Advanced Question What the hell is this Star wars?

LOOKKIIALT

Reaction score
There is a object that i did not spawn
heres it https://imgur.com/a/aa9h0xe
I was planning to go to the stars that you see when you leave earth but When i got That thing in my screen it was probably a part of my ship because i was out of the bounds in the solar system, Though it might be a glitch or a bug.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
The title is also my reaction when leaving the theater after watching "The Last Jedi".

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was planning to go to the stars that you see when you leave earth.

Orbiter does not support interstellar flight, because it gets into numerical problems once you get to a substantial distance from the sun. Graphical glitches like that are then possible.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It looks like it was one of the cargo pods that the Shuttle-A can carry.

Zandy12

Add-on Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter does not support interstellar flight, because it gets into numerical problems once you get to a substantial distance from the sun. Graphical glitches like that are then possible.

This is very interesting. I can only imagine how complicated the new physics engine will have to be to support interstellar travel but I would be delighted to see a later Orbiter that can support it.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This is very interesting. I can only imagine how complicated the new physics engine will have to be to support interstellar travel but I would be delighted to see a later Orbiter that can support it.

Divide the Universe into sectors, à la Star Trek, and then the math only has to work inside each sector? :shrug:
We would have the Solar System, with some empty space around, in Sector 001, and then X empty sectors in one direction until we come up to the sector which has the Vulcan system. :p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes.Or switch to fixed point math for the coordinates, while still using floating point velocity and acceleration. A 128 bit integer representing 1 mm accuracy would result in a 3.40E34 m universe... Or:

11,018,639,233 GPc

That's a lot bigger than the visible universe.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I can only imagine how complicated the new physics engine will have to be to support interstellar travel
Eh, been there done that. It's rather easy to do if you are planning for that from the start, the difficulties only arise if you have to retrofit an existing ecosystem for it.