Vista Hate :D

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Warning: this is a rant, in case the title were't obvious enough.

Anyway, I'm completely fed up with Vista's crap. Since a month after I got it, I've been fighting with UAC and Data Execution Prevention, which are supposedly helping protect my computer but in reality are doing very little of that and a whole lot of forcing me to run every little program as an administrator unless I want it to crash and burn, and still half the time preventing programs from working. Ever since a few weeks after I got the infernal machine, the Search feature has failed to notice three-quarters of my files. I can look at a thumbnail in My Pictures, and then search for it with negative results. I haven't installed a program in the last month without it failing utterly thanks to Vista's crap (data execution prevention, UAC, etc. etc.). Many of the programs I've had for years are getting killed as well. Last time Vista forced me to update it, Homeworld2, uTorrent, and the freaking 'open file location' option in dropdown menus stopped working. Any day now, Orbiter will cease to be playable with this craptacular OS. I feel like I'm abusing an animal every time Vista starts up on this poor computer.

Shoot me now... :suicide:

...Or maybe just find me a copy of Windows XP. ;)

It's about time I finally 'down'-graded.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Personally never had a problem with it. But honestly, I'd recommend UPgrading to Windows7. Much better OS than Vista. New version of the same kernel, but fixed to what Vista should have been. My two cents.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. I fixed though. This should solve your problem.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Simple disable UAC if you don't like it; it's a piece of cake. If DEP is triggering on your system, you may want to scan your system with an anti-virus program -- I've never, ever, had DEP trigger.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Solution: Windows 7.
Seriously, it's awesome. You'll wonder why you were using XP for so long.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Overwhelming response: 7 doesn't seem so bad after all. :lol:

DBeachy: DEP was triggering for a perfectly legal copy of Homeworld2, as well as any version of IL-2 other than 1.0. Maybe it's just because they're both quite old?

Also, I've disabled UAC in the past, but it returns and must be disabled again every time Vista updates (another thing which seems exclusive to my copy.) I guess I forgot to this time. :embarrassed:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I agree get windows 7 its so much better than Vista, it lets you do stuff. In Vista I was trying to install a mod for Dawn of War but it wouldn't let me so what I eventually had to do was, move all the file for DoW but leave the root folder, unzip the mod into the folder, move the game files back over the mod, then I could finally use the mod.

Darren

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Msconfig -> UAC -> Disable.

Three clicks and half your problems are gone.

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
I never had an issue with Vista at all, but apparently others have, such as this case. Go for Windows 7, you won't rue it.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm with the majority, Windows 7 is the place to be. And as Gary says, UAC isn't a problem for anyone who knows how to manipulate an OS to be what you want it to be, rather than what its creators say it should be.