What music are you listening to?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Jimmy Buffet; Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads.

Ahh, I miss the islands...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Probably even better than the original David Bowie version. :rofl:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Space Oddity (Commander Hadfield version)

Probably even better than the original David Bowie version. :rofl:

This would be worth it even if it's all they built the ISS to do.

There's also his own original "space shanty" (though it's probably already been posted):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YufsbE4-jmY"]Jewel in the Night -- original music from the International Space Station - YouTube[/ame]

Hopefully this is the first in a long line of traditional astronaut ballads.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Daft Punk is just awesome for putting their new album out there for free (streaming), before it's even "out". :love:
I hope it wouldn't be committing a sin to say that they might actually be getting BETTER.
(admitting that they are doing a lot of collaboration)

Last edited:

Staiduk

Reaction score
I don't often listen to recorded music; other that what is played between news sets on the CBC. There are a few voices however that thrill me.
First; I posted this in another thread but might as well include it here. A Tribe Called Red is a Cree hip-hop group bringing Indian music into the modern age. (Or rather, I should say making the modern age aware of Indian music.)
They are powerful and emotional beyond belief:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zH9wHWMi_k]A Tribe Called Red[/ame]
Second; possibly the sexiest voice I've ever heard (IMO): Jill Berber. A Canadian jazz/swing singer; she steals the hearts (and other romantic parts) of men with every sensual note from her generous lips and sway of that lovely figure. Her voice drills down straight into my soul and strokes every switch labelled 'libido'. Her voice is the closest thing to an audible aphrodisiac I've ever heard.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guVjJC9A_hM]Jill Berber - Chances[/ame]

(Side note: Not only is she beautiful and possessed of that heartbreaking voice; but she released her latest album entirely in French! Now that's just not fair - she's already captured our hearts; does she have to enslave us poor men as well? ;) )

Last; the woman I truly believe to be the greatest singer on the planet; Sumi Jo - the Korean-born Diva of the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City. Here she sings what has been considered one of the most difficult singing roles ever written: the Queen Of The Night; in Mozart's magnificent opera Die Zauberflaute. No other Human voice on the planet can come close to matching this incredible performance.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTx1BeHiyvw]Sumi Jo - Der Holle Rach[/ame]
I switch between these unique performers more or less at random; but rarely venture beyond their borders; other than to venture into Maria Callas territory. :D. :)

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

Hopefully this is the first in a long line of traditional astronaut ballads.

Hopefully, yes. Like this Garan character, who was so low that he couldn't bring himself to finish his tune... :)

(Probably posted somewhere here before, too).

Other things I am listening to (ie; YT watching) at present still remain as songs I have attempted to play and want to see what others are doing with it...

And I have also been listening to some 8 bit stuff, as it seems to have become somewhat of a form of expression in music, from its roots as scroller background music. I want the game that goes with this one!

E

ex-orbinaut

Thats an 8-bit remix, its not from a game:

:lol: I know, but it would be nice in a game! Nostalgia from both ends, as I used to listen to the original when it was a new song and play those sort of games when the audio capability of computers did not exceed that sound.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And I have also been listening to some 8 bit stuff, as it seems to have become somewhat of a form of expression in music, from its roots as scroller background music.

Related to the 8-bit phenomena is the "Mario Paint Composer" remakes. For those of you who remember playing with Mario Paint back in the 90s on the Nintendo consoles, there is a subculture of people out there who persue the hobby of using the Mario Paint Composer software to remake famous tunes. I'm guessing they're using some sort of PC-based emulator for this.

It's getting a bit off-topic, since I don't know anyone who actually "listens" to this other than for novelty reasons:

E

ex-orbinaut

I have been going through a box of about 120 cassettes I have had lying around and have not listened to for years. Among some of the stuff found were these, which I attempted playing by ear on the guitar myself, with only a small degree of success as they seemed almost impossible to get correctly on E or D# tuning...

...so I gave in and cheated, looking up a video tutorial or two. Much as I dislike having to do that, it nonetheless turns out that neither used any form of "standard" tuning. Very easy and enjoyable to play, once that little detail is solved, and you hardly need the rest of the tutorial to figure it out from there.

Also in the "collection", this one, not listened to for ages;

Back in the day, none of us failed to notice a certain similarity here with Kashmir, at some points in the song. However, the Deep Purple implementation is much simpler to play on a standard tuned guitar, and needed no recourse to any tutorials to figure out.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been restoring an old house with my brother, and we found a box of cassettes. Everything from MC Hammer to Omar and the Howlers. It's been entertaining!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I may still have a bag of old cassettes somewhere in my things. If I find it I will note the albums I need to look up on CD or download, and then probably trash them all, as I doubt they are in any shape to be played and I don't have a decent player for them anyway.

Keith, I have that Deep Purple album on vinyl from back in the day. That was their "comeback" album. That particular song is my favorite DP song of all time. Yes, it sounded Zeppelinesque, but that was part of why it was so awesome. The only proper way to listen to that tune is to crank your stereo to max volume and then press "play", so Jon Lord's opening organ sound can blow you out the window.

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By this River, Yoshida Brothers + Brian Eno:

Last edited:
E

ex-orbinaut

Keith, I have that Deep Purple album on vinyl from back in the day. That was their "comeback" album. That particular song is my favorite DP song of all time. Yes, it sounded Zeppelinesque, but that was part of why it was so awesome. The only proper way to listen to that tune is to crank your stereo to max volume and then press "play", so Jon Lord's opening organ sound can blow you out the window.

:thumbup:
Aye, that was the way it was listened to, now as then. It is a brilliant album, not a dud track on it, right when we never expected to hear anything more from Deep Purple.

Talking "Zeppelinesque", I had this one on a "shaped" 45 single, with a picture of the band on it. Saying that they emulated Zeppelin is a bit of an understatement. Could not remember the song's name, but I did remember the band, so here it is;

As for what I am listening to and NOT trying to play on the guitar myself at the moment, here's one that is entertaining me on my YT play-list. Do like a bit of Gothic every now and then, though the intro does seem like good movie opening credits stuff...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well of course:

N.