Poll What is your "state-of-art" airplane/spacecraft?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
^ Very well said, T.Neo! I will never cease to be amazed by the Shuttle.
Of course, this latest problem with the ET stringers depresses me. In recent years I'd been happily noticing that launch delays were almost all weather-related. I figured we'd finally gotten the technical bugs worked out of the system. Like my Dad always said about big projects, "Around the time you get finished, you'll have figured out how to get started."

Ditto.
Engineering wise I'm still amazed that these things perform as well as they've done. Awesome!!! The best experimental crafts ever.

But from a operational/economic perspective they're pretty disastrous. Too bad that this is the thing they're going to remembered for.

Phillips

Regular witty saying title.
Reaction score
The 787 is my state of the art airplane.

Spacecraft? The whole constellation program!:hailprobe:
I mean, constellation has the Ares I and V, Orion, Altair, Jupiter 120 and 232. What more could you have in a space program?

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
My plane? Probably either an F-16 or A340. Fly-By-Wire FTW
And for spacecraft, I'm undecided.

rseferino

Orbiter amateur filmmaker
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vf-1 Valkyrie fighter from Macross (yes, Macross, not Robotech)

macross-dyrl-vf-1s-strike-mmm.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Robotech version is also known as the Phoenixhawk from BattleTech. ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But from a operational/economic perspective they're pretty disastrous.

I wouldn't say STS is disasterous in terms of operational performance; despite the two catastrophic accidents, it has- to my knowledge- performed well as an orbital delivery vehicle, a satellite reservicing platform, a temporary orbital science platform, and a station construction/resupply platform, despite the fact that the economics of it's planned purpose often did not work out.

It's interesting to note that Soyuz has a similar LOC record to the shuttle, with two LOC incidents out of ~140 missions.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Weeeeeeelll...actually they are just Apollo + Skylab with Wings. if you would read the exact technological specs and compare it to what you have in your PC today, you would be badly surprised. The A/D converters of your sound subsystem are likely 50 times better than the A/D converters used in the Space Shuttle, and way more accurate. Even if you agree that the Shuttle A/D converters have to work for a bigger temperature range, this is not so impressive anymore.
Well, yes, perhaps that was an overzealous comment, but it is still pretty much the 'state of the art' IE the state of the space industry, at least until Dragon, Orion, PPTS, Parom, etc. are flying regularly.

Last edited:

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Wait, how are vehicles designed in the 1960s "state of the art"?

Well, modern music isn't always better art than older music ;)

The LEM is the only vehicle, so far, that successfully has taken people to other planets (and coupled with the CSM even the only vehicle that has taken people farther out than LEO). That's true art, to me :)
The LEM may be an older song, but it still sounds better than any modern song. The LEM is like a singer that can actually sing.

The 747 was ground-breaking in a similar way. Sure, the Concorde could fly faster and higher, but the 747 has had a much greater effect on human life than the Concorde did (and the 747 still flies, while the Concorde gave up. State-of-the-art, to me, is when things work and work and work and work and... :) )

And last, they were designed by clever people who didn't have fast super-computers. That's art :)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, modern music isn't always better art than older music ;)

Not always, but not all old music is always better than modern music. ;) And it is NEVER State of the art. Even Krautrock is a bloody relict of a interesting past, that you can't play in the modern world, with the same effect.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The LEM is the only vehicle, so far, that successfully has taken people to other planets (and coupled with the CSM even the only vehicle that has taken people farther out than LEO). That's true art, to me

Not to other planets, to another astronomical body. The Moon is not a planet, it is, well... a moon.

The 747 was ground-breaking in a similar way. Sure, the Concorde could fly faster and higher, but the 747 has had a much greater effect on human life than the Concorde did (and the 747 still flies, while the Concorde gave up. State-of-the-art, to me, is when things work and work and work and work and... )

Not to mention the fact that more people have flown on the 747, it's seen far more service overall, and, IMO, has been far more culturally significant.

Well, yes, perhaps that was an overzealous comment, but it is still pretty much the 'state of the art' IE the state of the space industry, at least until Dragon, Orion, PPTS, Parom, etc. are flying regularly.

Nothing can compare to STS today. And those spacecraft won't be able to compare to STS either, except for Dragon, which will hopefully carry a crew of 7. And Parom which has a space ferrying capacity... that is partially what STS does with station components, after launching them.

Granted, Pirs and Poisk (to my knowledge) lack their own RCS/power, and they were ferried by an expendable Progress service module. Still, you can't top a 14+ ton Destiny or Kibo with a 3.6 ton Poisk...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"State of the art" doesn't mean "has had the biggest effect." It means "the highest level of development" ( [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_the_art"]State of the art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] ).

The LEM and the 747 are far from the "highest level of development" available in modern times, given that both have had technologically superior successors designed that are capable of being built now, regardless of social impact.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My examples of state of the art: {classified} and {classified}.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Not always, but not all old music is always better than modern music. ;) And it is NEVER State of the art. Even Krautrock is a bloody relict of a interesting past, that you can't play in the modern world, with the same effect.

