Question What are you reading?

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
Just finished Ben Bova's Mars and Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End - both of which were fantastic, next on my shelf is Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

I'm slowly working my way through my slightly overburdened bookshelf having promised myself I'd not buy any more books till I've finished the ones I have; although I suppose excessive book buying isn't the worst vice to have!

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm re-reading the whole Drenai series by the late David Gemmell. If you're into large-scale sieges, swordplay, massive bloodshed, flawed heroes and dry humour, you can't really miss those.

Ark

Reaction score
The whole Bova "Grand Tour" series makes for great reading.

The series occupies an entire shelf on my bookcase. Moonrise/Moonwar and the Asteroid Wars series are personal favorites.

Just finished "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein. Can't believe I waited 21 years to read that one. :thumbup:

Graham2001

Reaction score
Passengers by Michael Laurence (Screenwriter/Director), Thomas Foxworth (Ex-pilot/Author).

Film-script published as a novel. Inspired by the DC-10 affair. Authors seem to have been trying to put the scare on the use of Carbon fiber and fly-by-wire in aircraft.

Tycho

Reaction score
I finished War of the Worlds, H.G Wells a while back (not for the first time, I've read two or three times) and Apollo 13, Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger, two or three days ago, both great books.:thumbup: Still deciding on what to read next.:hmm:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's a coincidence, I just finished the War of the Worlds too !

Wells was obviously a visionary. Also, it's interesting to see that before K. Tsiolkovsky works on rocketry were published, guns were considered as the best solution to travel between planets (Jules Verne greatly contributed to spread that idea).

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Currently reading How To Live On Mars by Robert Zubrin.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I should get this one by the middle of January:
:D

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any books out there about ESA, it's astronauts and projects or the ISS?

I know there's loads of books about NASA's history and such but have many been written about ESA?

Cheers,

Dickie

Kendrick

Reaction score
I just finished reading this morning The Time's travelers wife by Audrey Niffeneger. I'n pretty fascinated on the film that's why I decided to buy the book. It's worth reading since the story is unique and good.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I just finished reading this morning The Time's travelers wife by Audrey Niffeneger. I'n pretty fascinated on the film that's why I decided to buy the book. It's worth reading since the story is unique and good.

I got the DVD as a present and will be watching it this week.

I've also downloaded the Clarke 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 series as ebooks on my iphone. I've never read 2001 before yet the book is so much better than the movie.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I thought 3001 ruined the series for me. Personally, I think it's better off without it. But that's just me...

Keatah

Reaction score
micro-6502, Byte, Ntfs data recovery paperz, Applesoft Basic, Apple ][ reference manual.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Unseen Academicals", by Terry Pratchett.

The first time I read a Discworld novel in its native English language. usually I had German translations, but for this novel, they replaced the old translator by a new one, which didn't care about the existing old material (= many places and people got suddenly new translations), with many German readers giving the translation abysmal ratings, while they really love the English version...still, a strong change. While I can read Pratchett novels in English well, this one means really creating a new dictionary of Discworld terms in my head.

So far, one of the better Discworld novels, I had a few good laughs already on the first eighth of the book, and many smiles about Mr Nutt.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
The last 3 parts of the Rama series from Clarke...in German. Read the first part (in English) during holidays in Scotland but wasn't able to get hold of the other parts. Currently at about 3/5 of the second part.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Right now for me it's: R. Dawkins "The Selfish Gene", Orbiter's API_Guide and API_Reference and a lot of materials about particle accelerators and synchrotron radiation:cool:.