General Question What is the difference between a demo, playback and tutorial

bruhaha

Reaction score
What is the difference between a demo, playback and tutorial? I have read the manual and understand it from a user perspective, but if I want to get into my own scenarios and demos, I need a deeper understanding.
Here's my understanding. Please correct my understanding and terminology:

1. Tutorials and Playbacks have a playback editor
  2. Tutorials typically have Notes, Camera views, and Time acceleration in the playback
  3. Playbacks and Tutorials have logs in the Flights folder
  4. Demos do not have a playback editor
  5. Demos may be watched in kiosk mode

Are they all basically the same? Could you drag them from one folder to another outside the program?

Where are the logs for Demos? Where are all the autopilot instructions for running a demo?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
A Tutorial is a Playback that has notes in it. That means, that someone, took the time, to explain to the rest of us, what he/she did. And some of the great tutorial publishers, even go as far as to explain "why?". (they did it in that way).

A Playback, is just a recorded flight. All you have to do is to press Ctrl-C and your flight will be recorded. You can then view that flight, (and switch cameras and other stuff), without the worries of actually flying it.

A... Demo? As in a Demonstration? Well, that's exactly what a Playback and a Tutorial are. A Tutorial is a demonstration with notes, a playback is one without.
They are both "Demos".

It's up to you, to see a playback and "catch" the mechanism that made it work, or see a fully annotated "tutorial" and not understand a thing.

Hope this makes sense
:cheers:

bruhaha

Reaction score
This all makes sense. My questions are at a deeper level, as I want to develop my own tutorials and demos.

Demos found in the Demo folder are able to be played in kiosk mode, meaning no user input.

Other than that, is there any difference among the three from a programming perspective? Outside the program, can you just copy or move them into the folder of your choice for them to show up inside the program in the Demo/ Playback/ or Tutorial folders?

What folders contain the logs for Demos?
What folder/files contain all the autopilot instructions for running a demo?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Playbacks are recorded flights you can play back again (hence the name)

Tutorials are a means of teaching somebody something. In orbiter, that sometimes takes the form of an annotated playback.

Demos are live, they are not playbacks. You can interact with them, but after a given time they stop and return to the launchpad.

Any scenario in the Demo folder turns into a demo.
Any scenario with FLIGHTDATA tags and associated flight data in the Flights directory is a playback.