Gaming VTOL VR - VR Combat Flight Sim

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The future of VR flight simming?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Random youtube review so you can see how it works, because I was too lazy to set up recording for my own:

Basically, the idea is to get rid of keyboard/mouse/janky look-cursor/etc and have the only controls be the VR hand controls.

Want to push a button? Move the VR hand to the button, pull the trigger to press the button, or hold it down while you flick the switch or turn the knob or whatever.

If you want to control the joystick or throttle (more like a helicopter collective than an airplane throttle), you stick your hand where the control is in virtual space (and it's very forgiving as far as how big the area is), tap the grip buttons, and now that controller is the joystick or throttle.

Rudder pedals are an option if you have them, or you can use twist on the in-game joystick.

I've now spent more time in this game in the last two days than I have in any VR game for the last several months combined. It's amazing, and was totally worth the sale price (still on sale for another 36 hours or so). If you have a VR headset and enjoy combat flight sims, get this game.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Are the controls precise? Don't you tire from moving?

I've never tried any VR stuff, but I remember the Nintendo Wii and it had those problems.
It was great fun but a bit hit and miss and physically intensive.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Are the controls precise? Don't you tire from moving?

I've never tried any VR stuff, but I remember the Nintendo Wii and it had those problems.
It was great fun but a bit hit and miss and physically intensive.
The Vive tracking method is good for sub-millimeter accuracy in theory, and from my experience it's plenty accurate. In the case of this game, I never had any issues getting it to do exactly what I wanted.

As for getting tired, one of the advantages of the higher precision is that it doesn't require big over-the-top motions to do what you want. While something like a tennis game will (by design) tire you out, games like this where movement is slower/smaller can easily be done for more than an hour at a time. I also found that I could prop up the Vive wand on my chair armrest and pivot around that point, which was pretty fantastic to use as a joystick.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Another review from a couple months back by PhlyDaily...

If Phly seems familiar, it's because he's usually doing videos on War Thunder.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A new update is now available, featuring a new aircraft (the fictional FA-26B multirole fighter) and a scenario editor: