Question What are you reading?

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I just finished Rendezvous with Rama (very good, although the anti-climax at the end means that I won't be able to rest until I've read the rest of the series:mad:), and I'm about to start Destination: Void.

The Case for Mars is a good book, although it gets rather less grounded in reality near the end. Still, I hope we get to try it someday.
Don't do what I did: I read Rendezvous with Rama then I read the last book in the series which completely ruined my chances of reading the ones in the middle.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Sir Archer's (Jeffrey Archer, his lack of an ego means he dosen't write with the "Sir") newest book, A Prisoner of Birth.

An awesome book if you like the idea of time-travel is Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife.

roblin

Reaction score
I am currently reading Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Good for you! Great book, I read it several times. I could not get trough green and blue though.

I am currently reading 'Svitjods undergång och Sveriges födelse' (the fall of Svidjod and the birth of Sweden). The birth of the nation has been subject of much controversy over the years. Partly because of the lack of written records from the time. Sweden was devided country for a looong time with european standards and did not exist at all untill the 13th century. So it is about the death of the Heretic Viking culture and the christening of Sweden, wich the authours claim went really slow and not very well at all :)
That certainly explains a few things about swedes i think.
Intresting stuff... if you are a swede atleast.

The last book on spaceflight was Moondust by Andrew Smith which i reccomend for anyone to read.

And I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of 2 Yuri Gagarin books i bought online. 'Road To The Stars' and 'The Gagarin Mystery'. The first is written by Gagarin himself so I think it is probably propaganda stuff and the mystery one seems to be a conspiracy theory about Gagarins death. Both should be fun to read, i hope!

/Rob

bujin

Reaction score
The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of this book for weeks! Amazon just don't seem to want to stock it (officially) anymore!

Sir Archer's (Jeffrey Archer, his lack of an ego means he dosen't write with the "Sir") newest book, A Prisoner of Birth.

Yuk. Uncle Jeffrey.

gimp1992

Reaction score
I am reading, Apollo the Difinitive Sorce Book and Dexter IN The Dark,

fresh squid

Reaction score
Women, by Charles Bukowski
Although I really should be reading best before dates, because man there
was something wrong with my macaroni salad.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Linear Algebra Textbook *sigh*

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
"Sphere" by M. Crichton

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am 3/4 of the way through Jerry Pournelle's King David's Spaceship and wow! I have forgotten how much I love Pournelle's stuff! Not so much sci-fi as military fiction set in the future, I loved the Falkenberg's Legion series and War World anthologies, but somehow I missed this particular book. Funny thing is it's copyrighted 1980, so he wrote it before STS-1.

So I searched around Amazon and found a hard-bound collection of the War World stories, along with what appears to be a short story that wraps up the whole thing. Amazon's One Click is a dangerous thing for your wallet, but my book's on the way!

Pournelle's "future history" timeline is obviously modeled on Heinlein's but I have never seen a good synopsis of Heinlein's timeline in any of his books. Anyone want to steer me in the right direction? Which Heinlein books are part of that timeline?

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
Aircraft System I by Jeppesen.

LOL. I teach that! That's one of the books we use. I currently am reading "An introduction to the mathematics and methods of astrodymamics" by Richard Battin. Just as a refresher. And go play in space for a translation project.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Book 11 "Knife of Dreams" of Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" fantasy series.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Just finished "V for Vendetta" by Steve Moore (yes, it was some crappy novelisation of the movie, not the original), and "Last chance to see" by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwadine (really reccomend this one, very intresting, and quite funny on top of that). Currently trying to obtain a copy of "1984", still haven't read it.