine to intermediate after I flew my first full AMSO Lunar landing mission(and a few other things).

sorindafabico

Reaction score
They mean whatever the user makes out of them. For me, 'Beginner' means 'Just started', 'Intermediate' means being able to do basic maneuvers like going to orbit, docking, maybe a trip to the Moon, 'Advanced' means being able to fly to another planet (whether it's Mars or Neptune doesn't matter, the technique is the same), and 'Expert' means being able to set up all kinds of crazy TransX plans.

Good definition.

The expert level should be reserved for those able to make trips using only paper and pencil instead of MFDs. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am Beginner, because I am not yet knowing everything. Also I am pretty Anti-Elitist.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My tag is advanced because I feel I can handle most situations Orbiter throws at me. I'm not up there with many of the other Orbinauts who've reached god-tier in the public opinion (ex. flytandem with his 'Earth-Venus-Venus-Earth-Jupiter-Neptune-Earth' flights or dgatsoulis with his showcase of stunts and manoeuvres), but hey, it is a user-controlled dialog, so all that matters is how the user feels about his own skills, eh? :p

On a related note, Tommy made an excellent post about this a few years ago:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=211473&postcount=20

orbekler

Reaction score
I think that there is not much sense in leaving to the user that option. I could consider myself an advanced user, but I may be a really crappy orbinaut.

Also, as specified by Tommy, Orbiter is so vast, that you could consider it like a moltitude of Medicine branches. You could have hundreds of specializations, wich lead to as many specialized doctors.

The italian forum (except for admins, add-on developers, tutorial makers) will promote you according to the number of threads/posts you're making, but I don't consider it a valid method too.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
On the contrary, I think it's the best to leave choosing that option to the user.

I don't use it myself and I hardly notice it or take into consideration when I read someone's posts, but I don't take into consideration number of posts made or the user's color or their badges either, but only the content of the post I read.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think that there is not much sense in leaving to the user that option. I could consider myself an advanced user, but I may be a really crappy orbinaut.

Also, as specified by Tommy, Orbiter is so vast, that you could consider it like a moltitude of Medicine branches. You could have hundreds of specializations, wich lead to as many specialized doctors.

The italian forum (except for admins, add-on developers, tutorial makers) will promote you according to the number of threads/posts you're making, but I don't consider it a valid method too.

Yeah, if we went to the experience due to posting, Urwumpe would be a SupercalafragilisticespialadociousUber-Orbinaut :lol:.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I think it's sorta someone's statement about what you should expect them to already know if they have some sort of problem, or what percentage of things they know are possible in Orbiter that they've already mastered. Just a little clue as to where the cutoff line is for "you probably already know what I'm talking about."

I picked "intermediate" since I can cruise around fine in space, but haven't really learned to be elegant about it, and haven't learned reentry (don't wanna come back down...) or how to do some of the more advanced maneuvers, like slingshots, etc.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I can't agree with that: what would we base it on? A system of Steam-like 'achievements' in Orbiter that the forum reads? Online tests? :p

The impracticality of implementing that, combined with its lack of usefulness, extreme potential to be biased towards certain skills over others, and inherent elitism really discourage me from such a system.

I agree. Many forums use this sillyness, and it quickly becomes either a mad scramble to 5 000 posts and a cool star by your name, or a weapon for elitists to bash new or inactive users with. This forum displaying the postcount is about as far as I'm willing to go. If users must be elevated above others, it should be by other users recognising his name from the content of excellent posts, not a fancy badge bar and "Awesome Member" title potentially obtained by spamming threads or paying the admins.

So I guess I'm with Urwumpe on anti-elitism. :rant:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, if we went to the experience due to posting, Urwumpe would be a SupercalafragilisticespialadociousUber-Orbinaut :lol:.

Yes, but quality beats quantity. :tiphat: I am just the worst spambot of O-F.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
While we are on the subject, I just thought I would make a suggestion. Whenever we get a confused orbinaut coming to us for help with interplanetary navigation, I would suggest that we start off by directing them to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

As silly as it sounds, if one stops and listens to the song, a lot of the conceptual problems become clear. I just wish the song was in metric...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I am Beginner, because I am not yet knowing everything. Also I am pretty Anti-Elitist.

There is a certain form of elitism in this statement, is there not, Urwumpe ;)

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I created a basic metric to score myself on:

Beginner: Reading and mastering the basics from GPIS
Intermediate:Learning to apply the lessons of GPIS to any scenario and mastering reentry
Advanced:Being able to plan a journey and then fly it more or less flawlessly.
Expert:Being able to plan really complicated, multi-sling style journeys, fly them, and do it without breaking a sweat.

It's by no means objective, but that's why I've marked myself 'Advanced'.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The world of Orbiter has a LOT of new things and experiences waiting to be discovered. Therefore I shall ever be a "beginner" (or even one level below that, maybe I should call it "negative EXP" :p).

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have managed to get into orbit, dock, use TransX to get to the Moon and Mars, and land on the Moon and Mars with the XR2. I can also do a re-entry from LEO with the XR2 (and managed to do it with the XR5).

I don't want to do realistic shuttle procedures (such as RPM and TORVA), and I can't do interplanetary slingshots. I also don't want to turn on the pertubations (e.g. nonspherical gravity sources). I also can't do a full Earth-Moon-Earth mission with direct re-entry.

So what does that make me?

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have managed to get into orbit, dock, use TransX to get to the Moon and Mars, and land on the Moon and Mars with the XR2. I can also do a re-entry with the XR2 (and managed to do it with the XR5).

I don't want to do realistic shuttle procedures (such as RPM and TORVA), and I can't do interplanetary slingshots. I also don't want to turn on the pertubations (e.g. nonspherical gravity sources).

So what does that make me?

Bout same as me ;)

orbekler

Reaction score
I've nothing much to offer
There's nothing much to take
I'm an absolute beginner
And I'm absolutely sane...

Here am I sitting in a tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do...:lol: