Question What are you reading?

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Genome" by Matt Ridley - a really fascinating look at genetics full of WTF moments
Japanese Verbs and Essentials of Grammar - "throne" reading, I can learn a new thing on every journey to the loo

stjimmy225

Reaction score
allen carr's easy way to stop smoking for me. hoping its as good as other mates claim

Gorn

Reaction score
Just finished Vincent Bugliosi's Helter Skelter; and Charles Manson's autobiography.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Traffic, by Tom Vanderbilt.

Read the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Slowed down during volume 2, so nearly took me a year to get through the whole thing. Really enjoyed the third volume, so immediately started re-reading the excellent first and second books of volume 1 (Quicksilver and King of the Vagabonds).

But now, will probably re-read The Lord of the Rings. The news these days is so terrifying it feels like Sauron has returned.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
nearly took me a year to get through the whole thing.
The book I'm reading now (Knife of Dreams) is the same book I started reading before my daughter was born. She turns three in February and I'm nearly at the end :dry:

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
"How Round is Your Circle" http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8624.html

It's been well worth every penny I paid for it. it's about bridging the gap between mathematics and engineering -- but through real-world applications you can build yourself. it tackles interesting, often overlooked questions like, "how do you draw a mathematically straight line?" "how do you make the 'first' ruler?" "how do you cut a square hole with a rotating bit?" VERY Interesting stuff, and I recommend everyone here pick up a copy. The math gets a little hairy sometimes, but it's rare and not that bad really (as long as you have a good grasp of geometry and trig). And it ALWAYS encourages you to build something to see how it works.

More:

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am reading Farmer In The Sky, by Robert Heinlein.

fost

Reaction score
Just finished "Mao, the unknow story" by Jung Chang (I recommend it...), now reading "The dark half" by Stephen King

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Just finished "Mao, the unknow story" by Jung Chang (I recommend it...), now reading "The dark half" by Stephen King

Just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem a few days back, I'm starting the Ender's saga now.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Currently reading "Majestic Descending". I'm over half way through it and it's been pretty good. It's about this woman who goes on vacation from her law practice and the cruise ship shes on catches fire and sinks. She finds out just before however there is a murder on it which she gets involved with solving the mystery.

I also bought a science fiction book called, "Ender's Game" for my next read.

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
Currently: Arthur C. Clarke: The complete stories

Before: Arthur Clarke & Stephen Baxter: A Time Odyssey

(yeah, kinda Clarke time currently...)

EJ316

Reaction score
I've just finished Mrs. Dalloway for like the 5th time and I'm reading 'The Wasp Factory' by Banks. Disturbing stuff.