'Krautrock' is not bad actually :) I like the fact that both 'Krautrock' and Einstein (and much rocket-science) come from the same country :)

If, by saying 'never', you mean that, for example, a jazz-piece can never be called state-of-the-art jazz, then I would probably have to concede that my music-comparison (comparing the LEM to a good singer) was not well-chosen.

"State of the art" doesn't mean "has had the biggest effect." It means "the highest level of development"

True but irrelevant when you look at how the original poster's question is formed ;)
I know you're somewhat of a nitpicker at times Hielor, Defender of Truth :cheers:, so I'll play your game for a moment.

The original poster, OrbiterSpore, asked this (I'm quoting it here for reference):

What is your "state-of-art" airplane/spacecraft?

So? What's yours? Fictional also counts

Issue #1: Missing time definition!

"the highest level of development"... but at what point in time? This is not defined in the question and thus the actual true defensible fact is that both vehicles I mentioned are 'legal' candidates for the title, state-of-the-art, since that's what they were when developed.

Issue #2: logical inconsistency!

Logic prohibits fictional craft be defined as state-of-the-art since fictional implies something non-developed. So since the original poster, OrbiterSpore, lets us know that fictional craft are not to be excluded in this thread we can deduce from that that we are not limited to the default definition of state-of-the-art.

Furthermore, the original poster, OrbiterSpore, asks "What is your" state-of-the-art aircraft, implying that we can choose freely, which is inconsistent with the logic of "highest level of development" since the term 'highest' is a logical singularity = there can be only 1 that is 'highest'.

end-of-nitpicking-game :bananadance:

The LEM and the 747 are far from the "highest level of development" available in modern times, given that both have had technologically superior successors designed that are capable of being built now, regardless of social impact.

I actually disagree with you here.

To my knowledge the LEM has not been superseded by any vehicle. The LEM is still the only vehicle that has landed humans on the moon and brought them back. It's still the most modern vehicle man has ever done a successful moon-return flight in. No other vehicle has proved itself capable yet, but the LEM. The LEM is still the pinnacle of human-carrying moon flight vehicles.

Are there even any other HUMAN-carrying lunar landers actually ever developed yet, besides the LEM? Altair was canceled before actually developed into a prototype, as far as I understand. Isn't the LEM the ONLY human-carrying lunar-lander EVER actually developed?

And if we adhere to the default definition of 'state-of-the-art', then depending on how we define "highest level of development", either the Airbus A380 or the Boeing 747-8 is the current state-of-the-art among large commercial aircraft.

The A380 first flew in 2005, the 747-8 in 2010, making the 747-8 the latest developed large commercial aircraft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8

We can then argue which design is the "highest level of development". The 747-8 is based on the typical 747 design, which itself is older than the A380 design (which itself is based on McDonnell Douglas MD-12 and the Boeing New Large Airplane (Boeing NLA)). But that then begs the question of where to draw the line of distinction. How 'different' must a design be to be considered a completely new design. The A380 and the 747-8 have many similarities (2 passenger decks, 2 swept tapered dihedral low-wings, 4 wing-mounted engines, cockpit in front with captain sitting on the left side, etc), and if we go back far enough we could even say they are both based on the Wright-bros design (they're all designed as aircraft for air travel)

What exactly defines "highest level of development"...

Not to other planets, to another astronomical body. The Moon is not a planet, it is, well... a moon.

That definition was not settled upon until 2006, so in 1969 the moon would technically still have been a planet ;)

But you are right by todays standard; the IAU definition of planet, as of 2006, excludes the moon. My bad for not keeping up with recent events :)

Not to mention the fact that more people have flown on the 747, it's seen far more service overall, and, IMO, has been far more culturally significant.

I was thinking the same :)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But Concorde is still state-of-the-art in supersonic passenger transport, isn't it? And in the same way the LEM is the state-of-the-art in manned planetary/lunar landers. The technology to do better exists, but unless something is operational, I wouldn't consider it as an advancement of the state of the art.

As for me:
Launcher: toss-up between Energia and Ariane 5. Energia wins by upmass, but Ariane 5 has an actual operational record, and is much more developed with its manufacturing...
Spaceplane: STS
Capsule: Soyuz (Dragon...soon)
Lander: Apollo LEM
Suborbital: SpaceShipOne
Fighter: F-22
Bomber: Tu-160
SST: Concorde

I'm being a bit specialized, huh? Each of those is its own art, I think. :p

But that's if you follow the technical definition. The aesthetic definition is loose as per the OP, so in that case:
Aircraft/spacecraft: XR2 Ravenstar
;)

Polaris

Reaction score
I'll pick the UD4L-Cheynne dropship from Aliens as my pick in the "fantasy" category. Real-life pick: NERVA.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ive recently found mine:
picture.php

picture.php

fictive Italian launcher and Apollo-style craft, its gonna make a great addon!