What kind of add-on do you think would change Orbiter forever?

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
...As for spawning new vessels, I think I'll stick to the Scenario Editor, thanks. :D

Some features that may change Orbiter forever:

- Collision detection and damage models. Failures.
- An advanced simulation of the human aspects of spaceflight so that aging, prolonged weightlessness and, most importantly, radiation factor in when planning our simulated missions.
- Interaction on planets & moons. Landing in the jungle and shooting at random critters is cool but not exactly what I mean. Gathering rocks, ice, and information about their atmosphere, surface and features would give orbinauts something to do at their destinations (and will expand Orbiter's educational possibilities). Add realistic 3D terrain and it will be beautiful as well. Also, could serve as a basis for trade and a simulated economy. Who knows.

Most of us enjoy Orbiter for its realism and complexity. Anything that adds realism and complexity will be welcomed IMHO.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Re: radiation. There is publicly available set of codes for Van Allen radiation (proton and electron) modelling, called AP-8, AE-8 (they are old, and reflect only one solarmax and one solarmin AFAIR). I do have them on my computer, but they also require a current geomagnetic model. Cosmic ray codes are at AFAIK GSFC's ftp server, too. To make use of them would mean three steps:

1. Compiling the geomagnetic code.
2. Feeding geomagnetic code to AP-8/AE-8.
3. Converting proton/electron energy distributions into bioequivalent doses (Sieverts).

The filthy Wiki says ([ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sievert"]Sievert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]) we have to convert to Sieverts by using weighted sums for various organs...

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
For Christmas I would like a very detailed Star Wars world complete with all of the flying cars, weird animals, X-wings, Tie-fighters, etc. Basically I want to simulate a day in Luke Skywalker's life and be able to shoot other spaceships with lazers and have it cause damage. I also need a warp drive that breaks occasionally and I need a Chewbacca to fix it.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
- An advanced simulation of the human aspects of spaceflight so that aging, prolonged weightlessness and, most importantly, radiation factor in when planning our simulated missions.
That could be fun. :hmm:
But then it would need to know when you are simulating gravity (eg, space station centrifuge, spinning vessel etc.) and be able calculate the amount of gravity and its effects on the body.

Darren

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
That could be fun. :hmm:
But then it would need to know when you are simulating gravity (eg, space station centrifuge, spinning vessel etc.) and be able calculate the amount of gravity and its effects on the body.

Darren

But how would it know if lets say, a modular space station is built, has a centrifuge or not? On my space station for example, I have one module where have ummu's inside that are "onboard" the space station and I consider that they are able to move about freely between all the parts. If I were to attach a centrifuge to the space station how would orbiter know that it exists between all of the docked modules?

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But how would it know if lets say, a modular space station is built, has a centrifuge or not? On my space station for example, I have one module where have ummu's inside that are "onboard" the space station and I consider that they are able to move about freely between all the parts. If I were to attach a centrifuge to the space station how would orbiter know that it exists between all of the docked modules?
Maybe a plugin could be created where you can "connect" all ships docked to each other into one giant UMMU-compatible ship, allowing them to "move" freely about.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
For Christmas I would like a very detailed Star Wars world complete with all of the flying cars, weird animals, X-wings, Tie-fighters, etc. Basically I want to simulate a day in Luke Skywalker's life and be able to shoot other spaceships with lazers and have it cause damage. I also need a warp drive that breaks occasionally and I need a Chewbacca to fix it.
Star Wars has hyperdrive, not warp drive.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Been done: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3192"]IEMFD v0.2 Alpha[/ame]

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
You already have that capability. TLEs from McDowell, seeSat-L or other sources can be used via Scenario Editor TLE

A little off-topic: can is work the opposite way, I mean, generate TLE for a given object by Orbiter's state vectors? Or does such a feature require a separate implementation?

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

A little off-topic: can is work the opposite way, I mean, generate TLE for a given object by Orbiter's state vectors? Or does such a feature require a separate implementation?

Ahem, I should really click 'Search' btn first:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2665"]Orbiter TLE Exporter[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I would say a separate implementation might be better, it also requires a lot more work, since a snapshot alone would be just a osculating element TLE.

