Question What are you reading?

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Ulysses by James Joyce. I've realized that that books I enjoy the very most are those that actually make me think about what I'm reading if I want to have a hope of understanding it, as opposed to most books which I can understand pretty fully without devoting my full attention to it. It's definitely not light reading, but damn Joyce sure can write.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I skipped Hawkings book for now,

From what I've read about the book so far, nothing really new since the rather brilliant "short history of time" (which I enjoyed a lot) except that by promoting the multiverse hypothesis, Hawking now definitaly starts a love afair with metaphysics in his old days...

Tycho6

Reaction score
Currently I'm reading Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, one of the books mentioned in the Go Play in Space tutorial. It's fairly heavy going for someone whose math skills are as rusty as mine, but well worth it. Hopefully I can absorb enough to improve my Orbiter skills.

I recently read Paul J. McAuley's novels The Quiet War and Gardens of the Sun. These describe a future confrontation between post-collapse Earth governments and the Outer society, humans living on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn. Great reading, with lots of fodder for Orbiter ship and scenario addons.

Unstung

Reaction score
Based on preference, should I read Fahrenheit 451 or Slaughterhouse-Five first?

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm reading Two Years Before the Mast, by Richard Henry Dana. A sci-fi adaptation of this book would be fascinating.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Mostly Orbiter-Forum, I never seem to have time to read books any more :p. The last one I remember reading was "Reiksguard" - a friend lent it to me from his black library collection, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Space Rescue: Ensuring the Safety of Manned Spacecraft - David Shayler

Graham2001

Reaction score
Cold Fusion - Windsor Chorlton

A techno-thriller set in a frozen world recovering from the effects of a meteor impact. Surprisingly well developed characters for this sort of thing.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Currently reading Moonseed by Steven Baxter. I'm being forced to read The Catcher in The Rye for English Class at school. I just finished The House on Mango Street for that class. Quite possibly the worst book I've ever read

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
I just finished reading Ender's Game (yes, I have some catching up to do with all the sci-fi classics). I read The Forever War before that. Both are excellent.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Currently I'm working through the "Lost Fleet" books by Jack Campbell (not his real name). They are OK. Somewhat mindless, but still OK. They make for a rest after finishing "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco (excellent read BTW).

Graham2001

Reaction score
Prelude to Space by Arthur C. Clarke. First journey to the Moon 1947 style, Earth Orbit Rendezvous, nuclear thermal propulsion (In atmosphere!) and a launch site that used to be called Woomera...

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I stay so busy with other stuff I don't get to read as much as I'd like, but I did finish "Speaker for the Dead" some time ago and have already started on the next book in the series, "Xenocide". So far its been a great series I'd recommend to any sci-fi fan.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
To all the Ender fans...
I MUST recommend "Ender's shadow".
It's Enders game from the point of view as Bean would have seen it. Really opens (opened) new door for OSC to write more sequels.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Beyond Recognition by Ridley Pearson

A detective thriller with a space related twist. The villain is using Titan rocket fuel to set fires, resulting in:

As this decision was being relayed, the sky lit up with a thin column of purple flame that raced up through the clouds and disappeared... The distant sound resembled that of a jet taking off. That purple column had lasted ten seconds. Sirens screamed in the distance.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've just started reading 'The Good Guys wear black' which is a story about the UK's CO-19 armed response team from a former member. So far it's quite interesting and funny.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Finished Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series. I accidently discovered "Mars Life" by Ben Bova, and am somewhat ashamed to find out that it's been around for a few years now.
I'd been caught up in David Weber's Harrington series and missed out.
The whole Bova "Grand Tour" series makes for great reading.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Saturn is good too. One of the best things about the series is that you don't have to read them in order. I'm trying to gather all his books in the series together, I've traded many at a used book store, but wish I'd kept them.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I just finished the Catcher in the Rye. That book just about killed me, it really did. I didn't really think it was an amazing book, but what really knocked me out was the way Holden talked. I got a buzz out of the way he talked about phonies.