Question What are you reading?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I just finished reading Dune by Frank Herbert, Now I'm reading Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Burr, Carling, Baker. Megaflooding on Earth and Mars. 2005.

Ark

Reaction score
Stephen Baxter - Flood, Ark

Good choice.

Recently finished The Light of Other Days by Stephen Baxter/Arthur C. Clarke. Might be my favorite sci-fi read of the season.

Currently reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. Not bad.

In the queue:

If Chins Could Kill - Bruce Campbell
Redemption Ark - Alastair Reynolds
Absolution Gap - Alastair Reynolds
The Dilbert Principle - Scott Adams

Axertan

Reaction score
I'm currently reading "Dönitz and the wolf packs" by Bernard Edwards

Tychonaut

Underexpanded
Donator
Reaction score
Currently reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. Not bad.

I read Pushing Ice a while back and enjoyed it. I found Reynolds' timeline a bit absurd, though. I'll be impressed if we've managed a manned mission to Mars by 2057 - for humans to be mining comets on an industrial scale by then would require an incredible revolution in space travel.

Personally, I'm currently reading How Apollo Flew to the Moon. Pretty good so far. Not very technical, but interesting details and anecdotes.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just finished "through struggle, the stars". Very nice bit of more or less realistic space opera, although I sure would like to know what kind of heatsinks they are employing on their spaceships to be able to keep their radiators retracted under combat conditions for what seems at least half an hour, lasers firing and thrusting and all. But at least they HAVE radiators.

Although, the most unrealistic aspect of the story is probably an american president that is concerned with matters that won't matter until another century or so after his term :lol:.

Ark

Reaction score
I read Pushing Ice a while back and enjoyed it. I found Reynolds' timeline a bit absurd, though. I'll be impressed if we've managed a manned mission to Mars by 2057 - for humans to be mining comets on an industrial scale by then would require an incredible revolution in space travel.

Yeah, I'm used to ignoring timelines in older fiction, but that was published in '05. Massive fusion-powered comet miners in 50 years is ridiculously optimistic.

That said, I liked the idea of the massive Spican structure actually functioning as a booster stage to accelerate a few more decimal places closer to light speed, while also vacuuming up and imprisoning samples of spacefaring life. The only thing I found slightly unbelievable was that a large, self-sustaining society was built on nothing but the ship's contents, the hundred or so crew, and the contents of a mostly barren moon. He glossed over stuff like long-term medicine and nutrition shortages, or the real consequences of a very limited gene pool.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

I just finished "through struggle, the stars". Very nice bit of more or less realistic space opera, although I sure would like to know what kind of heatsinks they are employing on their spaceships to be able to keep their radiators retracted under combat conditions for what seems at least half an hour, lasers firing and thrusting and all. But at least they HAVE radiators.

Although, the most unrealistic aspect of the story is probably an american president that is concerned with matters that won't matter until another century or so after his term :lol:.

Sounds like one to add to the list.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
well then, i got a good old classic here (a box of them actually) - right now i'm reading "The Hobbit" - needn't i tell you by whom, right?

then i got the other three, which my girlfriend so thoughtfully gave me a few months back - and the best part, all in original english, as it's meant to be read :thumbup:

quite hard to put down, we thinksss..... :cheers:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
James H. Earle's "Graphics Technology, 2nd Edition"
For my engineering graphics class.

Ark

Reaction score
The nice thing is, you can buy the e-book for 5 bucks.

I'm a hardcore eBook Luddite, dude. If it can't take up space on my bookshelf, it's not worth my money. Sooner or later Amazon will have the paperback for $5 shipped. :lol:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm a hardcore eBook Luddite, dude. If it can't take up space on my bookshelf, it's not worth my money. Sooner or later Amazon will have the paperback for $5 shipped. :lol:

So was i, but it's rather difficult to get your hands on foreign books in bosnia, and the post service is somewhat unreliable, so i got over it. By now i have come to actually apreciate it, it's just too convienient to order and carry around...

Graham2001

Reaction score
Joan D. Vinge's The Outcasts of Heaven Belt.

Still one of my favourite works from the 1970's even with all the typo's in my copy.

Fozzy

- Endeavour Crew -
Reaction score
I'm reading the first edition of a book I got here about Astronautic... sadly is pretty outdated because the edition is from 1977 so it says that astronauts from like Apollo missions still doing their duties at NASA. But is pretty cool to learn more about Apollo missions and Yuri Gagarin adventures.

Is so outdated that says that Donald K. Slayton (died in 1993) stills doing his duties at NASA... LOL

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman

Excellent stories about a wonderful man. I highly recommend it.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
cover_277.jpg