Question What games are you playing?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Begin such an add-on for Orbiter and I'll join you instantly.
I can't deny that I was estimating what might be involved in writing an exporter from such a game to orbiter... But that's all daydreams. Maybe one day when I retire... :ROFLMAO:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
i would really love to have a more Star Trek like experience in gaming.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't deny that I was estimating what might be involved in writing an exporter from such a game to orbiter... But that's all daydreams. Maybe one day when I retire... :ROFLMAO:

I think it would be more realistic to finish before we both enter our midlife crisis (If somebody searches for me then, I will be sailing on the northern oceans) to create such an gameplay inside Orbiter, if based on a common middleware to make contributions by different authors compatible with each other and add some extra services to gamify things.

Also, I think it would be faster to get something done, by not using any known sci-fi franchise, but something created as common canon of many authors and with a semi-hard world building.

Ideally with support for PBEM gameplay. :D

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

What in Blakes name.... wishlisted.

clipper

Reaction score
Haven't tried Odyssey yet, but ED is a blast. Perhaps a bit too much space shooter sometimes, but perhaps that was just my gameplay style
ED is still peak space combat for me - no other game really comes close to nailing the visuals, sounds, and overall feel of flying in space like it does; but unfortunately that's really where most of the good things end because FDev was never really capable of creating interesting gameplay loops, especially for endgame content where your only real option is to either engage is broken and completely unbalanced PvP (which is nowadays mostly reduced to occasional griefing due to how low the player count is), or discovering the same-looking icy planet over and over again which apparently passes for exploration.

As for Odyssey... well, aside from being a broken and unoptimized mess (seriously, they had to cancel console development altogether after a year of blue-balling their customers due to how fundamentally broken that thing is on a technical level), it added a half-assed FPS portion that resembles something from two decades ago and some of the worst layers of grind I've ever seen which ultimately serve no purpose given how underwhelming FPS combat and other ground activities are.

I think the base game is still worth recommending though (especially given how cheap it can get on sale) as one can probably squeeze at least a hundred hours out of it. The biggest problem is that it's pretty much dead right now with practically no future prospects whatsoever and likely slated for maintenance mode in the near future given the recent track record and Frontier's shift of focus towards other IPs.

I would really love to have a more Star Trek like experience in gaming: The ship is the map, everything else outside just happens outside. Instead, you have a large crew to interact with, etc. Maybe some way to visit space stations, switch to a new ship, explore planets... but still, your current ship should be all the world you need. No boredom, because additionally to the events outside the ship and its mission, you also have your relations to the rest of the crew, your own character to develop, etc.
That reminds me of the original vision for Mass Effect: Andromeda - hundreds of planets to explore with a flyable spaceship and the usual Bioware RPG elements focused on your crew. Essentially it was supposed to be what old school Bioware wanted to do with the original Mass Effect in the mid '00s but couldn't due to technical and budget constraints; but between some really bad mismanagement and inexperience of the developers from what was essentially a 'B' team (especially when dealing with the Frostbite engine they decided to use as UE4 wouldn't cut it), we ended up with a game whose only lasting legacy are memes about bad facial animations in vidya.

steph

Reaction score
Oh, it is? Oh well, that means it's also free of the curse of being able to run on my laptop... ?‍♂️

I'm playing on console, Xbox One standard. Haven't tried upgrading the PC yet, it's still an i5 with a boatload of RAM that it can't use until I upgrade to Win 10 and it would need a proper graphics card. At least in my case, playing on console seemed the logical choice. You can find them refurbished for under 100 with at least 6 months of warranty, and it basically means I can play almost anything if I want to. Controller takes some getting used to, but nothing catastrophic, and I think at least Xbox works with keyboard&mouse too. Although, I think one can find good graphic cards under 100 too, here, so I guess it's a matter of hesitation and laziness.

ED is still peak space combat for me - no other game really comes close to nailing the visuals, sounds, and overall feel of flying in space like it does; but unfortunately that's really where most of the good things end because FDev was never really capable of creating interesting gameplay loops,

True, the sense of scale and all the other stuff in Elite were, as far as I know, unique. NMS comes close sometimes, but it's still too cartoonish.

Meanwhile, first EVA in KSP on console... let's just say it could've gone better?

gamer19

Reaction score
I can only recommend you guys to download and try Gunner, HEAT, PC! (GHPC) FREE demo.

https://gunnerheatpc.com/

you'll thank me later. yes it's only a demo but it have plenty to play with. and it's best tank simulation I've ever tried.

ss_1ba8d419ab2778070833d33302792c1446ea8119.600x338.jpg

ss_e1f975d08bdd5633931fdda4e267315f048a1978.600x338.jpg

ss_b09a7333033d7692e7274ecbf8b58651c55a0d58.600x338.jpg

game is in the making, not finished yet, it should be released somewhere in august this year. here's the Steam link:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1705180/Gunner_HEAT_PC/

another thing - night combat looks.... omg scary. like game wasn't hard enough without that ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The map in the game could really need some improvements. Also the AI isn't that smart yet.

steph

Reaction score
I have been playing through the Metro series. Very good, linear story-driven, FPS games.
Played 2033 and Last Light. Both good games. But I hear Exodus is pretty much the best, gameplay and story-wise. Btw, I think the producer is Ukrainian, so they're pretty much in the same boat with the Stalker series, but the writer is russian, and is now on Russia's federal wanted list. No risk of falling from windows, he's outside Russia tho :D

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Played 2033 and Last Light. Both good games. But I hear Exodus is pretty much the best, gameplay and story-wise. Btw, I think the producer is Ukrainian, so they're pretty much in the same boat with the Stalker series, but the writer is russian, and is now on Russia's federal wanted list. No risk of falling from windows, he's outside Russia tho :D
Dude, I went into 2033 and Last Light and did not realize I was going to end up spending three vacation days just playing and playing. Such captivating gameplay, and an incredible take on a post-nuclear apocalypse. I am usually a Fallout player because I adore the style and setting in those games, but Metro just hit a different spot. Artyom's journey is so personal, and I love how you can do some roleplay on the type of morals he has.

Exodus so far has the most polish, and definitely is the most expansive in terms of fleshing out the post-nuclear Russian Federation on the surface. The story has been fantastic so far, but I am playing through it slowly to try and get the most out of it. Being semi-open world is an interesting take, and creates a lot of options for the player in how he or she chooses to go about handling other survivors. The morality system is also more fleshed out, and many story elements are based on your moral decision-making. Are you a good person or a bad person: this will heavily influence your outcomes. It's pretty neat and leaves a lot of room for replays. The way stealth is handled is also a lot better than the predecessor games. I definitely recommend picking it up. Lots of character development too for Artyom along with his compatriots.

--

I feel so bad for all those developers and artists who have had their creativity stifled by arrogance.

speaking of Metro and Stalker, anyone who didn't tried Chernobylite - should
asap

Oh, is that a combination mod like Anomaly for STALKER?

STALKER is a fantastic game series too, but it is such a slow burn for me. I am still playing through SHoC. I want to play through it faster, but each session of gameplay is so random with what you might encounter. Truly a "living" game that can go south so fast.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh mein gott, thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm thinking this is what I play after I finish Metro Exodus.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Started playing Star Trek™: Bridge Commander a few weeks ago.

• Ship to ship battle with tactical depth
  • Intriguing storyline (sometimes you don't have to kill all aliens)
  • Intuitive 3D map
  • Voice acting (Seska is your number one)

Definitely the best (non-realistic) space combat game I've ever played.

20220614224722_1.jpg

20220617212918_1.jpg

20220617210243_1.jpg