He/Him
Clayton Anderson's autobiography.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just started The Last Man on The Moon, Gene Cernan's autobiography.

lotbr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm struggling with The Raw Youth by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I have some 150 pages to go.

MikeB

Reaction score
Just finished Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson, and can highly recommend it.

I don't want to spoil anything, but I have to say near the end, there is an interesting orbital mechanics challenge that might be fun to set up in Orbiter.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just finished it too, good stuff, looks like he's setting up for a sequel.

N.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just finished The Book of Lies by Brad Metzer. Not bad, but I think I saturated myself on these type books earlier in life. After a while they are all pretty much the same.

Currently reading - - A cold Day in Hell by Mark Cain. A Terry Prachett/Douglas Adams type story (book 2 of many) of Steve Minion, Hell's Super (also title of book 1). As the lead in Hell's maintenance department, I can relate. With Beezebub as his direct supervisor (of which I think I can also relate) and Orson Wells as his assistant, Minion dutifully makes what repairs he can, given a painfully accurate parts department; makes for a quick and chuckle filled read.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Right now I'm in a "marathon" H. G. Wells:

The Time Machine, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The Invisible Man, The War of the Worlds, The First Men in the Moon, The Food of the Gods and How It Came to Earth....

I have an H.G. Wells anthology with all of these stories. I love most of these stories, but for some reason The Food of the Gods makes for difficult reading for me. I simply can't get into it; it loses my interest. Really not sure what my problem is with it.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
James Joyce's Ulysses.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Worldwar: Tilting the Balance
Harry Turtledove

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Reading "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)" story of a guy named Bob who has his head frozen after being hit and killed by a car, wakes up 100 years later as a computer machine in a world where the USA is now a fascist theocracy, then becomes a Von neumann probe. Pretty good actually.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Langlebige Software-Architekturen by Carola Lilienthal, a non-fiction book about how to detect, limit and remove technical debts in software projects. Pretty good book, though I admit it is not a topic for everyone.

ZCochrane

Reaction score
Hello, Spacefolk! Long time no see!

I just picked up the first 3 books of "The Expanse" by S.A. Corey, right after viewing the explosive finale to the Syfy Channel's television series by the same name. An outstanding show with memorable characters and - finally - no f*cking "warp drive.... people can walk around on their ship because they can burn/accelerate at a constant g-level, which affords both comfort and quick travel times throughout the solar system. Can't WAIT for one of the Resident Add-On Geniuses who regularly haunt this place to create a model of the MCRN "Tachi" (later rechristened the "Rocinante" by it's new crew, who use it as a lifeboat to escape disaster). Powered by this "Epstein Drive", and with the aid of specially formulated steroidal cocktail injections ("the juice") into the crew, they can endure & survive brief periods of very high acceleration (up to 25 g's !!!), reducing travel times to the closest planets to mere hours or days.

I picked up the first 3 books of the series to tide me over until Season 3 is released in 2018. The closest I could come to finding a similarly sized add-on ship was Stevcast's nice "Annie_V Frigate", so I've been modifying the .ini/cgf files to soup her up a bit. Was able to get to Mars orbit in about 20 hours @ 25gs. Of course, now I can fit into my old school jacket after being pressed that hard into the crash-couch.

I'm also fondly revisiting Larry Niven "Known Space" series. Would love to see a Syfy-treatment of "Ringworld", or "Protector".

Nice to see you all, and to see that interest remains in Orbiter.

Best wishes,
ZCochrane

Last edited:

SweetVM

Reaction score
Just finished Silmarillion. The best Tolkien's work as for me, even better than LOTR