The TLE is not just the state vector, but actually an approximation suitable for many state vectors in the future.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I would say a separate implementation might be better, it also requires a lot more work, since a snapshot alone would be just a osculating element TLE.

The TLE is not just the state vector, but actually an approximation suitable for many state vectors in the future.

What will happen if, for instance, I export some of the TLE's along one orbiting DG's orbit and then just average averageable (like Mean Motion, etc.), fields? Can it produce a TLE good for real world estimations?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What will happen if, for instance, I export some of the TLE's along one orbiting DG's orbit and then just average averageable (like Mean Motion, etc.), fields? Can it produce a TLE good for real world estimations?

Not really - for example periapsis and apoapsis are maxima, not averages then. And if you use any orbit pertubation model in the TLE, the Kepler elements in the TLE don't need to be the real ones, but just starting values for the pertubation.

You would need to gather state vector samples over a long enough period of time (I would say, three orbits can be enough), and then fit a least square solution to it.

qwesr

0rb1t0r
Reaction score
From were we are now i cant think of anything that would be revolutionary. Buuuttttt i can think of small addons that would help the game.
it would be great if there was an autopiolet that would do anything, anytime, anywere(for the noobies):p

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
From were we are now i cant think of anything that would be revolutionary. Buuuttttt i can think of small addons that would help the game.
it would be great if there was an autopiolet that would do anything, anytime, anywere(for the noobies):p
It's already there. It's called playback mode.

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
Here are my top 3 in order of importance:

1:collision detection

2:Collision Detection

3:COLLISION DETECTION!!!!

I am personally tired of operating in a world of ghosts and shadows with no substance. What good does it do to fly everything right and be careful not to crash into the space station on approach and watch out for those vectors and thrusts when none of it makes any difference.So if you miss your approach then ....so what! you just fly right through the station and then just back up and do it again till it clicks. Where's the realism in that?Where's the white knuckle,pulse pounding thrill of a perfect dock maneuver? Nothing breaks the Immersion of the sim faster than a ghost object that isn't really there.All these ships and stations may as well be just holo-projections for all the substance they possess.If there is no possibility of a crash then there is no incentive to perfect your techniques. Just my two cents worth..

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
I would like to see
1:collision detection
2:some kind of simulated water/liquid earth oceans or the liquid ethene oceans on titan(you get ice if temp is 32f or below.different liquids freeze at different temps configurable via *.cfg file)
3: (This one is for Dr. Martin) Special relativity mechanics built into the core to coexist with the newtonian. This could lead to delay in voice/data transmisson say from earth to mars and back.Or delay in unmanned missions to rovers on mars for example.To look up at the stars and see into the past :) (ok my mind is racing ill stop there lol)
4:MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER not mmorpg! localhost/internet client/server. A collabrative project to expidite getting it out to the community fully functioning and user friendly.Its been way to long. 11 years (no disrespect face.This isnt directed towards you in any way)
5:A real mission control addon or a mission control mode inside of the multiplayer

I think these ideas would attract alot more people to orbiter and as a result the community will grow, and as a result of that more addon makers and a even more successful future for orbiter and the younger generation of orbinauts to take over where us old guys leave off.
I have showed many people orbiter they like the graphics but as soon as they see no fire on a crash or they pass through somthing they just completely loose intrest.You tell them its a Space sim not a arcade game and fire and explosions dont matter.its about the physics and stuff they just arent intrested anymore.Just an observation

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Or images on a glass plate on your desk... :rolleyes:
Or an arrangement of Liquid Crystals to give the appearance of an object. (I'm taking it too far aren't I?)

I think I have thought of one way to solve the main issues with multiplayer, and to be quite honest, I think multiplayer would be far more fun this way.
Every player is their own UMMU! that way they could all be in the same vessel going to the same place on the same mission, you could do cooperative EVAs and such and get a mission done far more quickly and realistically as singleplayer allows.
Imagine how fun it would be with some people aboard a Mars orbital station, two people could be on EVA doing repairs while another small group could be travelling down to the surface.
Or some players could be on the ISS waiting for a new group of astronauts ready to launch via shuttle.
The possibilites are (nearly) endless and the problems of multiplayer (time acceleration etc) are basically solved!

If this sort of multiplayer is implemented my social life will explode to pieces. :lol:

Darren