What are you doing to conserve gas?

unknown

Reaction score
No, don't do that, razgriz31m, do you want to die by explosion if you do that?

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is a death wish on the roads here. The only city in Australia you can really cycle most places is Canberra. The roads there are well set up with cycleways, cycle lanes, crossings etc. Also there seems to be a more considerate attitude from the drivers towards cyclists, probably because a higher percentage of the population uses bikes compared to other Australian cities.

Yeah,I have tried cycling through sydney. That wasnt much fun to be honest. Boston is still the worst city for cycling, though, there the drivers seem to actually try to aim for the bikes.

as it is we're still being played by OPEC and big Oil. They have us just where they want us.

If you don't like OPEC being in control then you can always buy Russian oil ;)
Or you can buy no oil at all, if a lot of peopel do the same thing then the oil companies get the message.
I prefer just buying stock in the oil companies though, that way you can still get the gas, plus they still make money and in addition you also make money (assuming you have more than one braincell and some common sense). Win-win situation.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I prefer just buying stock in the oil companies though, that way you can still get the gas, plus they still make money and in addition you also make money (assuming you have more than one braincell and some common sense). Win-win situation.
Same theory as buying bank stocks when interest rates go up - assuming you have the cash to do so.

Reaction score
i'm not gonna kill myself, em just kidding. Why would I do that?

unknown

Reaction score
Another one, electrical vehicles caused by the charging or solar panels.

helpme

Reaction score
We need to follow the rules of environment.

OneTinSoldier

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I like cars and I like driving. I'm somewhat of a car/driving enthusiast. But I am also somewhat of a practical thinker, so what I say next may seem a little bit hypocritical...

I'm trying to convince our government that we really don't need 10,000 racetracks around the country each with 50 major gas guzzling cars on them going around in circles. We could probably do without the 1/4 mile dragsters too.

People want them and cheer them on. I don't really blame them, as I said, I'm an enthusiast and I can understand the entertainment value. But with gas well into the 3 dollars a gallon range let's start being practical.

Car manufacturers used to use information gathered from these race cars to make some significant advancements in automobile technology. Nowadays they have test fleets that are driven around in the real world which are used for the advancement of auto technology. I do not feel that having 50 cars that each get 5 miles a gallon driving around in a circle is a good thing right now.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't have any hard data to point to but the fans driving to your average Nascar race probably use more gas than the cars in the race do.

OneTinSoldier

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't have any hard data either and the numbers in my post above were probably a little exaggerated, except maybe the 5 miles per gallon number. But my thoughts are, just how fuel efficient is it to have cars going around in circles? Obviously racers do this because they are competitive and they enjoy it, and so do fans. As I said, I understand this. Heck, I wouldn't mind doing it. But my desire to see us start conserving fuel outweighs that desire, and my post is made with the thought of all these cars on tracks around the country(and the world) just going around in circles. How fuel efficient is that behavior? It seems to me that just going around in a circle achieves nearly zero fuel efficiency. Not to mention that if that if Nascar and other races were abolished all that fuel used by fans getting to and from the race would be saved.

And it's not just the big name races I'm thinking about. Here where I live we have an oval Speedway. Is it well known and are races on it televised? Nope, not at all and never.

Now, I'm not trying to say we should all only drive to and from work and to the grocery store and back. But to me, it's just the thought of all these gas guzzling cars, powerful yes but guzllers, driving around in a circle, and the fuel efficiency achieved by doing this.

The fuel used might not be significant compared to the fans driving to and from the race, but does that make it ok to use the precious juice(from the movie The Road Warrior) in such a wanton matter?

I have hope. My hope is that one day we will all be driving around Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars. We know that Hydrogen is extremely abundant. Perhaps so abundant that there would be no concern regarding how much of it is used to power us around to our destinations. And hydrogen fuel cell cars are reported to emit only water([FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]H2O) and heat as their exhaust. Furthermore, my hope is that a way would be found to make these types of cars powerful, so that racers and fans can enjoy guilt free(or nearly so) competitions.

I hate to see racing around in a circle end myself, but with gas at well over 3 dollars a gallon I think it's time to start thinking practically. Everyone is going to have their own way of thinking about how we can conserve the precious juice. My own personal thoughts turned to how fuel efficient is it to have gas guzzlers running around in a circle for hours at a time? For anyone who thinks that my thoughts concerning this matter is something that shouldn't even be considered as a waste of fuel at all, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Now, time for me to go out and buy my Smart Fortwo. Anyone seen these cars? They're pretty funky looking, hehe. Oh, btw, the Smart Fortwo
[/FONT]will be distributed by the United Auto Group, a U.S. dealer group owned by racing legend Roger Penske.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Attachments

• 800px-Smart.city.coupe.unionflag.arp.jpg
    800px-Smart.city.coupe.unionflag.arp.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 3

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Excellent post, OTS! I'm a big F1 fan, yet I see the logic behind your thinking. Perhaps modify racing so that there is a requirement to use alternate fuel/engines so that all the $$ spent on engine development eventually translates into new fuels/engines that can be mass produced for the regular consumer.

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I disagree. The amount of fuel used by race cars is small potatoes compared to all the other fuel we "waste". If you argue that fuel comsumption used to go around in circles is "evil" (probably not the least polarizing choice of words, I'll admit) then fuel consumption to watch cars go around in circles is surely evil as well. If that is evil than so is using precious juice to watch a group of grown men kick a football around (be it the spherical European kind or the oblong American variety). If we go that far, then where do we stop?