Request Wendover AFB for X-15

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I was going through some old records when I found a video saying that for the high altitude flights, the B-52 took off from Wendover AFB. Is it possible to implement this in Orbiter? I searched on OH and came up with nothing.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Having read at least 3 of the books that Greg & Scott cited as source material for Project X-15, I don't recall seeing any reference to the flight you mention. If it did happen at all, you can bet it was a pretty insignificant event given the the depth and attention to the smallest details they put into Project X-15. If it wasn't in their add-on, it wasn't more than a footnote to the program.

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Hi Star Voyager. According to wikipedia, Wendover AFB was turned over to the city of Wendover UT in 1977. Using easytiler, I have made some Earthlevel6 textures. I'll make up a base addon and upload it to OH. :)

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Sweet! That would help a lot! I'll have to use that easytiler some time! You got a link for it?

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Hi Star Voyager. Easytiler is available at OH. [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3069"]EasyTiler v.0.9 BETA[/ame]

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll definitely use this in the future :speakcool:.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Having read at least 3 of the books that Greg & Scott cited as source material for Project X-15, I don't recall seeing any reference to the flight you mention. If it did happen at all, you can bet it was a pretty insignificant event given the the depth and attention to the smallest details they put into Project X-15. If it wasn't in their add-on, it wasn't more than a footnote to the program.

Insignificant event? Not per Time Magazine or the National Air and Space Museum.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,893871,00.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=Jj...esult&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I didn't know you did those add-ons! I love the Daedalus texture. I'm actually using right now :speakcool:. Thanks, it is what I'm looking for. I also love your JSC/Ellington add-on, too.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Later tomorrow, I'll add some hangars and a tower, and I could PM the saved base config to you, if you want.

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Hi Star Voyager. Glad to see that helped you :). That would be fine on the pm, or post your base modifications here, so everyone could benefit. Appreciate your comments on Daedalus and JSC. :)

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Hey Nuke! How've you been?

What I draw from the link you posted..."With a pilot in its cramped cockpit, it will be carried 35,000 ft. above Wendover Air Force Base, Utah by a specially adapted B-52" is that the X-15 was launched over Wendover, not that the B-52 took off from there. IIRC, the B-52 typically launched the X-15 above a dry lake, airfield or base as a contingency against the XLR-99 not igniting. The base/lakebed was required to be accessible to an unpowered X-15 in the event of an emergency.

I didn't mean to imply that the flight itself was insignificant (or the X-15 program for that matter!).

Though the X-15 landed and took off from a number of bases while attached to the B-52, in so far as I know all operational flights left Edwards.