Problem Weird backslash problem

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
The problem is as follows:

Keys on the keyboard: [ ] \
How Orbiter reads them: <nothing> [ ]

In effect I have no backslash and therefore I can't control retro doors in XR ships (Ctrl-\).

First thing that comes to mind - keyboard layout issues. Well, I ruled that out. I changed my keyboard layout and it didn't change anything. Also, it appears that Orbiter uses keyboard interface independent of keyboard layout, namely scan codes.

Here is the part where it gets really weird - I suspected that for some reason my keyboard sends wrong scan codes and that's why Orbiter can't read them. Therefore I downloaded a program (called Keyboard Test) that shows scan codes for pressed keys. Surprise - scan codes were exactly matching the ones defined in OrbiterAPI.h (the OAPI_KEY_* definitions). So... why the hell does Orbiter read them in such a weird way?

Anyone has any ideas how this can be fixed? Thanks in advance!

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Have you try to check if this problem occurs in clear Orbiter install? Maybe the problem is with some add on, not Orbiter itself.

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
The same on clean Orbiter. Since there is no XR2 on clean Orbiter to check retro doors, I checked the autopilots - ] turns on prograde and \ retrograde, while the proper keys should be [ and ].

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Have you tried setting an English keyboard layout in Windows?

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
It's a laptop, ASUS M51TA AS003C-1 if that helps.

Setting an English keyboard layout is exactly what I meant by "I changed my keyboard layout" :p Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

I'm even starting to think of writing an addon that would let the user remap the keys, if Orbiter API even allows for something like that (tbh, I know pretty much nothing about it yet).

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I've search a little bit(approximately 4 or 5 seconds:cool:) for solution for your problem cause it's quite interesting and mighty Google says: It's caused by the MCIR 105 keyboard driver that gets installed on XP Media Center 2005, Vista Home Premium, and Vista Ultimate.
So if you haven't fixed it yet then try this solution. It's the last post on that page
sorry it's 7th post counting from the top, I'm having some internet connection problems right now and apparently that site didn't fully load
. I hope it will help:cheers:.

Last edited:

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Uh, I forgot to mention it, but I found it too. I have no MCIR keyboard among my keyboards though, so the solution posted there doesn't apply to my case (unless I understood something wrong).

Thanks anyway! :)

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Heh, so you have to keep looking:). But have you try to reinstall standard keyboard driver anyway. Maybe this would somehow help.